Wiper blade recommendations?

Summer last year I had to replace the wiper blades and I got some fairly expensive Rain-X ones and I loved them. No complaints whatsoever.

I just recently had to get new blades again and being in a pinch and about to go on vacation I bought the most basic ones from Advance and they're AWFUL.

They don't "hug" my windshield properly so basically the entire middle of the windshield is missed when wiping. I recall my Rain-X blades costing almost $50 but I do NOT want to spend that much again on something so disposable.

What wiper blades do y'all recommend that will do the job but not break the bank? My wipers see fairly consistent use because Ohio has plenty of rain/snow and also mud because sometimes I go off-roading with buddies.

Thanks!

RainX Expert Fit Conventional. They are just under $10 each at Walmart (RainX sells different lines--the Expert Fit are the cheaper ones). They outlast by far, the cheapo blades I used to get from autozone. Sounds like you bought one of their more expensive blades.

EDIT: I also (with these cheaper RainX) love the way the rubber grips the window, which clears off all the water. This was a nice difference that I wasn't seeing with the cheapo no name brands.

Last edited:
Another vote for Rain-X conventional blades. I usually run hybrid/beam blades but I picked these up in a pinch over the winter. They made it through the snow & ice like a champ and give a smooth clean wipe. Cost me $20 at WM.

Personally I have tried Anco (do they even exists any more?), Trico (multiple versions), Rain-ex, Michelin, Pylon, AC Delco and Motorcraft. I would imagine the last two are probably made be Anco. The only thing that I have found that sticks to my windshield and last is the Bosch Icon. That said I have not tried any of their other models. I can get a year out of them very easy and change them after the ice tears them up in the winter. If its a warm winter I could almost get two years. I catch them on sale an stock up for a couple years. Until the mess of the formula and they suck I will never buy another brand.

Last edited:
If you buy at Walmart, or online, you can get them for less than $50
smile.gif

Other good options are Trico Ultra and Trico Titan, but the Trico Flex is also good if price is a concern.

Trico Ultra. Made in the USA. Ive used them since they first came out. Seem to hold up a full year or so in Ohio weather for daily driving before they start to show wear. You can get them at either Menards or Wally World. Only other US made options are the goodyear and trico titans

Got RainX Latitude water repellency blades on the van and Trico Force blades on the 300. I like both of them... every time I've tried cheap blades they either squeaked or chattered, lasted a whopping 4 months, or didn't hug the windshield properly. I can get 18 months to 2 years out of a set of expensive ones.

Originally Posted by DoubleNickels
Am I the only one who notices that wiper blades are way too expensive?

Nope. I bet people will say we're too cheap, and that innovation has a price, but let's put it in perspective...

2 beam blades can retail for $50. They contain a few plastic clips, the support frame, and a strip of rubber. $50!

You know what has a lot more expensive parts? Hint: it usually has steel, nylon, and much more rubber.

A tire. Several tires cost about $50 each, and use countless times more rubber. So why are wipers so expensive?
21.gif

Mostly, I use the Rain-X Latitude Beam Wiper Blades mainly because I often get'em cheap at OLLIE's(closeout store) similar to Big Lots for ~ $5/ea. But, I am a fan of just about any "beam wiper blade" that I've tried.

Super Tech from Walmart :eek:)

(assuming they still sell them, mine are about to need replacement after a year, looks like they now have the Trico name on them, $5 each.)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by DoubleNickels
Am I the only one who notices that wiper blades are way too expensive?

They are only $5 each ... see above post :eek:)

AS far as the more expensive ones, well, corporations make something for everyone ...

Well, it looks like I'm gonna be the only one out on a limb. I'd use Honda OEM after soaking the rubber in Aerospace 303 overnight. I buy the metal arms every 5 years and buy the rubber replacements every year. 303 is my go-to for "all" rubber.

Reactions: hrv
Back