Average new car payment $554

Status
Not open for further replies.
I budget $450/month for maintenance and repair for all five cars. I usually accumulate a considerable surplus over the course of a year.

With all of the $50K+ vehicles I see on the roads these days, I'd say this number is quite a bit low...

Originally Posted by tony1679
Originally Posted by clinebarger
At 29 years old....NO WAY, NO HOW!!

I don't have a Mortgage or a Car Payment. And even if I was single, I couldn't see 200K getting me very far!
Owning a home & land is expensive!
I have two ways to easily do this.
1. I can buy an acre of family land with an existing well and septic for $5k. I can then build a small, simple, extremely energy efficient house for well under $75k, as I've already had multiple estimates based on what I want. Then pay off both cars (rounding way up) for $20k. That's only $100k. I have no debt other than that, so that's $100k I can put in savings, invest, etc. With no real bills, $100k will last a very long time with my lifestyle.

2. I can buy my current house I'm renting for $125k. I'd instantly have $25-50k equity in it (again, family deal). Paying off the two cars would leave me $55-60k, plus $25-50k in equity. My lifestyle consists of surfing BITOG and the everlasting hunt for the motherload of clearance oil. Not to mention the things I could do for income in all that free time that I couldn't do now.

Of course, as ad244 said, assuming I don't rack up millions in medical bills.

It wouldn't be that hard around here - I bought a couple of lots at a tax sale a few years back, 1/4 acre each, adjacent, on a small lake about twenty miles south of here, all paved roads, for < $7K IIRC. City water, but no sewer, so I would have to add septic. Big mobile home dealer used the biggest double wide they sold as a sales office, when they wanted to rotate it out, I bought it for $15-20K ( don't remember) and moved it to some land over in OK where I planned on renting it out, but has just sat there unused ever since.

So that's $27K, figure another $20K for septic, moving the thing back to Arkansas, and fixing up / repairs, and a small boat to fish from, and that's < $50K to be living on 1/2 acre on a nice little lake. I would think if you were frugal, another $400 / month would cover your other expenses. Take a part time job greeting at Wal Mart.

For a while I sold pre fab buildings off one of my empty lots - I had a cabin size building with a porch, etc., that people would finish out as a hunting cabin, lake cabin, etc. for not much money.

Originally Posted by grampi
With all of the $50K+ vehicles I see on the roads these days, I'd say this number is quite a bit low...

The payment number is probably in line, but the number of months the vehicle is financed for is the variable.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Originally Posted by Linctex
Way, way, way too many people are "living beyond their means" ...!!!!!!

No car/boat/toy payments and no credit card debt. Just a mortgage and I sleep pretty good at night....

Yes...That.

I sleep pretty well at night knowing my family has a safe, reliable, comfortable, car that has a fairly low payment. Its one thing if i break down in my beater when its 105 degrees, its another for a spouse with kids. But $550 bucks a month would be too rich for my sensibility.

Originally Posted by Win

I don't have a Mortgage or a Car Payment. And even if I was single, I couldn't see 200K getting me very far!
1. I can buy an acre of family land with an existing well and septic for $5k. I can then build a small, simple, extremely energy efficient house for well under $75k, as I've already had multiple estimates based on what I want. Then pay off both cars (rounding way up) for $20k. That's only $100k. I have no debt other than that, so that's $100k I can put in savings, invest, etc. With no real bills, $100k will last a very long time with my lifestyle.

2. I can buy my current house I'm renting for $125k. I'd instantly have $25-50k equity in it (again, family deal). Paying off the two cars would leave me $55-60k, plus $25-50k in equity. My lifestyle consists of surfing BITOG and the everlasting hunt for the motherload of clearance oil. Not to mention the things I could do for income in all that free time that I couldn't do now.

It wouldn't be that hard around here - I bought a couple of lots at a tax sale a few years back, 1/4 acre each, adjacent, on a small lake about twenty miles south of here, all paved roads, for < $7K IIRC. City water, but no sewer, so I would have to add septic. Big mobile home dealer used the biggest double wide they sold as a sales office, when they wanted to rotate it out, I bought it for $15-20K ( don't remember) and moved it to some land over in OK where I planned on renting it out, but has just sat there unused ever since.

So that's $27K, figure another $20K for septic, moving the thing back to Arkansas, and fixing up / repairs, and a small boat to fish from, and that's < $50K to be living on 1/2 acre on a nice little lake. I would think if you were frugal, another $400 / month would cover your other expenses. Take a part time job greeting at Wal Mart.

For a while I sold pre fab buildings off one of my empty lots - I had a cabin size building with a porch, etc., that people would finish out as a hunting cabin, lake cabin, etc. for not much money.

See? I'm not the only one who gets it.

With advent of Uber/Lylt I never think much of breaking down driving my paid for cash 200k 11 year old rusty Acura MDX that costs at most 2-3 payments $550 in repairs/ maintenance a year. Those people doing $550/month still have maintenance and potentially repairs if elongated 72 or 84 month term.

Originally Posted by izualangel
I sleep pretty well at night knowing my family has a safe, reliable, comfortable, car that has a fairly low payment. Its one thing if i break down in my beater when its 105 degrees, its another for a spouse with kids. But $550 bucks a month would be too rich for my sensibility.

Your city/state is funny!...

Originally Posted by SeaJay

This is the pre-2008 housing crisis in a nutshell, now days with a do-over involving automobile loans.

Those who fail to understand history are bound to repeat it.

Reading your comment I was saying to myself, that is exactly what led to the housing collapse of '08.

And they're doing it with cars now, like you mentioned. In this thread I posted a link to a study done by the NY Federal Reserve and they found a record number (7+mill) of vehicle loans are 90+ days behind.

A lot of people are buying cars they simply can't afford. At some point the Piper has to be paid...but on the upside, that's potentially 7mill repos to potentially get a good deal on! (I hope that didn't sound too callous)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Win

See? I'm not the only one who gets it.

Pretty admirable, but not for me--married with two kids, need a house larger than a minimum.

I've thought about moving south when I get close to retirement, make my money up here, move south, but I'm not sure I could convince the better half about that.

This is the pre-2008 housing crisis in a nutshell, now days with a do-over involving automobile loans.

Reading your comment I was saying to myself, that is exactly what led to the housing collapse of '08.

And they're doing it with cars now, like you mentioned. In this thread I posted a link to a study done by the NY Federal Reserve and they found a record number (7+mill) of vehicle loans are 90+ days behind.

A lot of people are buying cars they simply can't afford. At some point the Piper has to be paid...but on the upside, that's potentially 7mill repos to potentially get a good deal on! (I hope that didn't sound too callous)

Yeah...much as I like my Vic, a Hemi Charger or Challenger is really tempting.

Originally Posted by supton

Pretty admirable, but not for me--married with two kids, need a house larger than a minimum.

I've thought about moving south when I get close to retirement, make my money up here, move south, but I'm not sure I could convince the better half about that.

A double-wide is usually 1300+ square feet, frequently with 3BR/2BA.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
You can really stretch your retirement in the south.

Yeah I know. Problem is, I enjoy New England fall, and spring time can be something else also--the sudden snap from winter to warm can be very heady. But those long nights are something else.

To move south I'd probably have to turn into a night owl or something, I burn too easily, and even up here it's almost time for me to quit being outside from 10am to 5pm, too much sunlight.

Maybe if I got rich enough so I could summer someplace north.

Someone would have to offer me an absolutely obscene amount of money to convince me to sell my house- but if that happens we are headed to Kiawah or Seabrook Island. Although I'd probably still need to add a garage.

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle

Yeah...much as I like my Vic, a Hemi Charger or Challenger is really tempting.

Tell me about it. I just have to many other things to do with my money. Like college for two kids in a few years..a car for each as they go off to school. Maybe when they're out of the house I'll treat myself. That's the whole wants v. needs thing. I want a new rig but honestly, I don't need one right now.

If you are lucky, one day your wants will become doable without too much pain.
My wants are to put children through college, etc.
I have a few promises out there that I intend to keep.

Originally Posted by fdcg27
Originally Posted by HowAboutThis
Here's my math:
If you pay $30k cash and put what would have been the car payments into savings @ 2.2% for 5 years, $525/mth into savings, you end up with $33,300, a gain of $3,300.

If you take a $30k loan out @ 1.9% and leave your $30k in savings growing at 2.2% you
Pay an extra $1470 in interest and earn $3490 in interest. A net gain of $2,020.

That's how. Feel free to check my math if you'd like. I won't gurantee I didn't make an error somewhere with online calculators.

I don't know what errors you've made in your arithmetic or assumptions, but there's no way you can come out ahead in earnings, not savings, giving up 2.2% in interest to save 1.9%.
This is simple arbitrage to anyone with even a minor knowledge of finance and investment.

I laid my numbers out. Calculate it yourself. You're honestly going to say my numbers feel wrong but not prove it?

Let me rephrase my buying option. Assume I have $30k in cash. Option 1: pay $30k for car with cash, put what would have been the car payment into savings at 2.2% rate. After 5 years, how much do I have?

Option 2: Keep $30k cash in savings account for 5 years at 2.2% rate. Take $30k loan out at 1.9%.

Option 1: $524.52 per month into savings for 5 years, compounded daily. After 5 years, $33,328 in hand.

Option 2: $524.52 paid monthly for car payment. $31472.29 paid for car. $33480 in savings account. So, made $3480-1470 in interest to pay for car loan. Net gain of $2410. Option 1 I had a gain of $3328. I can't simplify it any more, don't "feel like I'm wrong" prove to yourself I'm right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back