Fixed a very annoying rattle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Canuck - moved to —> California —> Texas —> ???
This rattle has been getting on my nerves for quite some time now. It would become auditable at freeway speeds and it sounded like a screw was loose in the quarter panel, or a pebble.
Since the car had front end damage repaired last year, that's where I started checking, but aside from one headlight screw being loose, everything else was fine, and the rattle persisted. I pulled the wheel well liners and found nothing out of ordinary.

Then about two weeks ago I was washing the car and when I washed around the front wheel splash guard, I heard it rattle.

Turns out the plastic grommet somewow lost its tension and was loose inside the rocker panel hole.
I wrapped it with some electrical tape to make it fit snug again and the rattle is now gone.

Both sides had the same thing and we're never damaged. If I didn't accidentally stumble on this, I would have never thought to check it.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A long time ago, in a Lincoln I think, there was a small coke bottle inside the rear door. The note inside said "You found it" Legend? Truth? Hmmm.........

I had a rattle in my Jeep that drove me a little crazy for many months. I found it one morning on my way to work. It ended up being my LUNCH BOX sitting in the passenger seat next to me. The lid would rattle if it wasn't closed right.

Originally Posted by oldhp
A long time ago, in a Lincoln I think, there was a small coke bottle inside the rear door. The note inside said "You found it" Legend? Truth? Hmmm.........

I've heard of the coke bottle, but not the note. I think the note sounds like a little extra bit was added to the story. It makes more sense that a careless assembly line worker left a bottle there rather that one that maliciously put one there with a note.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
If the tape wears out a good shot of a silicone adhesive would probably work, or new OEM grommets. Good find.

E6000 ?

Originally Posted by Char Baby
Nice!
Don't ya just love it when you find/fix that annoying noise/rattle?

I always smoke a cigarette afterwards.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by dippschtick
Nice!

laugh.gif

I just take a nap.

Originally Posted by KrisZ
Originally Posted by Bud
Nice!

laugh.gif

I just take a nap.

I had a bear
cheers3.gif

Amazing how one little letter can completely change the meaning of what you intended to say
lol.gif

On a serious note, I've had a rattle coming from the hatch of the CX-5 for quite some time. I've prodded around a bit and just can't seem to trace it, I know it's coming from the spoiler itself, but short of removing the spoiler I've checked everything I can.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by KrisZ
Originally Posted by Bud
Nice!

laugh.gif

I just take a nap.

I had a bear
cheers3.gif

I hear brown/grizzly bear is pretty delicious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back