Plug wires replacement interval

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Originally Posted by vavavroom
Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
NGK makes a good set of wires. They are numbered and come in a nice blue color
smile.gif

I have cut NGK/NTK silicone spark plug wires. The jacket consists of an outer blue layer of silicone and the inner jacket out of white silicone. The core is a multistrand silver-colored wire, although it says on the wire jacket "copper." By the way, why do we call them spark plug cables? They are wires.

BC there is NO wire in high tension ignition cables - unless its aftermarket "MAG Wire"

The Copper notation was for the terminals ONLY - not the wire. '

The center insulator is typically EPDM rubber.

You don't want or \need low impedance "wire" for super high voltage pulse ignition. It doesn't help. And the FFC will chase you.

There is definitely a wire core in this OE replacement wire. I'll have to look for the wire. Maybe I can find it.

Originally Posted by zmelli
I own a 1996 Acura Integra with the B18 non-vtec engine. 130K miles runs perfect. Original plug wires. I was thinking about changing the wires but don't want to waste money. On the other hand, I like to replace things before they fail. Any thoughts on this?

Generally speaking, if it ain't broke, I leave it as is. In the case of wires, I wouldn't change until I needed to. More than likely they will never need changing unless your keeping the car a very long time.

I own a 1996 Acura Integra with the B18 non-vtec engine. 130K miles runs perfect. Original plug wires. I was thinking about changing the wires but don't want to waste money. On the other hand, I like to replace things before they fail. Any thoughts on this?

What I usually do is replace the plugs at 100K miles, or when my gas mileage and performance start to drop off. The wires get changed at that time too. YMMV.

I generally replace the wires with the plug change. I did replace wires every other plug change back in 80's before i was using precious metal plugs.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Originally Posted by vavavroom
Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
NGK makes a good set of wires. They are numbered and come in a nice blue color
smile.gif

I have cut NGK/NTK silicone spark plug wires. The jacket consists of an outer blue layer of silicone and the inner jacket out of white silicone. The core is a multistrand silver-colored wire, although it says on the wire jacket "copper." By the way, why do we call them spark plug cables? They are wires.

BC there is NO wire in high tension ignition cables - unless its aftermarket "MAG Wire"

The Copper notation was for the terminals ONLY - not the wire. '

The center insulator is typically EPDM rubber.

You don't want or \need low impedance "wire" for super high voltage pulse ignition. It doesn't help. And the FFC will chase you.

What alloy is the wire?

[Linked Image]

Do you hear a tick , tick , tick or click , click , click under the hood? Then look for sparks jumping , at night / in the dark .

Is it missing / cutting out ? Spray water on them . Any changes ?

How long do you plan to drive it ? Long time , more ? If it makes you sleep better , buy a set of plug wires & put them away , in the trunk , for when / if the old ones go bad .

I have replaced plug wires only a few times . When they started going bad & causing problems .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back