Why are threads on Fram Ultra thread "outies" instead of "inies"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of my vehicles has a hard to reach oil filter which causes me to have to line up the filter with the threads by feel instead of by looking. Most oil filters have the center threaded hole punched into the filter and threaded. Fram Ultras have the base plate showing the sharp edge/end of the threaded hole. In most applications this doesn't matter, but in practice it means that the installer needs to keep the filter body exactly perpendicular the the threaded base in order to start the threads correctly and spin the filter on.

Every other filter works the other way around, the the curved center area of the base plate acts as a kind of alignment piloting feature which makes it much easier to spin the filter on correctly even when you can't see it well with your eyes.

I think other Frams work the same way, but I only have Ultras on hand to confirm. Fram on the left, M1 on the right in photo below.

[Linked Image]

Does this casue problems for anyone else?

The chamfer leads on these filters are identical.
The fact that the FPS filter has a boss feature outside of the thread is immaterial with respect to your ability to start the thread on the mating component.

Not just Ultras. Fram uses the protruding non beveled thread boss design on it's smallest filters, (6607, 7317, 4967, 4386). Yes it does make lining up with the mounting stud more difficult in hard to see applications. You'll note in other applications, Fram uses a slightly protruding but beveled design. In fact, the latter design is shown on all Fram boxes, even the ones listed above.

If you look at a Champ ecore, the topic design is/was the reason given for their auxiliary outside baseplate. Designed to make installation easier in blind, hard to see applications. Without it, it would look similar to the design of 7317 shown.

This "feature" has never added more than 3-4 seconds extra time to get a filter threaded on. For me, it's totally a non-issue, and I do 50+ oil changes a year.

If your sense of feel is pretty keen, you can rock the filter on the nipple to find where "flat is" before you start threading.

Originally Posted by Linctex
If your sense of feel is pretty keen, you can rock the filter on the nipple to find where "flat is" before you start threading.

This right here. You just need a little more practice to keep her happy! Neither boss type bothers me, OTTOMH I think the Wix filters I use are the flush type, and obviously the FUs are proud of the face.

I think the Fram style probably requires a little more "dish" in the ADBV which theoretically should be a more robust seal, but I'm not a filter engineer. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express during my last visit to Texas
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back