2018 Ram 6.7 UOA Royal Purple Duralec 15-40 super

Status
Not open for further replies.
First time doing a UOA. This is my 2nd full of Royal Purple. I know it gets a lot of hate on here but here are my results on my new Ram. Truck is all stock with emissions intact for this run. Next run will be no emissions as they were re routed right before this oil change.

CFF56068-568A-471B-A5AF-9812AC424F8E.png

Last edited:
Ah yes, the old hate label. Am I the only one who doesn't see "hate" when people make factual arguments?

You've seen all this hate since you joined in January?

Hate or truth? It will be interesting to see the next UOA and see where the numbers are. If they come back elevated like this sample I would probably consider an alternative.

This is why it's usually a good idea to wait a while on UOAs on a brand new diesel engine-weird stuff comes up (like the potassium in this case), doesn't hurt to wait until the 3rd oil change with a new oil to flush out all the old stuff. I must be old school, but I like a little moly and/or boron in my oil, and this RP has neither, but I had good luck with the old CI-4 Synerlec RP 15W40, now called Ultra. That's what I would use once the DPF falls off!

Some of you fellers are sensitive it seems.

Bullwinkle thanks for the informative feedback. I'll run this next one and see what it looks like, then might change to something different.

Originally Posted by Downs807
Some of you fellers are sensitive it seems.

Bullwinkle thanks for the informative feedback. I'll run this next one and see what it looks like, then might change to something different.

You will find the more posts the more sensitive.

If you say so. I guess I was looking at it the other way around, I'm not sensitive about it at all. I wasn't the one coming along with the immediate "hate" label, I was pointing out that I don't see it. I especially haven't seen all the hate posts against the brand in the past six months. Stuff on here usually gets debated on performance parameters rather than brand fanaticism.

Originally Posted by sloinker
Hate or truth? It will be interesting to see the next UOA and see where the numbers are. If they come back elevated like this sample I would probably consider an alternative.

Think the main hate here is we hate to see folks spend way more than they need to. HDEO's are made from better base stock these days … and robust add packs. HD pickups with Diesel engines don't need high priced lubes …
How many times has DNewton posted numbers to support this …

The copper could be from an oil cooler (I assume it has one), but what is up with the aluminum and iron? The engine does have 20K miles on it, is this the 3rd OC? The viscosity is also nearing the bottom of the range, short trips or lots of idling?

Depending on the results of the next UOA, I would look to another oil.

hate is such a strong word.

I hate spending $50 on oil when $20 does the same thing and is a brand name synthetic in both cases.

Its like paying $12000 for a new roof when another guy with better recommendations would do it for $7000

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
The copper could be from an oil cooler (I assume it has one), but what is up with the aluminum and iron? The engine does have 20K miles on it, is this the 3rd OC? The viscosity is also nearing the bottom of the range, short trips or lots of idling?

Depending on the results of the next UOA, I would look to another oil.

Correct 3rd change on Royal Purple. I drive 65 miles round trip daily and rarely let the truck idle for long periods.

Originally Posted by Rand

I hate spending $50 on oil when $20 does the same thing and is a brand name synthetic in both cases.

Its like paying $12000 for a new roof when another guy with better recommendations would do it for $7000

You have a point. What do you guys suggest?

Something like Mobil Delvac 1300? I

If you were going to change I'd recommend the new Rotella T6 15w40. But I think it's interesting that you're running Royal Purple and look forward to your future UOA's of it.

Screenshot_20190609-080713.jpg

Hope they finally got the Noack down where Delo and Delvac $12 dino lubes are …

Copper and potassium show this Engine isn't done breaking in yet. I'd wait before doing more UOAs.

And yes, Cummins ISB engines are known for taking 30-40k miles to break in.

Copper is going to be the oil cooler leaching, and potassium is going to be intercooler leaching.

Originally Posted by DoubleWasp
Copper and potassium show this Engine isn't done breaking in yet. I'd wait before doing more UOAs.

And yes, Cummins ISB engines are known for taking 30-40k miles to break in.

Copper is going to be the oil cooler leaching, and potassium is going to be intercooler leaching.

+1 took awhile to get all the break in materials to wash out of mine. Just run good filters like Fleetguard Stratapore or Donaldson Blue and you'll be fine. I firmly believe good filtration is more important than brand of oil used. Just change it regularly based on UOA sampling's.

Originally Posted by SavagePatch

If you were going to change I'd recommend the new Rotella T6 15w40. But I think it's interesting that you're running Royal Purple and look forward to your future UOA's of it.

Funny I used to use Rotella and still love it but when I got my new truck (upgrade from my 2005 5.9) I wanted to use a full synthetic 15-40 and Rotella didn't offer that and didn't want to pay AMSOIL prices to chose to run try Royal Purple as a full synthetic 15-40 alternative. I may switch back to Rotella now that they offer a 15-40 T6.

Originally Posted by SavagePatch

Funny I used to use Rotella and still love it but when I got my new truck (upgrade from my 2005 5.9) I wanted to use a full synthetic 15-40 and Rotella didn't offer that and didn't want to pay AMSOIL prices to chose to run try Royal Purple as a full synthetic 15-40 alternative. I may switch back to Rotella now that they offer a 15-40 T6.

Call me an old stick in the mud, but if I'm going to pay extra for synthetic oil, I want the benefit of higher inherent VI in the base stock to show up in better cold performance. Hence, I think synthetic 15w40's are a ripoff. 5w40 for me. If the weather is above freezing, then put in a conventional 15w40. The Cummins engine does not shear oils. I have run RT6 5w40 for hundreds of thousands of miles, and it always comes back at 15.4 cSt after a 30,000 mile change interval.

And it will take a long time for your Cummins to break in. It seemed to me that my Iron wear numbers didn't bottom out until after 200k miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back