Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 5350 km F150 3.5 EcoBoost

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been logging all my oil changes with Pennzoil warranty program.
10 years 400,000 kilometers, free warranty for using their product.
Should cover me for as long as I own the truck.
My Ford dealer didn't want to do anything when I showed them the original oil change with 8.5% fuel dilution on the oil I drained from the new engine at an early OCI. Ford won't do anything unless a check engine light comes on. Was thinking about using a Catch Can, but didn't want to modify my engine to give Ford a reason to deny warranty.

To be honest I'm not sure how you'd accurately measure an 8.5% fuel dilution level. Even on the lower levels if it's being done by a viscosity measurement then it is an estimation.

Originally Posted by 4WD
That power intensity of motor in Oz or other non CAFE place ? … Bet it'd be on an X40 … So, if I was changing it that often that gives a weather window to roll with a 0w40 for one OCI and see where it becomes a 30 … go a bit more …
My 3.5L eb was noticeably quieter when I stepped up … so assumed those 10m long chains got happy …

5W30 is the recommendation Ford knows 5W30's shear during and after use it was part the engine testing. If this was not sufficient Ford would make the grade recommendation a 40 grade. All the company did was bet the farm on that powerplant.

Originally Posted by StevieC
In 5,000km (3,000 miles) it has used 1/3 of the calcium, Molly dropped by 1/4, Boron is almost 1/2, and Zinc is almost 1/2 and it dropped 0.8cst as well.

I have little problem with the oil. I have an issue with the accuracy of the UOA.

Originally Posted by Garak
In 5,000km (3,000 miles) it has used 1/3 of the calcium, Molly dropped by 1/4, Boron is almost 1/2, and Zinc is almost 1/2 and it dropped 0.8cst as well.

I have little problem with the oil. I have an issue with the accuracy of the UOA.

Same Here.

Originally Posted by kschachn
To be honest I'm not sure how you'd accurately measure an 8.5% fuel dilution level. Even on the lower levels if it's being done by a viscosity measurement then it is an estimation.

Originally Posted by rollinpete
Originally Posted by Garak

Same Here.

The first sample was tested by Fluidlife labs in Edmonton using Gas Chromotography.

I haven't had an oil analysis come back that didn't have some reportable fuel dilution.
This is the first sample I have sent of the Pennzoil Platinum, but ran the last OCI with Penzoil platinum as well.
This is the first sample to have Boron flagged as reportable. When using the Motomaster the additive pack was:
178 Moly, 81 Boron, 2170 Calcium, 5 MG 658 P, 1002 ZN.
Looking at this report it appears there are 3 OCI's with reportable variances in Boron levels.

I am going to continue to run at 5-6000 km, (31-3700 miles) OCI, but only going to test annually.
I did send a duplicate sample into Blackstone labs to see how they compare.

This truck has not pulled anything yet, besides a boat, or an ATV in the bed. Might have to hook onto a camper trailer & give it a run this summer.

During break in process, I ran auto transmission manually, shifting up through the gears to vary, & hold higher RPMs.

No news there … owned one of those loud motors that tested lowest DB on 0w40 … stink like gas when draining …

IMO, it's just one more CAFE compromise like our L83's are (use same AFM hardware when on 5w30 fill) …

Even my Cruze specs higher grade oil in other countries …

All of mine were/are "eco" something motors … (and my Fusion Hybrid is not) …

Originally Posted by MParr
Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 is a little on the thin side for my liking.

I agree it might be a bit thin for the OPs application....but I think PP 5w30 would work well in some 5w20 spec'd vehicles (like mine).
I'd probably try Mobil 1 5w30 or one of the other 'thicker' brand synthetics if I had an Ecoboost.

Originally Posted by pbm
Originally Posted by MParr
Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 is a little on the thin side for my liking.

I agree it might be a bit thin for the OPs application....but I think PP 5w30 would work well in some 5w20 spec'd vehicles (like mine).
I'd probably try Mobil 1 5w30 or one of the other 'thicker' brand synthetics if I had an Ecoboost.

Is it the viscosity index that indicates how thick an oil is? I might just stick with the PP. I have been sending receipt info into PP & bought in to their warranty program. If Ford wont stand behind their engine past their warranty, I can bark up Pennzoil tree.

I don't expect any problems from the engine, but I did keep my last truck until it had over 380000 kilometers, when it was stolen from me, so the 400000 km warranty isn't out of the question.

I sent Pennzoil a copy of my oil analysis, & surprisingly received a quick response.

I wanted their take on the fuel dilution issue, & advised them that I was going to take them up on their 400,000 kilometer warranty offer.

They seemed to consider 5% fuel dilution a condition that would still be safe, not as a Shell standpoint but on personal experience.

See attached reply:

Good morning Calvin,

Here is this answer received by the out lube support team.

In our LubeAnalyst system, we do not have Boron warning limits for Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 Full Synthetic Motor Oil as this is only present in the additive package as a dispersant. Boron does come with some anti-wear properties, but the main surface active anti-wear additive metals present in Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 are Zinc and Phosphorous, which appear to be fine in the oil analysis provided by the customer.
You can see that the Zn and P levels have all dropped significantly from the fresh oil, indicating they are doing their job in forming tribofilms around the engine.
We would not be worried about the fuel dilution levels currently, but a rough figure of 5% would be a good number to take action in future.
This is not a limit that Shell provide, this is an experience based level.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[email protected]

To:

[email protected]

CC:

Sent:

27.03.19 19:09:13

Subject:

Pennzoil Platinum Used oil analysis

I recently purchased a new 2018 F150 with the 3.5 EcoBoost engine, in May of 2018.
I have been changing oil at early oil change intervals (IOLM showing 60-80% oil life remaining) due to fuel dilution.
Are there any limits to additive depletion, that I should be monitoring?
Fuel dilution issues were as high as 8.47% with the factory installed engine oil when it was changed out at 3904 kilometers.
Oil was replaced with a synthetic Canadian Tire branded oil, for the next 3 OCI
I decided to switch to an oil that is labelled "redesigned for modern turbocharged engines", & a Dexos 1, Gen 2 approved oil, at 17626 kilometers.
I am currently using your PP 5W-30 and have completed 3 oil changes now with this oil.

On my oil analysis it appears that additives have dropped out on a relatively short OCI.

Should I worry about Boron levels being depleted to 58% of the new oil specifications? They flagged it as lower reportable.

This is the first oil analysis completed while using your oil shown at 27866 kilometers, but the previous oil change was also PP 5W-30 when oil was changed at 22516 kilometers, & first oil change with your product was at 17626 kilometers.

I contacted Ford (dealer, & corporate) about the first oil change & the fuel dilution I had, (fluidlife) & they will not do anything unless a check engine light comes on. They will not tell me what a safe level for fuel dilution is. I am changing my oil based on a severe operating conditions, but I do not drive under severe conditions. Most of my driving is at highway speeds, & I do not idle for extended periods.

I have committed to using your oil to take advantage of your 10 year engine warranty up to 400,000 kilometers.
I thought you might be interested in a copy of my oil analysis

See attached.

Thanks

Calvin Lamb

The results on this oil came back from Blackstone as well.
Some of the additive pack numbers look better, but they didn't find any fuel dilution.

Code

AGAT Blackstone AGAT./ PP 5W-30 Baseline

Aluminum 3 3 0

Chromium 1 1 0

Copper 8 7 0

Iron 10 12 0

Tin 0 1 0

Lead 1 0 0

Silicon 6 6 4

Molybdenum 60 73 83

Nickel 0 0 0

Silver 0 0 0

Potassium 1 1 0

Sodium 5 3 0

Boron 130 (Lower Reportable) 136 224

Barium 0 0 0

Calcium 700 883 1033

Magnesium 577 598 631

Manganese 1 1 0

Phosphorous 466 547 604

Zinc 472 607 732

Visc 40C 47.5 54.2 53.5

Visc 100C 9.0 8.55 9.55

Visc Index 174 133 163

Fuel % 3.0 (Lower Reportable)
Flashpoint 400

Blackstone should not even have a line item on their report for fuel dilution, since they don't really measure (with gas chromatography).

I wonder, assuming you are inclined to continue with Pennzoil, if bumping up to Ultra Platinum, or maybe a euro spec Platinum, would help. It won't cure your fuel dilution, but it might mask it by starting with a higher viscosity, and/or having a better add pack. I would love to hear Pennzoil's reply to this "advice / opinion," because maybe I am full of cak, but an important question for them is if it would endanger your Pennzoil "warranty." I am concerned with similar problems in my EB; I will miss your reports (since you are going "annual"). I'm probably going to say goodbye to Pennzoil though, or at least the ILSAC SN+ version of Platinum. I recently filled with Ultra, and if that produces a better UOA, I have another jug I can use for the next fill. Euro Platinum A3/B4 potentially sounds even better, assuming I can get the "regular SAPS" version here. I won't need a change until mid or late summer though.

Did someone say Pennzoil? Here a few simple comparisons. Threw in a few another Shell owned products from a previous post.

FCD82E97-5E6B-445B-808E-02A27305EAAE.jpeg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Did someone say Pennzoil? Here a few simple comparisons. Threw in a few another Shell owned products from a previous post.

Do you have the results for pre-SN+ Ultra Plat...say 2017 version? I thought it had >2000 calcium.

Also, is there good reason to believe the QSUD or Rotella mult-vehicle would not shear more (or dilute more) than the Pennzoil brands? I actually hope so. I had dilution-related viscosity drop over 1 (9.6 to 8.3) with Platinum, and want to compensate for that. Starting out with higher starting viscosity is what I mean by "compensate." I don't remember where I saw it, but I seem to recall some QSUD started out high, but sheared to just as low a final viscosity as my Platinum in someone's UOA.

Last edited:
Hmmm, didn't mean to leave out the RGT, which also starts out with higher viscosity. Can't go back and edit, missed the cut-off.

Originally Posted by CT8
Originally Posted by ZZman
Some of those numbers look awfully low.

Short oil change interval.

I meant the additives

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back