Why does motul oil have such a short shelf-life?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: beanoil

Is there a shelf life on lubricants?

Motul is certified to ISO 9001. According to our quality procedure, Motul products are guaranteed for two years after their production date. To ensure the validity of this guarantee, a reference sample of each production batch is kept systematically and checked on a scheduled basis.

Their website does not say you can't use it. It says because of their procedure, they can't guarantee it. Big difference.

Very true, and most other oil companies have very similar policies.

In past i have used torco sr5 in 2012.
Bottle date 2003.My forged engine never had any issue. Of course i can't technically proof anything about oil condition..
Today bought 300V motul 5w40.
Two 2lt. bottles write 2/2018 and third 2lt. bottle write 12 month of 2017.
I dont know esters and andittives losts their chemicals properties but for sure from 2013 especialy group 4-5 racing oils i buy max 3 years old oils..

Originally Posted by Cat117
I bought my first bike, and i recently did my first sparkplug and oil change on it.

I noticed that the motul website states that no one should run the oils after 2 years of storage from the manufacturing date stated on the bottle.

The thing is thats only a few months from now , and this stuff is expensive.

Does anyone no why this stuff has such a short shelf life?

Oil in question is motul 7100 10w-40

Because they want you to throw away your perfectly good oil and buy more, of course.

I bought some off Ebay and the first half of the bottle was thin goop, The rest had settled to the bottom . Never saw that before ,but who knows how long or where it was stored .

I still have some Motul 5100 10W40 from 2011 I think.
Also quite a few liters of 7100 10w30 and 16 liters of 913D Specific from 2014.
Zero problems with oil or containers.Stored in a shady basement with no climate control.
My 913D stash is sufficient for about 6-7 years more.The last drops of it will be 10 years old or more.
49.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back