Changing to full synthetic....maybe

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have my deceased Mom's 2003 Buick Park Ave 3.8 base (not super charged).
It has 98000 mi but I don't know how reg oil was changed.
However I do know that it was always dealer serviced with Ac-Delco 5W30 syn-blend.
All of my int-combustion engines use M1 10w30 full syn.
So is it ok to switch this 16 yr old car w/98k mi to M1 full syn w/o causing other issues?
Opinions welcomed.

I think it will be fine to switch it. If she was getting it serviced at the dealer, there should be records. If they are not in glove box, give the dealer a call.

I will say that M1 really isn't needed though. Throw in some Supertech HM or their cheapest Syn-Blend and save some cash. Car will be fine.

Yes...might get a small amount of seepage (if it was always on dino) which should dry up after 3-5000 miles.

Sorry for your loss.

And
welcome2.gif

Also sorry to hear about your mom, Ricky.
I hope she lived a long and full life, mine died pretty young and I feel that left a big chasm in my life that couldn't really be filled (although any pity should go to the deceased and not me).

I think you should be fine with M1 10W30 and that is a good choice of grade for the Deep South.
You might even give some thought to M1 10W30 HM, I am trying it for the first time in my present OCI and it might make sense given that the Park Ave is near 100kmiles...

I also say go with a 10W30 of your brand of choice. I think the 3.8 was originally spec'd for 10W30.

It should be fine. If it weeps switch back. My sincere condolences....Welcome to bitog!

Sorry for your loss...
Switched my 2000 4Runner with 245k miles to synthetic with no drips, leaks or problems. Don't know what the prior owners used for the previous 17 years.

I've come to love Delo XLE 10W30 on things that take 5W30 (especially since you say you're in the Deep South)... it's got a pour point as good as 98% of full synthetics and is pretty cheap.

However, in something that old and low stress, ANY synthetic will be more than up to the task.

I switched to synth oil on my VW back in the day when it had 90K+ miles on it and never saw blend oil but dino.
No leaks, no burning and no ill effects.
It should be no brainer to go from blend to full synth.

Originally Posted by Ricky_Samsonia
I have my deceased Mom's 2003 Buick Park Ave 3.8 base (not super charged).
It has 98000 mi but I don't know how reg oil was changed.
However I do know that it was always dealer serviced with Ac-Delco 5W30 syn-blend.
All of my int-combustion engines use M1 10w30 full syn.
So is it ok to switch this 16 yr old car w/98k mi to M1 full syn w/o causing other issues?
Opinions welcomed.

Yes, do the switch and you'll likely never look back - or regret it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back