Can I run 15w-40 diesel in a gas engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was picking up some oil today at Walmart and happened to notice the 15-40 diesel oil. It does not have gasoline engine ratings so I didn't buy. Just wondering, is there any reason it could not be run in a conventional gas engine car when past warranty, and if not, why?

Works great in old BMW's too.
Actually, they seem to really like it.
19.gif

My saturn s-series loved the stuff too. Didn't burn it, which subtracts octane from the air/fuel/oil mix, which made the car run better.

Yes, a subjective interpretation that an engine "likes" an oil is far more important than the manufacturer's required specification or approval.

The official sanctioned answer is it would have a zinc content of more than 800 ppm and cannot be certified for use in vehicles with catalytic convertors. The Bitog answer if your car doesn't burn oil, run it and now one will know the difference. Your choice.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by kschachn
Yes, a subjective interpretation that an engine "likes" an oil is far more important than the manufacturer's required specification or approval.

Now you're learning!
01.gif

In my Lexus right now, 15W40 SuperTech Heavy Duty SN rated + 640:1 TCW-3

Last edited:
Originally Posted by kschachn

yeah my car likes "extra virgin olive oil" too but I don't use it....

Last edited:
Yes they do. It will say api SN if it says anything else, send it to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back