Power steering pumps

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never had a PS pump go bad on me so i don't really know the symptoms. But i've driven cars without PS so i know the feeling.

Starting last week or so I've noticed in the morning when turning out of my street parking spot, the wheel is a little heavy/stiff. I figured it's normal let the car/fluid warm up. The issue came and went. So now I'm at a point where I have the wind the wheel back when making a left or right turn. It seems to be on and off.

140k, I think i did turkey baster drain and fill at 80k and nothing else. Fluid still at a good level. No major leaks on the rack at all. Little greasy down there but nothing that says leak, mainly seepage. The PS pump on my Infiniti is actually the cleanest/driest pump I've seen on any car. Most cars have some type of soaked lined. This thing is bone dry.

So pumps normally just go and stop pumping? Or so can they a weak pump flow. No belt squeal so i don't think its slipping, its a newer belt as well. I checked tire pressures all at 35psi. I even rotated the tires and looked for weird tire wear. Pushed and pulled thinking maybe bad tie rods. Nothing moved much.

So i'm thinking mainly pump but aside from that the only other thing will be rack. I might jack up the front and have someone go lock to lock as i look at the flow from the pump.

Last edited:
Probably just a weak pump. Turkey baster method is so minimal it's pretty much worthless.

Hook up a hose with a barbed fitting to your return line, stick it in a drain pan. Then plug up the hole on the reservoir. Fill with fluid, jack up the car and crank the wheel back and forth until the reservoir is low. Then top off. Repeat until it comes out clean as a whistle.

Also, don't make the same mistake I did last summer and get an A1 Cardone pump. They're trash.

You can see my post from last year here:
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4806929/Jeep_needs_a_power_steering_pu

The pump almost never goes bad.

It's usually the steering sector or rack (the item the oil is "pumped to") that goes bad.

Some pumps go bad as owners of some Honda vehicles can attest, I put 3 in one van over the life of one all OE. Many times if the pump is going out raising the RPM will improve the function, if it does its almost definitely a bad pump/internal component.

The OEM rack the bore where the seals that direct the fluid for the power assist wears. The seals hang up until it expands (warms up) The rack remanufacturers sleeve them.

Rod

Originally Posted by Kira
OP, which of your vehicles are you talking about?

My infiniti G35.

Originally Posted by Lubener
If the condition improves as the car warms up, I would suspect the rack.

Actually, i was really hoping it did but nope. Makes no difference.

Originally Posted by Trav
Some pumps go bad as owners of some Honda vehicles can attest, I put 3 in one van over the life of one all OE. Many times if the pump is going out raising the RPM will improve the function, if it does its almost definitely a bad pump/internal component.

Drive by wire, how can one test this?

-----------
Steering is really stiff. It doesn't return after a left or right hand turn. No leaks, fluid level is good. No noises from the pump or anything.

What kind of testing can do i here? I have some time tomorrow to test some things out.

Put it in park and bring it up to about 2K rpm, does the steering get easier? If not you will need to do a pressure test to properly diagnose this (you should do one anyway but you can usually guess its a bad pump if it does).

I dont have a pressure gauge to test sadly..

So i did put it in park, rev 2k-3k RPM, makes no difference.

I had my brother help me out, i jacked up the front end and had him go lock to lock, I was looking at the reservoir and well seems like very little flow of fluid was moving at all. With the wheels off the ground and the car running or not, it makes no difference. Wheel is still hard to turn. I'm leaning on it being the pump.

Sadly, Cardone and BBB/Vision-OE are my only options via rockauto. I'm trying to source a junkyard one.

Just found out Napa branded "napa preminum steering" line is a BBB product via the warranty information.

Last edited:
I was lucky local car scrapper had a used OEM one for $30. I'll be dropping this one in friday evening, hopefully it fixes my problem, otherwise i'll take it to a shop and see what they say.

Also just noticed, there is a sensor on the pressure line. Could that be something that causes my problems.

Well my $30 parts cannon failed.

I just swapped out my pump with a used OEM pump. Problem is still there.

I swapped out as much fluid as i can as well. So its not the pump, this used pump makes a little noise at lock to lock VS me old one didn't but problem still there.

Any way to test the rack? I'm just going to bring it to a shop pretty soon. Gotta figure out how much this might cost me, might be more then cost of the car...

Also make sure there is not a thin nylon screen inside of reservoir and if it has one make sure it is real clean to keep fluid circulating as the suction line will suffer if screen has stuff in it.

Someone mentioned to me to check the steering shaft linkage. While not bad i think i might have something to go with. I think most common name is intermediate shaft, nissan parts call its a coupler joint. It has a normal U joint. It goes between the rack and the steering shaft.

I sprayed the whole thing with white litihum grease ( got soaked myself, lol). But i think there was a change. I'm keep an eye on it as i drive some more and report back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back