Adventure Bike Tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by bonjo
Metzler tourance is excellent. Didn't like my Conti trail attack 3

Pirrelli and avon also have a good product

What didn't you like about the Trail Attack 3?

they made the ride harsher and less damped. I assume it was because they were tubeless type compared the tubed OEM on my bike

I got around 5000 miles from the rear compared to 8000 on the OEM

Not much better handling & grip on tarmac but much less grip on dirt

The OEM tire on my BMW GS bike was Bridgestone Battle Wing (BW-501/502 I think). I actually liked them on the pavement, where I did majority of my riding, but I don't think they're designed to handle off-roading with any sort of confidence. The Heidenau mentioned earlier might be better at this, if you're willing to give up some highway performance.

Originally Posted by CCI
There are a bunch of superb street tires available these days and some first-rate off-road tires, but what about tires that are reasonably comfortable on the highway and safe on a poorly maintained dirt road? Anyone got any experience with this?

It's probably a 95% / 5% split at best, probably more like 98% / 2% but the good highway tires are awful in the dirt.

Assuming that there will be a price to be paid in trad life, what's a good tire for this?

My 2016 Versys 650 LT came with Dunlop Q3's that I didn't care for.The first replacement was a Battalax T30 on the rear, then came a T30 Evo on the front. The next will be a T31 (T30 Evo replacement). I am very happy with the Battalax tires, and do not plan on trying any other manufacturer. Not really sure what you're looking for, but maybe if I shared my experience you might glean something from it. Regards!

I'm closing in on 3,000 miles on the Motoz Adventure GPS, most of which is loaded and 2-up.... close to the max GVRW. And the rear tires only show a tiny bit of wear. I have zero doubt the tires will go 8k miles and they may eclipse 10k.

They are outstanding!!!!

Originally Posted by BigJohn
I'm closing in on 3,000 miles on the Motoz Adventure GPS, most of which is loaded and 2-up.... close to the max GVRW. And the rear tires only show a tiny bit of wear. I have zero doubt the tires will go 8k miles and they may eclipse 10k.

They are outstanding!!!!

I only have the rear and it is a really good tire. Nice on the pavement but grabs the gravel roads and off-road terrain well too.

Normally, I am 50/50 here in Colorado, but I just finished a 900 mile trip that was 100% pavement..... to Albuquerque and back. I now have 3,000 miles on the MOTOZ Adv GPS and.... most which is heavily loaded and 2-up. I'm guessing the tires are about 30-40% done. I think they will last to 8-10k miles. Really impressed with them.

I continue to love the GPS's..... They now have 7,000 miles on them and still going strong!!!!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Thank you for the follow-up. I think those Motoz Adventure GPS will be the next tires.

As a matter of convenience and expediency we replaced the Pirellis and Michelins (90/10) with the Shinko 705 and while the improvement off-road was certainly significant, I would rate the Shinkos as very good but not great.

Really like the Bridgestone Battle Wings for a more road oriented tire on the V Strom 1000 I had.

Ran a Maxis Detour, however barely five thousand miles out of the rear on the same V-Strom 1000. Nothing wrong other than crappy tread life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back