Oil stash

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't build too much of a stash of oil filters. One doesn't know how long they'll have their car. You could lose it in a crash the next year.

20 filters for three cars means you expect to drive these cars for the next 35K to 70K miles.

I keep about one oil change on hand. If I see oil on sale, sometimes I'll buy it. I do have 3 5 quart jugs of Chevron 5W-30 for my daughters highlander that i bought on closeout. But I am generally trying to avoid stockpiling supplies. So when I do an oil change, I will start looking for the supplies for the next oil change and will buy them when I see a good deal on it. But only enough for the next change (or maybe the next two depending on the packaging and the required quantity).

I keep about one oil change on hand. If I see oil on sale, sometimes I'll buy it. I do have 3 5 quart jugs of Chevron 5W-30 for my daughters highlander that i bought on closeout. But I am generally trying to avoid stockpiling supplies. So when I do an oil change, I will start looking for the supplies for the next oil change and will buy them when I see a good deal on it. But only enough for the next change (or maybe the next two depending on the packaging and the required quantity).

^^This^^

Originally Posted by tom in boise

I agree with you method. It should be noted that less than 10% of BITOG members are true "oil hoarders".

Although I tend to stick with PP or QSUD...sometimes M1 HM...I'm not much of a stasher just because sometimes I like to try something new or different for the heck of it.

For example, I will be trying the Rotella Gas Truck on my next change on the truck. And I have been considering giving the Maganatec a whirl on our GDI.

If I had a stash I probably would be less likely to try something new, and trying different oils is fun sometimes.

Originally Posted by JLTD
35.gif

Depends. Let's see - answers will range from "lots in case of armageddon" to "my stash is at Malwart"

lol.gif

This.
Only you can determine how much is too much for you.

Originally Posted by CKN

I agree with you method. It should be noted that less than 10% of BITOG members are true "oil hoarders".

I would think it is even less.

You also have to look at not just how much oil, but how long it will take to use that oil.

If you have only 1 car that takes 4 qts of oil and you change 2x a year, 20 qts, that is 5 changes (2.5 years worth of oil).

Someone that maintains 5-6 vehicles, 20 qts is 1 weekend sometimes.

You also need to look into storage for how much you have. If you plan on having 100+ qts of oil, you need space to store it, ideally in a climate controlled environment if keeping it for a long time.

For me, I am probably just above the hoarding stage, I have 115 qts, about 3 years for the 7 regular vehicles I do changes on (with an occasional odd friend vehicle change also).
I have about 2 years of filters in my stash.

I had set my limit @ $2/qt for synthetic, free for conventional.
With a lot of deals lately, I have set it down to $1/qt synthetic and pass on conventional or blends.
I do not plan on buying any more filters unless I find a great clearance deal somewhere. Otherwise I will be using Supertech filters for most vehicles (I don't plan on using any ST filters with combo valves, will use regular Fram in those cases).

Originally Posted by Brojo

If I had a stash I probably would be less likely to try something new, and trying different oils is fun sometimes.

That just means you need a bigger stash with more variety.
smile.gif

Buy as much as possible with sales, coupons, and rebates. Use it up. Then buy more the next time there are sales, coupons, and rebates.

Is that really a stash? Is it hording? I'm such a terrible person for not wanting to pay full price. It's like binge watching Orange Is The New Black.

I vary...currently have a stash...

Filters, maybe only 2-3...they aren't that interchangeable, so I buy three or 4 online when there's a bargain.

Oil
2 gals of 10W40 outboard oil for freeloading relatives who run out of oil (last time I used my edge on their car that only made it 200km before blowing up...the outbard oil was $8/gal.

Raging sellouts, (eg. the Delvac 10W30 in wife's Captiva), or 5W40 Dex2 when it's on great sale (10L Magnatec DX in the shed, 6 litres Penrite 5W40).

Otherwise, with the lease on the Colorado, I buy a litre of either TCW-3 or Havoline Pro-DS 5W40 when I fill up...then hand over the oil come service time.

Originally Posted by Shannow
Filters, maybe only 2-3...they aren't that interchangeable, so I buy three or 4 online when there's a bargain.

I lucked out with 2 cars which use the same filter. If I could only put that same filter on my Harley, I'd be all set. In 2015, I bought a case of Motorcraft for $14.98. Crazy price for 12 filters. I've still got half of those left. And if the price ever got that low again, I would buy another case. Not that I have any special love for Ford Motorcraft, or insist on using OEM filters. Just too cheap to pass up. Now that I think about it, I should have bought 2 cases. It would only give me the excuse to change oil more often, with the extra filters and dozens of quarts of rebate motor oil.

I have always gotten my filters by the case since everything I have even owned has taken the "chevy"(PH30) or "mopar"(PH43) type filter. Normally rockauto or Filter1.
My jeep is the 1st car I have owned that took something weird. I only have 3 or 4 of those in hand.

Oil I normally watch out for sales or close outs. I still have tons of Rotella T5 10w30 from the autozone close out years ago. I just used the last of AZ close out QSGB 10w40.

I tend to keep 1 year (or a little more) worth of oil changes worth and buy filters in 10pcs packs replenishing when down to 2-3pcs.
Buying oil and filters when on sale too.

So I went out and built a Esso XD-3 / Mobil Delvac Elite 222 stockpile (Delvac Elite 222 is just rebranded XD-3 from the Esso Sarnia refinery). 65L, 3 x 20L pails, and 5L of high-TBN 'classic" XD-3 0W-30. Given my commitment to almost never changing my oil (haven't changed oil since the Bush administration), that should effectively be a lifetime supply. Got an amazing deal on the old-spec Delvac Elite 222 in 20L pails. The Delvac Elite 222 has lower phosphorous which should be good for the vehicle I'm converting over, a 2005 Honda with the K24A4 engine that I recently acquired. Will run a 50-50 blend of Delvac Elite 222 0W-30 and Mobil-1 0W-20, and will see about doing a 0W-16 and 0W-30 blend if I can find 0W-16 Mobil-1 economically.

I'm getting low. Down to 3 gallons of 5W20 Mobil 1 and 2 Fram Ultras. At one point I had 8 gallons. I'm considering making the switch to 0W20 when the current stash runs out.

Last edited:
*Very nice of you to help out the low income folks with oil changes - that act alone could mean longer , reliable transportation for them and their families .
Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by Merek
I have at least 20-30 gallons of oil for the vehicles and 40-50 oil filters, probably another 15 gallons of diesel oil for the tractors.

I change my own oil (as needed) in my 3 cars, 5 trucks, 4 tractors and numerous other farm, ranch and landscape/construction equipment. I'm sure I am close to 40-50 gallons right now, and about 40-50 oil filters.

I also do numerous oil changes per year for various low-income families from various churches.

Almost all of my oil is clearance/sale priced - and I never pay more that $3.00 a quart no matter what.

I've got 40/45qts and I think maybe half a dozen filters. I've calmed down some on the rebate offers and picking over the clearance shelf at Wally's.

Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
Like Tommy Lasorda said, it's a disease, not a weakness. And I'm afflicted with it at age 68. I have three vehicles and I do changes for a friend. Stash equals 113 quarts and 20 filters.

There are worse ways to spend your money. Eg. gambling, smoking, drinking, go go bars...none of which I partake in, so maybe collecting oil is my/our vice....

Zero - this is hoarding behavior. I buy as needed.

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
Originally Posted by TiGeo

Yep

Nope
Whenever I get below a 24 month stash, I begin to tremble and have blurred vision.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by ka9mnx
Originally Posted by TiGeo

Yep

Nope
Whenever I get below a 24 month stash, I begin to tremble and have blurred vision.

There are meds for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back