Uncrimping a battery cable

Status
Not open for further replies.
The secondary positive cable on the battery connector is getting frayed where it exits the crimp on the connector. The cable is between a 1/4" and 3/8" thick.I have enough length of cable to cut off 1" and crimp. Can crimped connectors generally be uncrimped without the crimping tabs breaking? I would think I can open the crimp with a flat-bladed screwdriver. Is there a better way? I do have a large enough crimping tool.

If you fix it, you mended it. If you don't, you're not any worse off.

What about those universal connectors with the compression sleeve like this?

[Linked Image]

A really tight crimp will make the strands act as a single wire.
Soldering is another excellent solution.
Shrink wrap is the final step.

The screw together post will work, as will a chintzy crimp.
I don't like them; they will corrode.

Myself, I would either replace the cable or clean it up and solder a new connector on the end. Use a plumber's propane torch. Much better than any mechanical crimp or one of those 99 cent clamp on connectors..

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk

Soldering is another excellent solution.

In the past - I have soldered AFTER crimping... though I have read recently to NOT do that! (due to corrosion issues) -
though the ones I have done are still going 20 years later, so....

NEVER EVER EVER solder before crimping.

Right! Crimp first solder when done. I buy lugs with the hole in the front, once crimped just put a drop of liquid rosin flux down the hole, heat the ring end and flow some solder into the hole. It penetrates deep enough but not too much that it makes the end of the wire inflexible, it also fills the air gap at the end of the lug and closes the hole.
Use a hydraulic crimper, the resulting crimp will be one solid mass of copper.

I buy all my cable from these guys, always USA made high quality cable, the marine tinned cable is top shelf and perfect for the salt belt 1/0 is ideal for main cables on pass cars.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-0-AWG-Gauge-Tinned-Marine-Battery-Cable-Flexible-SAE-J1127-SGT-PER-FOOT-UV-SUN/292705293067?hash=item442698530b:m:mnxxFdaFDakSfpxeWPGUuJg

Originally Posted by atikovi
How much is a new secondary cable?

The secondary cable branches off the terminal connector that is shared with the primary connector. I'd have to replace the whole connector and crimp all cables. I could open the crimp with a flat-bladed screwdriver and I crimped and then soldered the cable at the crimp. Seems fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back