Useage Question After Changing Brands?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have read several times on bitog that sometimes after you change oil brands that an engine would use oil for the first few oil changes with the new brand and then it finally would stop.

My question is, "Why?'

I say BS. The UOA may be messed up, but I say BS on the vehicle using oil.

I am sure there are many many cars that get the oil changed at a different place each time with different brand of oil each time.

Same thing is supposed to happen when switching from regular oil to high-mileage oil, from conventional to synthetic, and so on. It's generally repeated ad naseum on the internet, like here, with no basis in fact.

Originally Posted by Donald
I say BS. The UOA may be messed up, but I say BS on the vehicle using oil.

I am sure there are many many cars that get the oil changed at a different place each time with different brand of oil each time.

I wonder if it would make any difference if an engine had been on a certain brand for many 1000's of miles and then switched?

I have seen and heard of this happen in cases when someone used a particular brand of oil for a long time and then switched. That has been many years though. Modern oils may be better as far as compatibility.

Originally Posted by PimTac
I have seen and heard of this happen in cases when someone used a particular brand of oil for a long time and then switched. That has been many years though. Modern oils may be better as far as compatibility.

59 years of switching oils without a problem.

This is anecdotal but it happened to me. After using Kendall and 76 Super synthetic blend 5w-30 for more than 10 oil changes, at 72K miles on my M35 I switched to all QSUD using another new Nissan OEM oil filter as used since new. Prior to the change, there was zero usage between 5K mile changes. During the first 1,000 miles using QSUD, it used half a quart. Next OC I switched back to a blend of QSUD and QSGB and usage returned to zero.

What is the difference between brand a that you have been using changing formulations SG 10 years ago to Sn Dexos and switching from brand a to brand b?

I should have stated in my OP that "sometimes" there is an oil usage the first couple of OCI's. Not always and probably not often. I have read that sometimes it happens. Like NormanBuntz stated in earlier post.

I am asking could there and is there a logical reason for this initial usage. I'm not suggesting there is. Just wondering and if so, why?

Originally Posted by ragtoplvr
What is the difference between brand a that you have been using changing formulations SG 10 years ago to Sn Dexos and switching from brand a to brand b?

Excellent point that dispels most of the nonsense around this old wive's tale.

It's not nonsense Hall! Some vehicles are sensitive to certain oils, even of the same relative viscosity. I generally always own three vehicles and currently my Colorado is sensitive to Maxlife Syn and Mobil Super Syn.

What's really odd is that Mobil-1 Vanilla does fine in my Colorado and Super Syn sees appreciable loss on the dipstick.
Old wive's tale?......... hahahahaha. The human race shows us everyone is different and so do the vehicles we drive all those human race people in.

Ruff-Ruff! Did you just hear that bark Mr. Stevenson? Even my Miniature Schnauzer agrees with me. For he enjoys all those vehicle rides too.

Wasn't many years ago that a change to synthetic from conventional could result in leaks. I have first hand experience with it. Haven't seen it happen again in maybe ten years.

Seen it happen going from Magnatec 0w20 after 50k to PUP 0w20. Half qt over 10k miles. At 155k swapped to Redline 0w20 and had consumption as Redline was trying to lay its own film. Can happen but its not a Subaru drinking a qt every 1k so its minor.

I think its a bigger issue with lacking maintenance or the oil simply needs a oil system cleaning from Motul,Liquimoly,Amsoil. Seems high PAO gave me trouble back in the day if it was HM or ran a Grp 3 oil.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Different formulations cleaning rings and other gunk. Just a theory.

But if this is the case, why does it stop after a few OCI's?

Originally Posted by Gebo

Boring Oilsex!

Originally Posted by Gebo

Because the gunk return after using the same formulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back