Goodyear Wranglers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Kruse
I purchased three of them from a chain store for my Jeep Cherokee a few years back. The store only had three at the time, so I purchased another one a week later at a different store. No road hazard was purchased.
About 15K miles later, one of the tires was cracking real bad in the tread area. My jeep had no suspension or steering issues. Took it back to the store manager and I was told that neither Goodyear nor the store would
help me because I hadn't purchased the road hazard warranty. I told him that the issue wasn't a road hazard issue, but a manufacturing problem. Didn't matter, I was told. I asked the tire manager if he would ride in a vehicle that
this tire was on. Absolutely not, tire was not safe to have on any car.
So my record with Goodyear Wrangers is that they are okay...75% of the time. Those will be the last Goodyear tires that I will ever own.

Sounds like a shop that isn't worried about repeat business.

I'd throw most Wranglers in the O.K., category. I have some on my 2017 Silverado, 29k miles. I plan to go Michelin next.

Wrangler HPs on my Kia Sportage were out of round within 20,000 miles after I'd mounted them. I won't be buying Goodyears again. There's a lot of other makes out there for me.

My GY SRA that came stick on my ram 1500 were done at 26500 miles. Terrible in the rain. No complaints in winter weather though.

My GY SRA that came stick on my ram 1500 were done at 26500 miles. Terrible in the rain. No complaints in winter weather though.

I've purchased one set of GY tires but owned several sets from used car purchases.

The one set I bought, I researched heavily and was very pleased with them - it was a highway all season that out-rated michelins on Tire Rack. May have been from the Assurance line.

The rest were aged, and I consistently saw them wear well, didn't seem to have balance issues, which point well to good manufacturing qualities. Where they all fell short, consistently, was wet traction and road noise. Wet traction was really bad. My speculation is that GY rubber must harden a lot with age.

I sold the minivan with those assurance tires after 3-4 years. They were still one of the best sets of tires I'd driven - and they had not degraded in wet handling - but they also probably had 2/3 tread remaining, so whether or not they'd have declined in later years I can't know.

I'm not opposed to GY, but it seems for my needs they have more losers than winners it makes rolling the dice with them less inviting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back