gear oil lube service

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well after my last service disappointment with toyota dealer, I have decided to go to an independent one for this service.

I am getting Motul FS 75w90 for the tgearbox , 80w90 for the transfer & rear diff.

Interested to see if there is any differentce to the ones used by toyota
confused2.gif

Excuse me if I am incorrect, but I thought the 2 gear boxes got the 8W-90 and the transfer case got the 75w-90.

Toyota uses American lubrication specs for most of their gear fluids unlike freaking Europeans.
Pick something readily available and put it into the Toyota boxes - I have used Amsoil and Redline. No seepage no nothing - they are bullet proof x-case/diffs

I changed my own Manual Transmission in the Corolla because the Stealership cost was outrageous. Looked at Redline and Amsoil. Amsoil was far cheaper and that was my choice.

Manual transmissions work best with a dedicated Manual Transmission Fluid (MTF) with a service/protection rating of GL-4 of the proper viscosity grade.

Differentials usually require a service/protection rating of GL-5 of the required viscosity grade.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bonjo
Well after my last service disappointment with toyota dealer, I have decided to go to an independent one for this service.

I am getting Motul FS 75w90 for the tgearbox , 80w90 for the transfer & rear diff.

Interested to see if there is any differentce to the ones used by toyota
confused2.gif

Does the manual gear box in that vehicle specify GL-5 spec oil. You need to check because manual syncronized gearboxes usually specify GL-4 ONLY.
Not GL-4/5, GL4+, ect....only GL-4.

FYI (doesn't this sometimes irritate you, LOL), my 1998 4Runner Owner's Manual specifies either GL4 or GL5 for my Transfer Case. I have an automatic transmission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back