strong transmissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by joegreen
Yeah 90s Toyota automatics really most Toyota automatics.

The AW70/71/72 was used in a bunch of cars from the Toyota Cressida to the fleet of RWD Volvos. It's known for being bulletproof and if the valve body attains some wear it actually shifts more firmly.

Originally Posted by eljefino
Originally Posted by joegreen
Yeah 90s Toyota automatics really most Toyota automatics.

The AW70/71/72 was used in a bunch of cars from the Toyota Cressida to the fleet of RWD Volvos.
It's known for being bulletproof and if the valve body attains some wear it actually shifts more firmly.

+1
Most of those trannies in the Volvo lineup were avail up to the early/mid 90s in the 200/700/900 series.
Downside of one of these, are most are approaching collector/antique status at this point. As a result finding parts for the vehicles are becoming more challenging.

Originally Posted by Number_35
Popsy said:
Popsy, I don't know if it's the same tranny, but we're pretty happy with the 5-speed MT in our '09 Mazda 5 (2.3). It seems to do really well on Redline 75W-90 GL-4 fluid.

Make sure you're using a GL-4 (rather than a GL-5) fluid! It needs to be 'grabby' enough to get the synchos up to speed, and not degrade the brass synchros.

Thanks!
Bus sadly mine is the automatic 5 speed (FRN5). I say sadly cause I'm not really a fan of this transmission, even if it seems to be a smooth one.

What about the 4R70W transmission in the rear wheel drive Fords? Never had an issue in my Grand Marquis and many of them on the road fro many hundreds of thousands of miles.

If they still made the I wonder what engine they would go to the 3.5 ecoboost?

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Originally Posted by HyundaiAbuser
rougly 95-05 sedans

Toyota's automatics, I don't know that they're called because I never had to do any research on them because they never have any problems
happy2.gif

I think one of them is called A541E
21.gif

The Camry, Corolla, Tercel, and Echo are all awesome cars. Toyota makes the best cars.

Honda makes the best manual transmissions. Their automatics aren't quite as good.

Anything with an Aisin automatic transmission.

Strong? Keep in mind my limited experience due to my age, and lack of knowledge of older transmissions. But of what I know '95 and newer... Tremec T-56. Best tranny ever IMO. Second favorite (*so far after 10K*) is whatever 6-speed auto (anyone know?) is in my '16 Elantra. 3rd is probably the 4R70W (although the torque converter shudder problem is real). But since none of the above fit the OP's criteria, I'll see myself out.

Originally Posted by talest
4R100

Except running behind Powerstroke diesels in certain applications pulling really, really heavy loads for a long time. (cooler flow circuit needs more flow)

Behind the 460 / 7.5 liter, they run forever and ever and ever

Originally Posted by spk2000
What about the 4R70W transmission in the rear wheel drive Fords...... many of them on the road for many hundreds of thousands of miles.

Mine has 193,000 and I don't think the pan has ever been off.

I pull 8,000lb - 10,000lb loaded trailers pretty often, plus the 6,000+ lbs truck (tools, chains, fuel, etc...) so I'm really surprised it has lasted this long!!

Originally Posted by zorobabel
Originally Posted by 92saturnsl2
The RE4F04A in my '96 Maxima has 265k miles and still shifts like new. Last changed the fluid at 200k, and it's still bright pink.

What ATF are you running?

At 200k, a complete flush was done with Maxlife ATF. Unknown transmission service history before that.

Around 275k I expect to do a fluid drain & refill using Maxlife-- I'm not a huge fan of Maxlife products but if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Originally Posted by zorobabel
Originally Posted by JC1

Go for a 95-97 Honda Accord. I had a 94 accord and only did drain and fills. No issues with the tranny after 240,000 miles. I sold it shortly after that.

My 97's tranny died at around 280k. I don't believe it was serviced for the first 248k or it's life.

You made it look like you bought his Accord. At 240K even serviced at every 30K miles the transmission is on borrowed time.

Well guys... i bought a manual lol. staying true to my name got a 2003 Hyundai Tiburon 2.7 v6 w 160k miles for 1500. Everything looks good so far.

rougly 95-05 sedans

I take it corrosion isn't much of an issue for your area?

I'll say the later 722.6 MB transmissions are stout and can handle tons of power, just gotta watch out for those pesky $20 adapter plugs leaking, but quite an easy fix

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 92saturnsl2

At 200k, a complete flush was done with Maxlife ATF. Unknown transmission service history before that.

Around 275k I expect to do a fluid drain & refill using Maxlife-- I'm not a huge fan of Maxlife products but if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Thanks, that's what I've been running for the past 90k. I'm going to Castrol HM next, just to see what difference a 8cst ATF will do in this transmission.

Well guys... i bought a manual lol. staying true to my name got a 2003 Hyundai Tiburon 2.7 v6 w 160k miles for 1500. Everything looks good so far.

Cool
thumbsup2.gif

I hope you get many enjoyable miles out of it
smile.gif

I'd be more afraid of the transverse V6 than anything

Daimler/Benz Nag1 or WA580 5-spd auto. Used in a few of their models from the Jeeps to I believe a couple of their RWD platforms. Great Trans.

Originally Posted by meep
Daimler/Benz Nag1 or WA580 5-spd auto. Used in a few of their models from the Jeeps to I believe a couple of their RWD platforms. Great Trans.

They put that thing in everything from mild v6's to wild SRT's cranking out 470hp! I liked it way better than the 545RFE.

I never had the RFE flavors - my GC was an early 93 with the AW4, but yeah - the WA580 was an excellent unit. It was one of the best parts in my 2008 GC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back