Stupid oil question

Status
Not open for further replies.
New to the group but I have a question that may be stupid. I own a 2009 Toyota Corolla 1.8 with around 150,000. As far as I know, since I just got the car, it's always had 5w20 bulk oil in it. I was curious if I could switch to a Full Synthetic oil if there are no visible leaks? Or should I just stick to conventional. Thanks

I'd only switch to synthetic if I wanted to extend my oil change intervals. If I was going to change it out every 5000 miles, I'd stick with regular oil.

Yes that is a myth where you can't switch to synthetic or back and forth. There are some reports where you may notice some oil usage from switching but it should settle down after a few changes. If the vehicle never has had synthetic in it then switching over should really clean it out in the first oil change.

Welcome. With its history, age and mileage I'd use a high mileage 5w-20 like Havoline, which is $15.47 for Amazon Prime shoppers or is available at most Walmarts. 5K mile intervals would be good.

Chevron Supreme 5w20 is a nice syn blend and it's just $12 and change for 5qts @Wally's. ...

Welcome!

It's perfectly fine to switch to a Syn oil at anytime, however nothing wrong with staying with a premium conventional oil either.

That engine should live many thousands more miles regardless.

I would not go from one extreme to another with so many miles on this engine. I'd go with a blend oil in a 5w20 flavor. Ed

Last edited:
I was considering the Quaker state high mileage synthetic blend, but is it really that much better than the conventional?

Believe the QS Advanced Durability 5W20 is "considered" conventional, the "Enhanced Durability" is the blend. I've been using 5W20 non-HM synblend (usually Chevron Supreme, cheaper than QSGB) in the '06 Matrix & '07 Corolla that I work on for family members-as long as you don't have a consumption problem, I would keep using the 5W20 you've been using. If it ain't broke...

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Believe the QS Advanced Durability 5W20 is "considered" conventional, the "Enhanced Durability" is the blend. I've been using 5W20 non-HM synblend (usually Chevron Supreme, cheaper than QSGB) in the '06 Matrix & '07 Corolla that I work on for family members-as long as you don't have a consumption problem, I would keep using the 5W20 you've been using. If it ain't broke...

Yeah I might as well stick with their conventional oil 5w20 with a Toyota filter and 5000 mile oil changes

Originally Posted by Bettez88
I was considering the Quaker state high mileage synthetic blend, but is it really that much better than the conventional?

No it's not a lot better but it's still high quality.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by Bettez88

No it's not a lot better but it's still high quality.

Yeah I like Quaker state, all their oil is good stuff and it's super affordable for a name brand oil

I wouldn't run synthetic in an 150K mile engine that has been ran on conventional oil its entire life.

My mother in laws 2008 Toyota Camry drinks a lot of oil. About a quart or more every 1000 miles. They had defective piston oil rings. Don't know if that applies to your 2009 engine or not, but check your oil regularly to make sure it doesn't drink oil.

A synthetic blend high mileage oil, any brand, is a good choice. Walmart typically has the best every day price on motor oil, if you haven't figured that out already.

Originally Posted by Leo99
I'd only switch to synthetic if I wanted to extend my oil change intervals. If I was going to change it out every 5000 miles, I'd stick with regular oil.

Even if I use synthetic oil it gets changed at 5K miles.

Using a synthetic would be fine.

Blue Oval's Ford from that era, specified 5,000 mile oil change intervals, and he is following the specification. I like that idea. Follow the OEM specification. Like Blue Oval, I follow the OEM spec OCI, no matter what kind of oil I have in the engine.

However, a lot of other people would send in oil samples for analysis, and try to "dial in" exactly how many miles they can run that oil of choice in their engine. Nothing wrong with that either. But if you simply pluck a number, like say 10,000 miles, from out of nowhere - I would advise against it. Nobody knows what any oil will do, in your engine. If you have an interest in extended oil change intervals, then you should have your oil analyzed. You would also have to do a lot of analysis to compile enough data, for you to accurately pinpoint just how long a certain formulation of oil will operate in your engine.

Once you have some experience with the car, you'll have some information to
base any change on. Is it using oil? Then HM oil would be indicated.
Leaks? Perhaps 5W-30.
A change or two with cheap synthetic oil would clean the insides some, so
that is a consideration.

My 2¢

Originally Posted by ZZman
I would run a high mileage SYN oil to protect from seal leaks.

This ^^^^^^^

And Quaker State high mileage is a fine oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back