iam a confused old man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the two hyundais in my singture.both have about 26000 miles on them.
I bought them both new.my wife drives the sonata and I drive the santafe.
I never had any problems with any of the hyundais I have owned.
both have the 2.4 engine.at last oil change I used synpower which
I use all the time.oil was in for one year.one Hyundai tec told me to
always use syn because they are gdi engines. the other said use
convential oil.the santafe had 5000 miles on it when I had it changed.
iam 72 years old and can no longer change my own oil.i change
every fall and spring what would you do?

I would consider finding a quality shop that would charge $10-15 to do an oil change where you provide your own oil and filter if you want to make sure what goes in the cars.

If not, just find a local shop that uses quality oil and filters at a reasonable price.

Do you have a family member close by who can do the changes for you? If not you are stuck with taking the cars to a shop or the dealership.

An oil / filter is cheap insurance .

I am a few years behind you & it is getting more difficult to change oil , myself .

While I do not own a Hyundai , I do own 3 GM cars . One specifies DEXOS 1 , the other 2 do not .

No more often than you change oil/filter , I recommend you use the best you can afford . And , being in NY , I am guessing you are in the salt belt ? Keep the cars washed ( especially underneath ) and rust coated .

Do not think you are the only one that gets confused . But , some times you can use it as an advantage . Something messes up , say you were confused ! :)

Best of luck to you , :)

Wait for the OLM to go off, then take the car to Hyudai for an oil/filter change... like 99% of the population. No shame in it, and your cars will be fine.

I think he's asking if he should use syn or conv. In your GDI engines use a SN+ and/or D1G2 oil. Syn or conv doesn't matter.

To keep it simple and on cheaper side but providing good car care:

- get Hyundai or Kia oil filters from either dealer or Amazon
- get SuperTech synthetic 5w-30 oil from Walmart
- take filter and oil to garage of your choice and have them use your oil and filter, pay labor only. If Walmart changes oil in your area and you trust their work - just bring the filter with you and ask them to put SuperTech synthetic 5w-30 oil in and your filter.

Maybe your Pastor would do it? I change the oil for 5 of my members. They pay for oil and filter and I change it for free. Along with ATF and DIffs and coolant.

I shudda been a grease monkey
banana2.gif

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Wait for the OLM to go off, then take the car to Hyudai for an oil/filter change... like 99% of the population. No shame in it, and your cars will be fine.

When did Hyundai start using a OLM? I just follow the manual that says every 6-months or 3,750 miles for severe service.

Since you have Theta ll engines I would tend to agree with the first Tech.

Both of them are correct.

For different reasons, though...

1) Mineral "Dino" oil is better at preventing/reducing intake valve deposits.
2) Synthetic oil is better at protecting the bottom internal components.

I honestly would run synthetic myself, and not worry about valve deposits.
Conversely, the Hyundai/Kia owner's manuals specify plain ol' Quaker State (typically)

I do NOT think GDI makes a difference on what kind of oil you should run.
If you change 2X a year (fall & spring) I think plain conventional oil will be just fine.

If they were my vehicles,
As suggested, find an independent shop that you trust
Bring them OE Hyundai oil filters
Bring 5W-20 Pennzoil Platinum, available at Walmart for a good price.
5W-20 as this is what Hyundai recommends, which is a good thing for warranty coverage if needed.
Change at 3,750 mile intervals. It's the Hyundai Canadian OCI requirement, which is also the severe service requirement.

Another vote for carrying in your own oil & filter to an indy shop. Mine only charges $15 labor and he works on my car in front of me.

Synthetic oil changes are overpriced at dealers & chain shops, and once they take your car into the back, who knows what oil they put in.

Originally Posted by ernied
I have the two hyundais in my singture.both have about 26000 miles on them.
I bought them both new.my wife drives the sonata and I drive the santafe.
I never had any problems with any of the hyundais I have owned.
both have the 2.4 engine.at last oil change I used synpower which
I use all the time.oil was in for one year.one Hyundai tec told me to
always use syn because they are gdi engines. the other said use
convential oil.the santafe had 5000 miles on it when I had it changed.
iam 72 years old and can no longer change my own oil.i change
every fall and spring what would you do?

This just goes to show you why oil tales will be around forever.

Get a shop to put in what it says on the cap, there is no magic here.

Originally Posted by mclasser
Another vote for carrying in your own oil & filter to an indy shop. Mine only charges $15 labor and he works on my car in front of me.

Synthetic oil changes are overpriced at dealers & chain shops, and once they take your car into the back, who knows what oil they put in.

01.gif

I am that guy. I show up with a jug of oil and usually a filter and they just look at me and I look at them. They know. Deep down, they admire the customer that knows what they want, how they want it, and how they are going to get it. I also strike a balance of hanging around and watching them without affecting their room to work (besides, they don't like you back where they are, for insurance reasons) and then I check the car dipstick and other things, since I know how it looked when it went in and when it went out. Then I leave, in my car.

My KIA dealership uses Conoco-Phillips syn blend 5W-20. I let them do the first oil change (it was free.) From then on, I have done my own with WIX filters and synthetic oil every 5K.

I see no mention of Quaker State in any literature for the KIA. However, my wife Santa Fe DOES say Quaker State in manual (it was even on the paper floor boards when we bought car....)

I'm in my 40's due to a bunch of medical issues had to give up doing my own oil changes. There is a garage down the street that will left me bring my own oil and filter in they only charge me 25$ The local honda dealers will do it for me for 25$. Check around most places should be able to accommodate you.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW

Originally Posted by MONKEYMAN
When did Hyundai start using a OLM? I just follow the manual that says every 6-months or 3,750 miles for severe service.

Newer Hyundai's have a "dumb" OLM. Not sure when it started (I know my sisters 2010 Santa Fe does not have one).
I know mine I can program the mileage that the reminder comes on.

Nothing fancy like others that use hours, temp, mileage, etc to actually figure out use.

Originally Posted by dubber09
To keep it simple and on cheaper side but providing good car care:

- get Hyundai or Kia oil filters from either dealer or Amazon (or Walmart)
- get SuperTech synthetic 5w-30 oil from Walmart
- take filter and oil to garage of your choice and have them use your oil and filter, pay labor only. If Walmart changes oil in your area and you trust their work - just bring the filter with you and ask them to put SuperTech synthetic 5w-30 oil in and your filter.

This.
I would stick with a 5,000 mile/1 year interval.

Originally Posted by talest
Originally Posted by mclasser

01.gif

I am that guy. I show up with a jug of oil and usually a filter and they just look at me and I look at them. They know. Deep down, they admire the customer that knows what they want, how they want it, and how they are going to get it. I also strike a balance of hanging around and watching them without affecting their room to work (besides, they don't like you back where they are, for insurance reasons) and then I check the car dipstick and other things, since I know how it looked when it went in and when it went out. Then I leave, in my car.

Major Ditto's on that. If they object to you using your own oil and filter and watching, then find another indy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back