1995 Cougar

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the very moderate climate in which you live, no harm in using a 10W-40 any time of the year.
We used to use that grade all the time in everything and it gets much colder here.
Still a 10W qualified oil, so you'd have no problems in using that grade in warmer weather.

Looks great! That's awesome you were able to find such a low mileage, well cared for example.

I'd be okay with running the 10W40 in it.

Originally Posted by talest
Originally Posted by JasonC
I had a 1989 Thunderbird Super Coupe and it was a pain to get it aligned!

I had a 1988 regular V6 one and it was alright, cool digital dash. And roomy. I liked that car.

Totally different-the 1988 was a Fox-body. 1989+ is the MN12.

Originally Posted by JustinH
Yep I had a bunch of Tbirds and Cougars.

The 95 has the aluminum intake manifold so it won't crack. Not much power and not much gear.

The transmission in the weak point so keep the fluid clean, and put a cooler on it if you want to.

Other than that they are fairly non problematic. I have done heater cores in a couple of them which is not fun.

Some of the front end suspension parts are getting tough to find, these things eat control arms.

Spot on with everything. I had a 96 that had cracked the plastic intake. Add a trans cooler it will save you a lot of issues later on. Keep the underside flushed in winter. They love to rust at the rockers and the bottom of the doors.

The 10W-40 would be great for a summer OCI with that car.

Nice car in really nice shape. A real 'throwback' machine to a different style of car.

Thanks, all! It is nice to drive a car that doesn't have touchscreen this or USB port that. Knobs and pushbuttons, with a real V8 under the hood. I miss those days.

Originally Posted by Puckrobber
Thanks, all! It is nice to drive a car that doesn't have touchscreen this or USB port that. Knobs and pushbuttons, with a real V8 under the hood. I miss those days.

Too bad it is an old 4.6
wink.gif

Originally Posted by dwcopple
some 3:55 or 3:73 gears in the rear end will wake it up nicely...do it

I put a set of PI heads on mine from a 99 mustang. Really woke it up too.

I had a 12 second 96 thunderbird.

Honestly with the IRS suspension, I would get into suspension tuning and not trying to make it a drag car.

They are great cars to drive around the canyons with a nice upgraded swaybar setup and subframe connectors, cobra brakes, and 18 inch wheels.

I had a '95 TBird with the 4.6. Some (maybe all) 1995s are OBDII compliant so a modern code reader may work.

Changing the oil filter is a bit of a puzzle for this platform. You have to rotate the filter several times to get it past all the stuff in the way. So have fun and be prepared to get a bit messy if the oil comes out while you are manipulating the filter out of the car.

Decided the cost, and possible destruction, of the engine in my '08 Taurus (due to the internal water pump) wasn't worth the stress. So, I traded it in yesterday for a clean 1995 Mercury Cougar XR7 with under 58,000 miles on it. Previous owner had oil changed every 2000-4000 miles, but, only averaged 2400 miles per year!

Has 4-speed auto, 4.6L V8 engine, and no "hi-tech" nonsense to deal with. Drove it home in rush-hour traffic from Seattle to Bremerton, and it was smooth & quiet. Even in 2 hours of stop-and-go driving, not getting above 15-20 mph.

Now, for the fun. The last oil change done, by a Seattle Ford dealer, lists it as getting 5W-20 oil.
confused2.gif
I didn't think that was right, so, checking the manual, 5W-30 is preferred. Haven't yet decided what brand of oil to go with next round, but, considering either 5-30 or 10-30, since the weather will be getting warmer. Plus, would like to give the insides a nice cleaning.

Any opinions?

Here is a video of the fun time you'll have with the oil filter. I think I got a strap wrench in there, but this YouTuber uses a cap wrench and a collection of extensions and u-joints to work it loose.

Then at about 4:00 you see him start to manipulate the filter out of the car.

https://youtu.be/8p8N0m5DoOs

Originally Posted by javacontour
Here is a video of the fun time you'll have with the oil filter. I think I got a strap wrench in there, but this YouTuber uses a cap wrench and a collection of extensions and u-joints to work it loose.

Then at about 4:00 you see him start to manipulate the filter out of the car.

https://youtu.be/8p8N0m5DoOs

Thanks for the entertainment!
lol.gif
Unfortunately, I can't do my own oil changes anymore, due to heart problems. So, I'll pay someone to do it for me. In fact, just had the Cougar's oil changed earlier today, and it runs smooth and silky. Thanks for all the info, folks!

Originally Posted by clinebarger
Got a Ford dealership just a couple miles from home. Yeah, I know. Lots of $$$. But, for major stuff like alignments, I'll pay the price for it, knowing it's done right.

Don't be surprised if they decline performing any work on that car other than basic stuff. Isn't this the 4.6L with the Ignition Cables routed under the Alternator?

Well, at least the alternator is not directly under the water pump like on an old foreign KA24E.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back