ISG (Integrated Starter/Generator)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fairly new Mercedes inline 6 M256 is using this ISG system. Just found out that Mitsubishi developed it and Mercedes is using it to power the turbo and also deliver 20 hp to the wheels if needed. The front of the M256 needs no belts for AC, alternator or PS. It's all motor driven, powered by the ISG.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkF0ZbsKwFw

I'm guessing this -and systems like it, will be the next big incremental leap in IC engines.

Ray

Seems like the failure rate for the formerly separate start/charging circuits has been combined in one expensive hybrid package.
I'll keep my alternator drive belt, thnx.

Originally Posted by vw7674
Seems like the failure rate for the formerly separate start/charging circuits has been combined in one expensive hybrid package.
I'll keep my alternator drive belt, thnx.

I'll keep my drum brakes,
I'll keep my manual steering.
I'll keep my generator.

blah de blah.

let someone else be the beta tester of course.

Pretty much what Honda did with the IMA system that came out with the insight in 1999. Good concept. Putting a planetary gearset between that electric motor and engine lets you drive EV style without the engine turning, as well as eliminate the conventional transmission. This is what is what the Prius introduced, although that is an overly simplified explanation.

I imagine the A/C and power steering are driven by separate electric motors powered by the hybrid system. Prius does similar, with the A/C running from a high voltage motor powered from the traction battery. Not sure about the Benz, but Honda's IMA and Toyota's HSD use an inverter from the traction battery to keep the 12v battery charged.

How does this system power the turbo???

Last edited:
Originally Posted by cjolson140

How does this system power the turbo???

I don't have full details but, it can power an electric assist turbine that helps the primary while it's winding-up.
There are a few reviews that describe it. Here's a video graphic that shows it (kinda):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYc_TqbZ--g

Last edited:
Originally Posted by zorobabel
An all electric supercharger seems like a good idea to me, provided we're given a saying on when it runs.

The only issue is you need a way to provide power like a really big alternator.

My '03 Avalon hybrid had no belts. AC, PS and water pump were electric. Of course no alternator either.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back