rear axle grease?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did it after my third season.....and had to change conuses and balls also....there was still grease inside...but in insufficient quantities!

I used NLGI 0 calcium/lithium grease....it is very tacky one!

Kameleon , were any special tools needed ? I have all the basic tools for working.

You need "special" cone spanners...wich are basically thinner version of an "french key" (at least we call it so)

YouTube is your friend here!

Yea, I thought you may need those "cone spanners" . I don`t have them .

Originally Posted by Jimkobb
Just wonder how often to pull the rear axle and re-grease in there?

Depends on the brand and model of hub you have. Some are quite serviceable (Shimano or Shimano like) with loose ball bearings and cone races. Others use sealed cartridge bearings that aren't really that serviceable and generally are just replaced when they are no longer smooth.

I go through my Shimano hubs annually with Bel Ray water proof grease. Mostly preventative maintenance and they are always clean inside.

Originally Posted by JLawrence08648
Use only synthetic grease.
Use only highly water-resistant EP grease, whether it's synthetic or not. Others will wash out if you ever get caught in rain.

Some good videos out there, along with various threads on bicycle sites.

I picked up my cone wrenches years ago, I think they are cheapo Spin Doctor stuff from Performance bike. Nothing special. Don't use them for anything other than cones, they are thin and won't take to being used on any "real" bolts or nuts.

That reminds me, I should probably go through mine, it's been a few years. Oh and you might want to go on ebay or similar and buy a ball bearing kit. The usual advice is, if you drop a ball just toss it. Or just replace in the first place. And don't put in just one new ball with a bunch of old balls as the sizes won't match. I forgot how the grading works but I think it refers to how well matched the balls are to one another--so 25's are better than 100, that sort of thing. Me, I'm not competitive enough to notice so I run just a decent of bearings, nothing ceramic for me.

Originally Posted by Jimkobb
Yea, I thought you may need those "cone spanners" . I don`t have them .

Any bike store or "wallmart" should have them...they are not expensive!

Originally Posted by CR94
Use only highly water-resistant EP grease, whether it's synthetic or not. Others will wash out if you ever get caught in rain.

Exactly...usually that means calcium or calcium/lithium thickener...

https://shop.harborfreight.com/medi...25d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_8176.jpg
Well, I got both front and rear wheels axles all cleaned up with a carbureter cleaner from Harbor Freight and wiped clean with a towel. I used "Super Lube" also from Harbor Freight. 3 ounces for $7 . It is a multi-purpose synthetic grease and has a NLGI on the listing.On their website it has a 120 reviews with a 5 star rating. Also on my "Diamondback" bike I did not need the cone spanner wrenches. One thing I do recommend is tag the parts that come off the left side and right side separate so you don`t mix them up.

Cheapo Walmart Supertech marine grade grease.

Even if you don't have Shimanos with loose bearings, hubs with cartridge bearings still have an axle to maintain also, but may not require lubrication.

Automotive wheel bearing grease will be fine. No need for fancy stuff.

I would either use bicycle specific grease or grease in a tube cartridge.

I have the Spin Doctor cone wrenches and they are cheap and work fine, also have a heavier set of Pedro's cone wrenches.

Park PolyLube is the one of the worst greases for a bike. Shimano Dura-Ace Grease or Phil if you must insist on "bike-specific" grease. The Shimano Stuff is Ca-complex, relabeled Agip Autol Top 2000/Motorex made in Germany. Rumor has it that Phil Grease is Mobilgrease 33, the same stuff Boeing uses on their planes.

I worked in the bike industry for many years, there is no such thing as "bike specific" grease. The marked up grease sold as bicycle grease is nothing unique other than you'll pay a lot more than just going and getting bearing grease from a hardware or automotive store. You'll pay as much for a 3 oz tube of Phil Wood Waterproof "bicycle" grease as you will for a 16 oz tub of Bel-Ray Waterproof grease and they will perform equally.

I've used all types of greases. Currently my favorite, other than Phil of course, is super lube. M1 works very well also.

You appear to have an obvious dislike for Park. It is most likely Mobil electric motor ball bearing grease, Used by many OE ball bearing manufactures and recommended replacement grease. What makes you say Park polyurea grease is no good?Your opinion or any info to substantiate it. Thank you

Originally Posted by CR94

Maybe if the area is submerged but riding in the rain, I highly doubt it. Never had it happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back