Can this split in the seam be fixed on this Mercedes seat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
After digging online, looks like this a typical Mercedes Benz issue. The seam is split in half. I know the seat can be re-upholstered by a shop but I'm curious to see if anyone had had anything like this fixed by stitching the seam back together to avoid re-upholstering the entire seat and/or seat cushion which would cost more money.

Thanks for the suggestions.

IMG_8927.JPG

IMG_8928.JPG

Well,taking the seat out is a given. Fixed?Maybe. Looks to me either a high density individual or someone climbed in knee first. All my splits were the latter and it looks pretty bad. Subscribing as I want to know your outcome. Throw a towel over to keep contamination and the sun from causing any further damage. Best of luck.

Originally Posted by spasm3
Looks like you need a new lower seat cover, i doubt that can be successfully sewn back together.

Agreed, look like the material is torn, not just a seam that broke open.

This is a very common Mercedes MB-Tex issue. Basically I would just buy the seat cover from MB, there's a few places you can buy it online for less than the dealer list price. Either have an indy replace it or the dealer. If you take it to an upholstery shop and they stitch it together again, it may end up ripping again as there's not that much fabric and it will make it even tighter so more prone to ripping again. It was kinda of a defect so I think the new seat covers are better or at least you have a 2 year warranty on the part.

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212/602908-2011-e350-4matic-driver-seat-ripped.html

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212/520176-driver-s-seat-keeps-ripping-apart.html

That seam, no. No repair is going to work. Seams that are on the side were the SRS units are can be. They are stitched in an overlap method on each side, then butt stitched together. They look double stitched, but the stitching you actually see is not the stitching that attaches the two sides together.What you have there is perforated leather simply butt stitched, once it starts to fail, its not repairable to look OE. Its the weakest type of leather seams there is. You might be able to find some leather workman to repair in some fashion, but it will never look OE.

I really hate perforated leather. Why do so many car companies use it? It seems like it would be a pita to keep clean plus would weaken the integrity and strength of the leather.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
I really hate perforated leather. Why do so many car companies use it? It seems like it would be a pita to keep clean plus would weaken the integrity and strength of the leather.

It's great if the seats are cooled!

Originally Posted by dishdude

It's great if the seats are cooled!

Agree. Heated and cooled seats are great, and feature perforated leather/vinyl.

It's great even if the seats aren't ventilated. Much cooler than non-perforated leather/vinyl. I've had 5 cars so far with perforated leather, and no issues keeping them clean.

I'll echo what others here have said: I think a new cover from Mercedes is probably the best option.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
It's great even if the seats aren't ventilated. Much cooler than non-perforated leather/vinyl. I've had 5 cars so far with perforated leather, and no issues keeping them clean.

I'll echo what others here have said: I think a new cover from Mercedes is probably the best option.

Stand by for this...

...totally agree on all your points!

(I'll alert the media)

Perforated leather is actually pretty durable believe it or not, at least it is on my Acura's. My TL-S W/240k only started to rip a small spot on the base of the seat like this MBZ only mine was just a small spot under my right cheek where I was sitting on my gun in my back pocket. It was really my fault!

Perforated leather is also great for race track leathers, nice and cool!

Originally Posted by KneeGrinder

Perforated leather is actually pretty durable believe it or not, at least it is on my Acura's. My TL-S W/240k only started to rip a small spot on the base of the seat like this MBZ only mine was just a small spot under my right cheek where I was sitting on my gun in my back pocket. It was really my fault!

Just as a reference point...last year we sold our 2000 model (18 years old) Mercedes E320 with perforated leather seats in it - no rips or tears.

Originally Posted by HYUNDAIFAN0001
Originally Posted by KneeGrinder

Just as a reference point...last year we sold our 2000 model (18 years old) Mercedes E320 with perforated leather seats in it - no rips or tears.

Basically a QC problem. Lots of people have chipped in and said how great MB-tex is and how durable it is. For some reason in the W212, the supplier must have cut too many corners and they tended to rip. They seemed to have fixed that problem in the later years. Same thing with the faded wood, some supplier problem, but the previous generation never had a problem with faded wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back