I test drove a new Ranger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by glock19
Originally Posted by oilpsi2high

How do people do it? Easy. They make the payments.

Nobody is writing checks for 35k for new trucks. They put 5k down, if that, or trade in their old car, and make the payments until it's either paid off or (more likely) they get sick of it and trade it in on something else. 72 months @ 6%+ 550/mo. payments are normal. Many pay more than that, both in interest and total payment. I know someone with an 84 month loan on their CUV.

That's a generalization that's not true. I'm sure plenty of people do it, but I know plenty of people that buy cars with cash.

There is nothing bad with paying monthly installments as long as money is cheap. Why would I spend cash, when I can put it in my kid's 529?
The problem is that people are lazy to go to local credit union and figure out deal with them. They either apply for loan online or at the dealership. I cannot remember when I took a loan last time without negotiating with credit union, and bcs. I am their regular customer they always throw some preferred interest rate etc. I got 2.9% last September on used Toyota Sienna, throw some cash, and monthly installment is not burden at all. I know people who pay 6-7% interest rate bcs. they just do not know want to look around for a deal.

I didn't say there was anything wrong with making payments, I've done it when they're offering 0% financing. I was just pointing out that the statement "NOBODY pays cash for new trucks" is false.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
You can get Titans with under 30K miles a couple years old for around 25K $ asking price.

Maybe they are no good?

Aside from Rangers to replace my truck, the Titan XD gas is a close contender. They have no resale value for a truck and they are emissions exempt in my state. Seems like a good deal to me. The diesel ones are quite expensive even used.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
$31K+ for a frigging RANGER?? Ford is on crack, no wonder they're in trouble. Nobody in their right mind is paying that, I can't imagine a base F-150 would be any more. I know it's been a while, but I bought the Cummins Ram 3500, Mega Cab, 4X4, leather interior (granted aftermarket), 35K miles on it, still under warranty, for $28K in '08-and I thought THAT was a lot!

Local dealer has one listed for $55K with a buy it now price of $50K... For a Ranger, that's insane! It already has 240 miles so I bet someone at the dealer's been playing around!

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Delta
Originally Posted by bullwinkle
$31K+ for a frigging RANGER?? Ford is on crack, no wonder they're in trouble. Nobody in their right mind is paying that, I can't imagine a base F-150 would be any more. I know it's been a while, but I bought the Cummins Ram 3500, Mega Cab, 4X4, leather interior (granted aftermarket), 35K miles on it, still under warranty, for $28K in '08-and I thought THAT was a lot!

Local dealer has one listed for $55K with a buy it now price of $50K... For a Ranger, that's insane! It already has 240 miles so I bet someone at the dealer's been playing around!

[Linked Image]

That truck stickers for 41,350.00 so they have put roughly 15,000.00 "worth" of add on garbage, like those hideous wheels... probably by some semi - local company that specializes it in adding add on garbage since there isn't any "ship through" on the sticker it probably is not an authorized up fitter. I'd figure that's where the 240 miles came from too.

Window Sticker

Though Hennessy is doing a Ranger "Raptor" (that isn't one)

http://hennesseyperformance.com/vehicles/ford/2019-ford-ranger/

[Linked Image]

and AEV a "Bison" ZR2 Colorado.

https://www.chevrolet.com/trucks/colorado-zr2-off-road-truck

[Linked Image]

lmao @ that "velociraptor" being 64k for what basically amounts to a tune and some bolt-ons.

True, but if you are into that sort of thing, it is probably a better buy than 55 (or 50) from some unknown...

Chevrolet had the Bison ZR2 in their booth at HRPT, I'm a Ford guy but it would be hard to pass the bison up with a diesel for 55... if I was going to buy such a thing.

The VelociRaptor might actually be worth something if you later wanted to sell it too...

Anyhow, back to your regular scheduled program...

I did see this one the other day which looked pretty close to how I would want one...

[Linked Image]

After driving one as a rental a few months back, I'm a fan. It's a great size, I thought it rode nice and had a great interior. Powertrain was smooth and had plenty of power.

Also had Frontier as a rental, much more crude and rough around the edges. A better work truck than daily driver, IMO.

Ranger is easily worth a few grand more.

The dealer I test drove the Ranger at has it discounted for $30225. Additional discounts are available for college grads, first responders and 95' and up Ford/Mercury/Lincoln owners; none of which I qualify for.
The truck has the rear electronic locking diff and cruise control, both are a must. I don't care for the steel wheels and I don't care the the rear seats. There is a delete option for no rear seats but that would pretty much require placing a custom order. This will be a cash / paid in full purchase if I buy it. I'm more concerned about getting what I want and liking it. I will be test driving a Colorado this evening and will report back.

lmao @ that "velociraptor" being 64k for what basically amounts to a tune and some bolt-ons.

I'm just curious where Hennessey steals the parts from.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
The dealer I test drove the Ranger at has it discounted for $30225. Additional discounts are available for college grads, first responders and 95' and up Ford/Mercury/Lincoln owners; none of which I qualify for.
The truck has the rear electronic locking diff and cruise control, both are a must. I don't care for the steel wheels and I don't care the the rear seats. There is a delete option for no rear seats but that would pretty much require placing a custom order. This will be a cash / paid in full purchase if I buy it. I'm more concerned about getting what I want and liking it. I will be test driving a Colorado this evening and will report back.

Have you considered a Tacoma? The TRD Offroad checks those options and even has a 6 speed manual option for roughly $35K. Not just recommending that because I own one, but I believe it would work for your situation. The seating position might not suit you though, it takes some getting used to.

Originally Posted by greenjp
The Ranger has gotten savaged by the car mags in comparos with the Colorado and Ridgeline.

I just listened to the new Autoblog podcast and they were talking about all the mid sized trucks after doing their comparison. Gladiator did well, as did the Ridgeline, they all generally seemed to like the Colorado better than the Ranger, and the Tacoma got placed last.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back