Oil stash

Status
Not open for further replies.
How much oil and filters should be stashed? I keep around 6 months of oil and 8-12 months of filters i aquired from rebates and coupons.

35.gif

Depends. Let's see - answers will range from "lots in case of armageddon" to "my stash is at Malwart"

lol.gif

Depends with each individual. I like to at least have enough I can wait for the next sale and rebate period. That allows me to be real picky price wise. My last purchase was Pennzoil hard to pass up at $14 a Jug and Surprise they finally paid me a rebate. I can afford $4 a Jug oil.

Last edited:
I buy full-synthetic oil when on special or clearance for no more than $2/qt. Sometimes I don't have the right oil for an application and sometimes I have years worth.

I've got approx 80 quarts, gave my brother approx 30 quarts.
Oil filters about 10 due to clearance sale at Walmart.

No need for 250 quarts like some crazy BITOGers
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted by JLTD
35.gif

Depends. Let's see - answers will range from "lots in case of armageddon" to "my stash is at Malwart"

lol.gif

...‚...‚...‚, I'm towards the Malwart end of the scale.

I'm too cheap to pay regular prices for oil. I rarely pay more than $2/qt. So when I find it cheap I buy it up! No way will I pay $7/qt @ pep boys or Orlieys.

The Chevron in buy @ Costco for about $3.40/qt iirc is definitely a rarity for me lol. But that's the oil I chose for her FJ. I probably have 60 or so quarts.

Originally Posted by Spitter
How much oil and filters should be stashed? I keep around 6 months of oil and 8-12 months of filters i aquired from rebates and coupons.

I keep two years of both. My next purchase is about 18 months away and will be the soon-arriving GF6 / SP oil.

I maintain five cars and a tractor. About 2 years worth oil on my basement shelf with filters. I buy on sale or with rebate.

In MY situation, Just-In-Time inventory management works out fine. Even on the very rare occasion that PP 5w-20 does not have a $10 rebate, it still is only about $22 at Meijer or Wallyworld. A person living in the boonies operates differently. I understand some people derive enjoyment from these fiscal and time management activities. Good for them, but not for me (I enjoy maintaining my own stuff, but I'm not going to invest energy on the logistics). Even at my workplace I maintain a very small inventory for top-ups, etc..

Originally Posted by JunkdrawerDog
I keep my stash right at 4 quarts. I store it in the crankcase of my car.

That's funny!...‚ðŸ‘

Back when I had a garage, I used to stash about a dozen quarts or so. But when I'd trade cars my stash would often become obsolete. Wrong viscosity, wrong spec., whatever. So I posted my stashed oil on CL. In no time at all, I was contacted by another BITOG'er living two streets over. He showed up and and bought all my stashed oil. I've never stashed oil since.

I usually buy enough for 2-3 oil changes per vehicle. Time it for Black Friday or After Christmas sales which are usually the best time of the year to buy oil up in Canada.

I have at least 20-30 gallons of oil for the vehicles and 40-50 oil filters, probably another 15 gallons of diesel oil for the tractors, 20 gallons of motorcycle oil and 15-20 filters for that which is honestly too many as it's a lifetime supply for that. Advance & Auto Zone had sales on motorcycle oil a few months ago so I stocked up on Castrol & Valvoline full synthetic. I have a lot of the Honda A01 filters you could buy them in bulk online but they are no longer available and now when you do they want way too much for them, also for the truck I have a ton of Pennzoil filters where a shop had closed up and I bought their leftovers.

My stash is getting out of hand and I really need to create a spreadsheet to track everything I have.

Six gallons of diesel oil on hand, and maybe 20 or so quarts on the shelf for the gasoline engines. About a dozen various filters for the oil changes. Just watch for roll back pricing, clearance and/or rebates weekly and stock the shelf.

It's not like it won't get used in the vehicles, tractors, or mowers eventually.

Hmmm.......Between my garage and storage, I have like 150-175 qts and have like 15 filters, Have to stock up on some for my new crown vic purchase lol

I have a 5 car fleet a moment and trade/sell cars around every few months so it fluctuates lol

Dave

Originally Posted by Merek
I have at least 20-30 gallons of oil for the vehicles and 40-50 oil filters, probably another 15 gallons of diesel oil for the tractors.

I change my own oil (as needed) in my 3 cars, 5 trucks, 4 tractors and numerous other farm, ranch and landscape/construction equipment. I'm sure I am close to 40-50 gallons right now, and about 40-50 oil filters.

I also do numerous oil changes per year for various low-income families from various churches.

Almost all of my oil is clearance/sale priced - and I never pay more that $3.00 a quart no matter what.

I generally keep 2-3 oil changes for my fleet all run 5w30 full syn now .
I buy special sales or rebates
filters are the same 2 or 3 for each one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back