Super tech filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Forever we had purolator filters at our local Walmart then all the sudden they were gone. Now the budget offering is exclusively super tech. Who makes them for Walmart and how are they? I know I'm the box it says good for 10,000 miles.

Last edited:
Your real first clue should be when you look down at the side of the box and the verbiage "Efficiency rating based on removing particles greater than 30 microns"

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Your real first clue should be when you
look down at the side of the box and the verbiage "Efficiency rating based on removing particles greater than
30 microns"

Is that good?

Originally Posted by ad244
look down at the side of the box and the verbiage "Efficiency rating based on removing particles greater than
30 microns"

Is that good?

It's an oil filter that costs $2.96, that will filter your oil. It won't void your warranty, as long as you use it according to manufacturer's recommendations.

It is hot and sexy with a lot of marketing? No.

Will it do the job? Yes.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
They are made by Champ
Some may be, but the ST10358 cartridge for my Toyota appears very nearly identical in construction to the corresponding Fram Extra Guard 10358, US-made version. The box construction is also identical. (Chinese-made Extra Guards of the same number are different.) With the Fram label, they cost over twice as much as the ST10358.

Originally Posted by mrsilv04
30 microns"

Is that good?

It's an oil filter that costs $2.96, that will filter your oil. It won't void your warranty, as long as you use it according to manufacturer's recommendations.

Will it do the job? Yes.

Ok, this thread got weird real quick!...‚

I thought it was Champ Labs also???

Originally Posted by CR94
They are made by Champ
Some may be, but the ST10358 cartridge for my Toyota appears very nearly identical in construction to the corresponding Fram Extra Guard 10358, US-made version. The box construction is also identical. (Chinese-made Extra Guards of the same number are different.) With the Fram label, they cost over twice as much as the ST10358.

Does it look like this?

Because that is definitely a Champ. It's possible that Fram sources that filter from Champ, and in fact, Fram and Champ used to be the same company.

Champ does use that yellow-dotted date code

Originally Posted by mrsilv04
30 microns"

Is that good?

Will it do the job? Yes.

If an aftermarket filter is used while a car is under warranty, the car manufacturer could in fact deny engine damage warranty and make you go after the filter manufacturer. Safest thing to do to ensure that potential quagmire doesn't happen is use OEM filters while the car is under factory warranty.

Originally Posted by KneeGrinder
I believe they were made by Wix for only a short time a few years ago, Champ seems to have the contract now.

Color change when the source changed.

Originally Posted by KneeGrinder
Well, what color are they presently?

The ST on my lawn tractor is white, but its a few years old.

The current Champ made ST are blue.

The Wix made were white.

Prior to that, they were black and were Champ made.

As noted, back to Champ Labs made now, and majority are ecores. 6607 keeps the classic design. And the 9688 is a newfangled hybrid design, ecore cage, metal endcaps and Champ blue button poppet type bypass.

^^^^^

Exactly right... I think the 9688 is a interesting design... Definitely strong I'd bet.

Originally Posted by CR94
They are made by Champ

Does it look like this?

Because that is definitely a Champ. It's possible that Fram sources that filter from Champ, and in fact, Fram and Champ used to be the same company.

Champ does use that yellow-dotted date code

I learn something new every day... did not know that.

I've never tried them but I looked at the ST oil filters at walmart and they seemed very well built for the price. I believe it said good for 10k miles on the box.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back