Has Pennzoil Platinum weakened its add pack?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at some UOA's and it seems to me the numbers for additives seem low. Is it me? Did they lower the additive amounts? Does it matter if something else not measured makes up the difference?

Originally Posted by PimTac
Compared to when?

Couple years ago.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ZZman
Compared to when?

Couple years ago.

You do realize that SN + and d1G2 have changed the additive requirements ? This has been common knowledge for quite some time.

Looking at some UOA's and it seems to me the numbers for additives seem low. Is it me? Did they lower the additive amounts? Does it matter if something else not measured makes up the difference?

Please check out my PPHM VOA I did
smile.gif

I use Pennzoil Platinum Ultra 0W-20 because it is the most expensive hardest to find oil I know of for my truck. Does that make me an oil snob?

Which additives specifically?

Compared to when?

Couple years ago.

You do realize that SN + and d1G2 have changed the additive requirements ? This has been common knowledge for quite some time.

Well I do realize it changed the mix of calcium and magnesium

After doing some further research I didn't realize that the SN classification decreased zddp even further than SM did making it appear a lot lower.

What did they use to replace zddp as an anti wear?

Originally Posted by Nickdfresh

Detergents. Used to be over 2,000 (unless magnesium is that much better than calcium)

ZDDP looks down but I now understand that is a SN thing.

Originally Posted by OILJUNKIE
I use Pennzoil Platinum Ultra 0W-20 because it is the most expensive hardest to find oil I know of for my truck. Does that make me an oil snob?

You cannot be Oil Snob and Oil Junkie-both on this forum. You have committed a serious offense, by attempting to have two different names here.
Your penalty is still being determined. The judge and jury will decide your fate by week's-end.
wink.gif

In regards to questioning Pennzoil Platinum as now being weaker, I weighed both an older SN jug and the new SN Plus / Dexon1/Gen2 jug and both weigh the same.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Nickdfresh

Detergents. Used to be over 2,000 (unless magnesium is that much better than calcium)

ZDDP looks down but I now understand that is a SN thing.

The limits have not been lowered, statements like the one above allows false info to be spread like wild fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back