Your Diesel calls for 5w30, but warranty has ended...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by BigJohn
I just wonder if anyone with a modern diesel engine, and the warranty has expired, that has all the expensive emissions and DEF systems...... Has anyone moved to Rotella T6 5w40 or something similar? Or are you sticking with 5w30 Euro oils?

If someone were to move to 5w40... would that plug up our DPF and CAT?

I wish I could find a DEF delete for my ML250.

???????

I ma not sure that your MB calls for certain weight. I think it calls fro MB 229.51, and there are various flavors, 5W30, 5W40 or 0W40 in the US.
I used in BMW X5 35d Valvoline 5W40 MST that is MB229.51 approved bcs. I got bunch on sale. But one could not beat performance of Mobil1 ESP Formula 5W30 back than.

Originally Posted by Rat407
What's wrong with what you are using now? Why change?

An EcoDiesel user went to 15w40 and recognized significantly reduced wear over 5w30.

That's my main motivation. I want to keep this car for a quarter million miles.

Ecodiesel has arhitecture issues from get go. It was backspaced for Rotella T6 5W40 as a way to prevent excessive wear. Your MB does not have that issue.

Understand that oil specs are designed to meet EPA and gov. regs.....NOT what's best fe engine longevity.
The sooner vehicles fail, the the more vehicles people purchase.
The manufacturer is not the best judge of performance.

Originally Posted by edyvw
I just wonder if anyone with a modern diesel engine, and the warranty has expired, that has all the expensive emissions and DEF systems...... Has anyone moved to Rotella T6 5w40 or something similar? Or are you sticking with 5w30 Euro oils?

???????

I ma not sure that your MB calls for certain weight. I think it calls fro MB 229.51, and there are various flavors, 5W30, 5W40 or 0W40 in the US.
I used in BMW X5 35d Valvoline 5W40 MST that is MB229.51 approved bcs. I got bunch on sale. But one could not beat performance of Mobil1 ESP Formula 5W30 back than.

One can easily beat Mobil 1 with Amsoil

35.gif

Originally Posted by UncleDave
Going to roll back to a 229.51 from a .52. on my OM642

I can find it in 40.

Prob go with 0w-40 M1Esp

UD

Valvoline 5-40 MST. Napa puts it on sale every couple of months. Low-mid SAPS to protect your dpr.

Originally Posted by 64bawagon
Originally Posted by Rat407
What's wrong with what you are using now? Why change?

Exactly. Personally, I dont think I am smarter than the people that engineered, built and warrantied the engine. I would never change to a different weight/spec, especially not based on some anecdotal evidence from some stranger on the internet.

Did you ever consider that maybe the EPA is more interested in preserving the DPR than your engine? Today it cost around $200 to clean a DPR. There are new machines that MB has to clean it on the car. Plus DPR's are tougher than they lead you to believe.

Originally Posted by Tracker
Understand that oil specs are designed to meet EPA and gov. regs.....NOT what's best fe engine longevity.

Correct! They just care that the vehicle gets past the warranty mileage...50k for MB

So he should or should not use Amsoil European Car Formula 5W-40 which carries MB-Approval 229.51?

Oil specifications that MB uses in diesel engines do not have anything to do with EPA requirements. MB 229.51 and 229.52, have minimum HTHS requirement of 3.5cp.

???????

I said specific Mobil1, and no, Amsoil never had ANYTHING similar to that.

Originally Posted by loneryder

Correct! They just care that the vehicle gets past the warranty mileage...50k for MB

Get facts straight. MB 229.51 and .52 are NOT energy conserving specifications. Thousands of MB taxis in Europe are making well over 500k km on these oils.

This is one of the biggest loads of excrement ever posted on this board
33.gif

I'll anxiously await your data that supports that statement
smirk.gif

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

I'll anxiously await your data that supports that statement
smirk.gif

Especially since Amsoil buys their PAO base stock from XOM...
21.gif

Oil specifications that MB uses in diesel engines do not have anything to do with EPA requirements. MB 229.51 and 229.52, have minimum HTHS requirement of 3.5cp.

Then why did they go from years of 5-40 esp to 0-30esp with a factory fill of 5-30esp. I say mileage for epa.

Get facts straight. MB 229.51 and .52 are NOT energy conserving specifications. Thousands of MB taxis in Europe are making well over 500k km on these oils.

229.52 is definitely for conservation for the epa. How do you know that the thousands of MB taxis don't have sludging problems like they have had here in the US.
For 2019 MB requires oils for their diesels have the CK-E9 certification. Wonder why?

Then why did they go from years of 5-40 esp to 0-30esp with a factory fill of 5-30esp. I say mileage for epa.

LOL, 0W30 ESP still has HTHS above 3.5cp. There are W40 oils that are 3.6cp.
This is actually becoming funny topic.

229.52 is definitely for conservation for the epa. How do you know that the thousands of MB taxis don't have sludging problems like they have had here in the US.
For 2019 MB requires oils for their diesels have the CK-E9 certification. Wonder why?

AGAIN< 229.52 has HTHS of 3.5! You cannot get any meaningful fuel saving with HTHS of 3.5. AGAIN, HTHS MINIMUM of 3.5!
And no, they do not sludge. How do you know sludging is related to oil weight? Weight does not determine quality of oil.
Which MB requires CK and E9? There are numerous MB diesels, personal and commercial.

Last edited:
2019 3 ltr v6 in Sprinters manual. Don't think they put them in passenger vehicles in NA anymore. The only time I ever had to add a qt. of oil before 5k miles in mine was when I used Mobil 1 formula 5-30 esp. It was the only time I ever used a 5-30. Where do you find that the Mobil 5-30 has a 3.5 hths?? Read Stephens Service site updates. They make sense. He spent his whole career with and on MB's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back