Sierra 18-7879-1 for Mercruiser 4.3 V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Annual oil change on the Chaparral. First time using the Sierra and I am impressed. I think I like the construction of these better than the Mercury OE filters.

Sturdy can, almost up there w/ Mann and Hengst, lots of media, dense pleats, seems well constructed. ADBV, but no relief valve. Interesting that the metal end caps are only held on by the glue to the end of the pleats, no other fastening to the metal center tube.

Nothing unusual in the media, but a noticeable amount of non metallic fine deposits at the bottom of the filter. Probably carbon and not surprising.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by dlundblad
What oil do you run?

Hi, I ran the Quicksilver 25w-40 semi synth for this cycle, but put M1 15w-50 in for this run. Not many local sources of marine oil and I keep a lot of that M1 on hand.

I d/n see any location on the can, but will look on the next ones' box.

Originally Posted by DuckRyder
It says "product of _____" over next to the check for leaks pictogram...

Guessing china?

It is hard to read, but looks like "Product of Mexico" to me (WIX)

Originally Posted by wings&wheels
... Interesting that the metal end caps are only held on by the glue to the end of the pleats, no other fastening to the metal center tube. ...
That's not needed, although some posters have claimed it is.

Originally Posted by CR94
Originally Posted by wings&wheels
... Interesting that the metal end caps are only held on by the glue to the end of the pleats, no other fastening to the metal center tube. ...
That's not needed, although some posters have claimed it is.

Completely agree on that. It was certainly a secure glue joint.

Nice. I use an ACDelco PF-47 and Rotella 15W-40 non syn in my 4.3 1999 Chaparral bow rider. I change the oil once every 2 years but the boat only sees about 20 hours of run time per year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back