Cost to replace a clutch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious: about how much would the average mechanic (not a dealer) charge to change the clutch on a small car like a Corolla or Civic? I'm fortunate enough to have never needed a new clutch and am wondering about maintainance costs of an older used manual vs an auto.

A 2006 Toyota Corolla clutch kit is only about $ 120.00 . Labour will be the major cost, typically 4 to 8 hours. Plus flywheel machining if needed.

All in, you are usually looking at under $ 1000 ...

IF you can do it yourself, you can save a chunk of change. You will almost always need a lift, and a transmission jack, stuff the average DIY guy doesn't have.

Rockauto ...

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by geeman789
A 2006 Toyota Corolla clutch kit is only about $ 120.00 . Labour will be the major cost, typically 4 to 8 hours. Plus flywheel machining if needed.

All in, you are usually looking at under $ 1000 ...

IF you can do it yourself, you can save a chunk of change. You will almost always need a lift, and a transmission jack, stuff the average DIY guy doesn't have.

Rockauto ...

[Linked Image]

Not really. I've done enough clutches in my garage over the years to know this. A RWD is almost always easier than a FWD, but either is a pretty straightforward job.
If you're in decent shape, you can bench the transaxle back into place. Done that enough times.
All you need is a floor jack or two to support the engine and there are fairly inexpensive arrangements that bolt to the strut towers and suspend it from the top.
The big deal is the cradle arrangement you find in newer cars. Just getting it loose can be a protracted affair.
The last couple of clutches I had done, for between $500.00 and a grand each, but the more costly job included a new flywheel.
The OP would need to shop this kind of job and also consider what's included in the price.

back in 1993 it was $365 at an independent shop for an Accord hatchback.
Had to bring it back for a mandatory re-adjust/ check 400 miles later.
Surprised any shop does it for less than $900 nowadays........ 21st Century sucks.

Cheapest I found around me, NC, for my car (RWD) was 980 in 2017-ish. Spent $230 for a clutch kit, flywheel, and rear main seal and did the work myself. Discovered a lot of new curse words.

Buy a new flywheel and clutch combo. Think it was around 1000 with a MTF change included. Sometimes you can get an Exedy or Act stage 1 kit cheaper than oem. Just a bit stiffer pedal feel.

We don't change clutches anymore. Obsolete tech. We change transmissions as a unit, CVT/autos.

Last clutch I changed was shade tree , as a teenager . 1966 Mercury Comet 289 . Installed a clutch & presure plate made for a HP 289 Mustang . Seems like parts were around $ 50 ?

Originally Posted by Elkins45
Just curious: about how much would the average mechanic (not a dealer) charge to change the clutch on a small car like a Corolla or Civic? I'm fortunate enough to have never needed a new clutch and am wondering about maintainance costs of an older used manual vs an auto.

I would call a specific shop. All you will get by posting is guessing.

Originally Posted by Lubener
Originally Posted by Elkins45

I would call a specific shop. All you will get by posting is guessing.

And when you call around, the answer will always be that you have to bring the car in to get a quote.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back