Broke axle pinch stud

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Linked Image]

Broke two of these studs by torquing them twice as much. I replaced them and got regular nuts to use. The oem nuts are flanged I believe is the term? Rode a distance with them over the weekend. The bottom left one was loose. I was at a hardware store yesterday and decided to get the nuts that stick out but could only find these that have grooves.
[Linked Image]

Are these the same as without grooves? I think the only purpose of the studs is to act as a fail-safe if the axle comes loose. I just want to be sure I can get them off.
For those wondering the studs are threaded and I used vice grips. Right handed thread so lefty loosy. Prob wouldve been easier putting two bolts on next to each other and wrenching out the bottom bolt with the top bolt acting as leverage as that's how I installed them with no damage. I did notice the new studs fit a little loose so I blue loctite'd them. Guess this is common since the torque value is approx 6 ft/lbs and I torqued them to 12. I now know how careful I have to be around studs as there is no feeling of when to stop whatsoever. 6x30 automotive axle studs is what they are called in the hardware store. They have a 1" thread pitch

Originally Posted by pda1122
[Linked Image]

Broke two of these studs by torquing them twice as much. I replaced them and got regular nuts to use. The oem nuts are flanged I believe is the term? Rode a distance with them over the weekend. The bottom left one was loose. I was at a hardware store yesterday and decided to get the nuts that stick out but could only find these that have grooves.
[Linked Image]

Are these the same as without grooves? I think the only purpose of the studs is to act as a fail-safe if the axle comes loose. I just want to be sure I can get them off.
For those wondering the studs are threaded and I used vice grips. Right handed thread so lefty loosy. Prob wouldve been easier putting two bolts on next to each other and wrenching out the bottom bolt with the top bolt acting as leverage as that's how I installed them with no damage. I did notice the new studs fit a little loose so I blue loctite'd them. Guess this is common since the torque value is approx 6 ft/lbs and I torqued them to 12. I now know how careful I have to be around studs as there is no feeling of when to stop whatsoever. 6x30 automotive axle studs is what they are called in the hardware store. They have a 1" thread pitch

Just an FYI, there is no 1" thread pitch, it's 1.0mm. Standard thread pitch in the USA is measured in TPI "thread's per inch" and those are metric 6mm diameter x 30mm long x 1.0mm !

Did you torque down the new nuts to the appropriate torque? If I were in your shoes, I'd would probably not use grooved nuts, not wanting to mar the mating surface. I'd do one of the following: add a washer under the new nut, put a dab of thread locker, get a smooth flanged nut, probably with some thread locker again, or my top choice would be to get a nylon locking flanged nut. I really like Vibratite as a thread locker lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back