Can auto insurance be denied if....

Status
Not open for further replies.
My agent asked me how many miles I drive annually, so if I have the car 4 years fully insured, and total it, if my mileage is over my estimate I gave them, can they deny my claim?

How much over?

If you said it was a storage car and put 30k miles on it, I'm sure they'd have a leg to stand on....

Yes, but it's pretty much unheard of. Just be honest, the savings are so minimal that it's just not worth it.

The question my agent asks is: "Please estimate how many miles you will be driving this car per year."

An estimate is just that, a guesstimate, a prediction based on your driving routine and experience and it can vary.

No, but they can check with the state to see the miles on the registration, and figure it out from there, which then they may raise your insurance premiums.

Originally Posted by UG_Passat
No, but they can check with the state to see the miles on the registration, and figure it out from there, which then they may raise your insurance premiums.

Unless he's in Chicagoland or metro east St. Louis, the State of Illinois has no idea how many miles that any car in this state has on it.

The only way they'd know is from emissions inspections. I'm downstate, and the state has no idea as to how many miles that any of my vehicles have on them. There's no recording of mileage as a part of yearly registrations.

Unless it's a huge difference, I don't see it being a big deal at all.

If life changes and you go from a 5 mile work commute to an 85 mile work commute, stuff happens, sometimes you don't always think to immediately call your insurance company to tattle on yourself.

Only if it's way, way over

If you told them you drive 10k miles a year and you drive it 11k, that is not a problem at all. If you drove 25k, that might be a problem.

There are two different questions here:

1) Can auto insurance be denied if....

2) Denial of a claim for underestimating mileage.

I spoke to my Farmer's agent and he said they can deny insurance coverage for a number of stated reasons, but predicted mileage estimates are asked for to determine what your premiums should be.

I.e., a car driven 30k miles/year has a higher probability of being involved in an accident than say one driven 5k miles/year.

Premiums are based on a number of Actuarial scenarios, not just on miles driven.

(Actuarial Science is the discipline that applies mathematical and statistical methods to assess risk in insurance, finance and other industries and professions. Actuaries are professionals trained in this discipline).

Last edited:
Read YOUR policy. Bet there's a line about denying coverage for material misrepresentations on the application.

They can't police everyone that pays them money, but they have the time and resources to check on those who they will pay their money to.

In theory yes, but it is hard to proof of fraud. If you drive that many miles they know you are likely using it for long commute or for business / work purposes, so they also ask you your commute distance and days. If you put down the wrong number intentionally then that's fraud.

As mentioned, in theory yes. In my case just driving two of my vehicles cross country could double the annual mileage of one, and more than triple it in another. Proving fraud would be pretty tough is the point I'm making. In the case of my van a NY to Florida round trip would double the annual miles driven.

That would require telling them your mileage in the first place, something I've never done/had to do.
21.gif

Originally Posted by tony1679
That would require telling them your mileage in the first place, something I've never done/had to do.
21.gif

Here they ask yearly, even though premiums are due every 6 months. And if you're involved in an accident, after the obligatory was anyone hurt question they ask if you were driving your car for Lyft, Uber, etc.

Originally Posted by Vern_in_IL
My agent asked me how many miles I drive annually, so if I have the car 4 years fully insured, and total it, if my mileage is over my estimate I gave them, can they deny my claim?

Depends. If you were insuring the car as a Classic/Antique but using it as a daily driver then I suspect they would have grounds to drop you as a customer and/or deny a claim. Otherwise no, not really.

Originally Posted by Vern_in_IL
My agent asked me how many miles I drive annually,

Sure it's not for a discount? I remember years ago that if you state under 7500 miles a year, you got a lower rate. If you actually drove more, I doubt they could deny a claim, just take back the discount.

Once I retired, I requested a 'discount' because I drive 7,500 miles or less per year.
This is with State Farm and I save $70.00 per year.

Just to protect myself, I always save my last two Inspection Receipts showing mileage.

They are looking to see if the car is used to commute a little or a lot or if just pleasure usage.

I am 99.999% sure they will never deny a claim based upon the mileage of a vehicle. The mileage might be used to set the totaled car value. And next premium.

You can also ignore the annual questionnaire and they will still insure you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back