To keep dexcool or not to

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone so my new to me 02 sc2 that I just bought had a used engine put in has dexcool in it. I know so many people that cringe at this. So my question is this. Have they revised the dexcool and it's fine now or should I use something else? What should I use? Thanks everyone!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
The Dexcool problem was from over twenty years ago. Might was well worry about fuel pumps on model T's.

Model T`s did not have fuel pumps. Gravity feed from the tank in the drivers lap. LOL Your point is taken, however.

Originally Posted by Dinoburner
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
The Dexcool problem was from over twenty years ago. Might was well worry about fuel pumps on model T's.

Model T`s did not have fuel pumps. Gravity feed from the tank in the drivers lap. LOL Your point is taken, however.

Pretty sure that was sarcasm. Like saying, Might was well worry about water pumps on a 70's Beetle.

No reason to cringe at a 2002 ecotec engine running dex. Heck, my 98 4.3L V6 is spotless running dex (did replace the intake manifold gasket though). Keep air and silicated coolants out of it and its an excellent coolant.

Originally Posted by JHZR2
No reason to cringe at a 2002 ecotec engine running dex. Heck, my 98 4.3L V6 is spotless running dex (did replace the intake manifold gasket though). Keep air and silicated coolants out of it and its an excellent coolant.

I remember you posting pictures of that, it was clean. No intake gasket or any other gasket trouble with the 1.9 and many other engines inc older VW and dex

Originally Posted by ram_man
Hey everyone so my new to me 02 sc2 that I just bought had a used engine put in has dexcool in it. I know so many people that cringe at this. So my question is this. Have they revised the dexcool and it's fine now or should I use something else? What should I use? Thanks everyone!

Dexcool is good coolant if used in vehicles that came from the factory with it. And you have fixed the engine with the intake manifold gasket issue.

We have a 2015 Chevy Sonic 1.8l ( purchased new ) and a 2006 Buick Lacrosse 3.8l ( purchased 2 years ago ) .

Drained 1 gallon of DEX from the Sonic and added 1 gallon of DEX .

Drained the coolant from the Buick , shortly after we purchased it . Replaced plastic ,coolant elbows ( with metal elbows ) , tstat , radiator hoses and heater hoses . Re-filled it with DEX .

I had a GMC Sierra with 225K on it. Still had original DEX in it. Flushed the heck out of it, then refilled with all makes all models. Then water pump died 5K later. Changed it out, changed all hoses, changed thermostat and flushed again. Refilled with all makes all models. Ran for another 100K when I sold it. Ran just fine.

Bottom line, I think DEX is fine if changed IAW manufacturer recommendations.

Use Peak Global Lifetime or Zerex G-05
smile.gif

My 1993 Ford 1.9L has had it since the late 1990s, and apparently so has my 1986 Toyota (bought used). Each has its their original radiator, water pump, and heater core.

My 1999 Camaro had 12 yr old DexCool in it when I bought it used from the orig owner in 2012. Despite it being a murky brown color, the radiator was spotless. I've used DexCool ever since on a 4-5 yr interval and never an issue. The engine is 100% original as well on 19K miles. I will stay with the DexCool. Why change what works? Just keep the system full and change out as required.

The problem was never with DexCool. But rather with poor maintenance habits by the owners who did "happen" to own those engine gaskets that could fail if you completely ignored coolant system.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 69GTX

The problem was never with DexCool. But rather with poor maintenance habits by the owners who did "happen" to own those engine gaskets that could fail if you completely ignored coolant system.

You, sir, do not know of what you speak. One example does not make a case study.
Dexcool in an LS series engine is not a problem. Dexcool, immaculately maintained in my '97 C2500 5.7 managed to eat the intake manifold gaskets. Those gaskets might have failed anyway with conventional antifreeze, but not at the 7 year 60k mile point where they did. And this was not an isolated case, it happened to just about every vehicle with that engine (and many others) when factory equipped with Dexcool regardless of how well they were maintained.
Now, if you are talking about the reported Dexcool sludge that happened in unsealed systems that were not properly maintained, I am in agreement with you. But for many late 90s and early 2000s GMs, Dexcool combined with bad intake manifold gaskets compounded the problem with both, and existed regardless of how well the system was maintained.

Not knowing if the newer OEM gaskets I used in the 5.7 small block were of the improved design (I didn't know about the Dexcool/IMG problems in 2003/4 when I replaced them) I use G05 in that truck, and have had no problems since. All my other GMs that don't have the common IMG problem get Zerex Dexcool and are clean as a whistle.

Preface by saying, I'd use DexCool now in any newer vehicle designed and spec'd for it. However back in the day, combine known plasticizer 2eha found in Dex, GM LIM gaskets not engineered for it, GM angle neck radiator fill holes with non pressurized recovery tanks, recipe for failure. The first two accounted for gasket issues. The second two, for not being able to completely fill the radiator leaving air in the system which accounted for Dex gelling often seen. Whoever came up with the idea of angle neck fill holes with non pressurized recovery tanks, should imo be taken out behind the wood shed. My .02

Interesting how we have used GM trucks exclusively for decades yet NEVER had a Dex issue. Both Silverados and Savanas, with unpressurized overflow tanks and without. We still have brand new Express 3500 service vans with unpressurized overflow tanks! Should we tremble in fear?

And lest you imagine it was meticulous maintenance we rarely ever even touched cooling systems until component failure, usually at least 150k miles.

One of my best trucks ever was a 2000 Savana 3500 that ran almost 200k miles before getting totaled. Entire drivetrain went into my good friend's Buick hot rod, still running today!

Many older GM using Dex still running too. Many of them after replacing GM LIM gaskets with proper gaskets designed and engineered for Dex. And having owned 06 Grand Prix 3.8L with angle neck fill hole and non pressurized recovery tank, ime as noted virtually impossible to fill to the top. GM now uses pressurized recovery tanks and no angle neck fill hole on radiator to be found. Obviously, not all anecdotal experiences identical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back