Cellphone law in Tennessee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not long ago I was in an unfamiliar place so decided to turn on the navigation on my phone. So I pulled off the road into what looked like the perfect spot. It was a bus turnout with no buses waiting. Almost the minute I stopped a police car pulled up and asked me to move on! I see people pull onto the shoulder all the time to fiddle with their phones, even on the interstate. That is just dangerous.

Originally Posted by eljefino
Originally Posted by grampi

That won't stop it either. Only way to stop it is to make phones not work while in a vehicle with the ignition on....

What about passengers?

I say tough for them. Why do people NEED to be on their phones while they're in the vehicle anyway? It can wait until they arrive at their destination...unless they can figure out a way to only deactivate the phone of the person sitting in the driver's seat...

Originally Posted by hatt
Originally Posted by WyrTwister
Question is , will it be enforced ?

Sure. By people driving around on laptops, phones, and radios.

Precisely.

CA has had a hands free law for years. As others have posted, enforcement is tough.
There are not enough Officers and Officers have other priorities.
Driving while using a cell phone is a huge problem; I see lotsa soccer Moms driving their Suburbans with a car fulla screaming kids squaking away on their phones.

I am sure the laws have helped, awareness has helped. But is is a huge problem.
I guess people seem to follow the law when it suits them.

Here's our rules...
https://roadsafety.transport.nsw.gov.au/stayingsafe/mobilephones/know-the-rules.html

I think it's around $300, and normally loses 5 (or your 12) licence points...this weekend is a long weekend, so everything gets doubled.

Being in an SUV, you can see that well over half the people stopped at lights are using their phone on their lap.

A workmate got done...his phone rang, he picked it up to see that it was work ringing during a failure, he put it down and pulled over...but the cops got him for handling it...they are very fickle in their enforcemcent

but as other posters have mentioned, it's not dangerous/illegal to use them if you are a cop.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Shannow
Here's our rules...
https://roadsafety.transport.nsw.gov.au/stayingsafe/mobilephones/know-the-rules.html

I think it's around $300, and normally loses 5 (or your 12) licence points...this weekend is a long weekend, so everything gets doubled.

Being in an SUV, you can see that well over half the people stopped at lights are using their phone on their lap.

A workmate got done...his phone rang, he picked it up to see that it was work ringing during a failure, he put it down and pulled over...but the cops got him for handling it...they are very fickle in their enforcemcent

but as other posters have mentioned, it's not dangerous/illegal to use them if you are a cop.

Too many rules.

Originally Posted by Trav
enforce it to the max with cameras also

This could easily be done in the DC area 15 years ago that I know about.

I use to have to go to driver safety meetings because some truck driver got caught tailgating in the DC area. Safety guy would post the pictures for everybody to see, and those pictures plainly showed the face of the driver, the tag number, the DOT number of the truck, the truck company name, and the distance between the truck, and the vehicle that was being tailgated. Two strikes and you got fired.

Originally Posted by BigD1
enforce it to the max with cameras also

This could easily be done in the DC area 15 years ago that I know about.

Wouldn't really work. Chicago had A LOT of traffic cameras but they were all deemed illegal and taken down. The primary factors being that there's no police present to give you the ticket and there's no way to prove that you were driving the car.

Originally Posted by Pew
The primary factors being that there's no police present to give you the ticket and there's no way to prove that you were driving the car.

I guess you missed that DC cameras had pictures of truck driver's faces that were driving the trucks. It was like a close up shot right through the front windshield with a wide angle that showed face, and the side of the truck cab with truck number, DOT number, and etc.. Kind of hard to argue you were not driving it, when they have your mug shot driving it.

I am not going to argue any legal bits, but the technology is there to do it. Pretty sure camera technology has vastly improved from 15 years ago.

The drivers were not getting ticketed. I guess it was more like complaints from DC traffic authorities to the safety managers of trucking companies.

Originally Posted by BigD1
Originally Posted by Pew
The primary factors being that there's no police present to give you the ticket and there's no way to prove that you were driving the car.

I guess you missed that DC cameras had pictures of truck driver's faces that were driving the trucks. It was like a close up shot right through the front windshield with a wide angle that showed face, and the side of the truck cab with truck number, DOT number, and etc.. Kind of hard to argue you were not driving it, when they have your mug shot driving it.

I am not going to argue any legal bits, but the technology is there to do it. Pretty sure camera technology has vastly improved from 15 years ago.

The drivers were not getting ticketed. I guess it was more like complaints from DC traffic authorities to the safety managers of trucking companies.

But that doesn't solve the issue with passenger vehicles. Commercial vehicles definitely easier considering they have the DOT number on the outside and there are records of who drove what/when/where with that company.

Camera tech has improved, but anything government-owned hasn't. The videos and pictures this state will show you of your car running a red light or anything else illegal looks like it's from a cellphone camera 10 years ago.

Last edited:
The only problem with that is the fine is too little, it should be $500 and 30 days license gone automatic, then enforce it to the max with cameras also.
If you want a law to work you have the make the punishment really painful, the $500 may not hurt everyone but burning the shoe leather for a month will most.
Ditto red light/stop sign running and tailgating. Get caught under 21 and license gone for a year mandatory.

Exactly, the same people that take up two handicap spaces at Walmart with their BMW Roadster. They'll pay that 250 fine, if caught....

My idea/prediction is coming true.

Heard a couple weeks ago that insurance companies ARE watching and listening.

I heard that most are jacking up rates as high as 150% for 3-5 years after a driver gets a ticket from a cell phone use violation.

I've said for years the only entity to stop the cell phone use while driving will be the Insurance companies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back