Saturn sc thermostat water pump

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone so my Saturn seems to run around 180 which I'm pretty sure is a little cool. I've read on Saturn fans to replace the thermostat. My question is this. The engine has 120,000 miles on it and I'm not sure if the water pump has ever been done. Would you do it or say heck with it and run it and maybe just replace the thermostat?

There is the OEM thermostat housing, and the aftermarket.
The aftermarket has problems with the OEM and Stant thermostat fitting properly...

The way to tell is by looking at the thermostat, if it says "Made In Germany", you have an OEM housing, and thermostat...

If you have an OEM housing, get a Stant 14279 thermostat, also available at Advanced Auto under house brand...

Otherwise get a housing and thermostat from RockAuto, 12T49D
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/saturn,2002,sc+coupe,1.9l+l4+dohc,1388516,cooling+system,thermostat,2200

Just thermostat. The water pump gasket is an iffy affair.

When I last did one 6-ish years ago, the rebuilt pump from advance came with the best gasket-- thick and gooey like a tire plug. The new pumps has cheezy paper gaskets.

Originally Posted by ram_man
Hey everyone so my Saturn seems to run around 180 which I'm pretty sure is a little cool.

From what source do get that information? The gauge? I'd check what the engine sees through the engine temp sensor which I assume is not the source for the gauge. Anyway, on a 20 year old car I'd be pretty happy if it ran cool and avoided overheating.

You really can't tell what temp its running by the gauge. When running properly, the saturns i had would run just under 1/2 way in winter fully warmed. In summer between 1/2 and 3/4. My fans would cut in just past the 3/4 mark.

Check the build date. Saturns before 02 had polymer coolant temp sensors that would leak and would corrode out the connector. The 02 had brass. Its possible if you got and early 02 with a 01 build date for it to be polymer.

On my 99 SL2 thermostats lasted 100k, but on an 80k replacement motor it needed to be replaced as soon as the shop installed the engine. Needle would not go above 1/4. I got one from Napa which was a Stant. Before that German OEM ones. Not so lucky with water pumps. One went at 120k. Second around 200k. On second motor just kept a water pump ready to install. Someone hit and cracked my fender in a Target parking lot. Crunch and run. Came home one day and water pump was leaking shortly after since that side was where the impact occurred.

I know the temperature because I used a scan tool I should have said that. The factory gauge doesn't have any numbers on it.
It was built in 05/01 hopefully the sensor been done .
I guess there isn't a way to know other than removing it.

Originally Posted by ram_man
I know the temperature because I used a scan tool I should have said that. The factory gauge doesn't have any numbers on it.
It was built in 05/01 hopefully the sensor been done .
I guess there isn't a way to know other than removing it.

Here is what they look like. Polymer on the left ( its cracked), new brass on the right.

Sometimes the polymer leaks through and corrodes the connector. U-pullit for the connector.

If it's an 05/01 build I would pull and check it. If it's bad, it will run really rich.

How many miles on the car?

IMG_20190610_212118597.jpg

IMG_20190610_213207599.jpg

Last edited:
I would leave the pump alone unless it's leaking. I changed the stock pump on a '94 Saturn at 172,000, and the Advance Auto "lifetime" replacement only lasted 23,000. (Also, the stock impeller looked better than the new one.) The replacement for the replacement was a completely different style, made from aluminum with a paper gasket instead of the stamped steel with an o-ring type gasket. I got rid of the car soon after, so I don't know if the new design was any more robust.

The stock thermostat was sticking open around 160,000. I don't know actual numbers, but the gauge was running at about 1/4. The original made in Germany stat was stamped 85C/185F. The Napa replacement said 87C/189F. The new one brought the temp needle back up to 1/2.

Well after further review I am more seriously contemplating the water pump replacement. Have a look and tell me what you guys think. Looks like maybe it seeped at one time and isn't right now

620414FC-91A8-482F-A342-AE03FB734A85.jpeg

BD9A7D98-9BD2-41E2-A1F3-053B84FB19BA.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back