Mercedes-AMG S-version M139 Officially Most Powerful Production 4 Cylinder

Status
Not open for further replies.
At 6:08 in the video, what is that gadget he is using to point down at the piston tops?

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Wonder how long it will live if a guy uses that 416 a lot? That's highly stressed no matter who built it.

My thoughts exactly.

AMG used to be an outstanding tuning company, so much so that MB bought it; now alas it's only a marketing tool to charge more money.

Originally Posted by Audios
I do not see these cars lasting long outside of the warranty period. We had an 04 E55 a few weeks ago with 270k, I doubt these will make half that. Id also love to see some reports with the 5/20.
Time will tell, but they seem to have engineered this engine very well. Turbo is cooled with water, oil, and air including (if I read it correctly) A/C at maximum boost, dual radiators, and 0W-20 oil (which I take to be full synthetic only).

More here:

https://www.motortrend.com/news/amg-m139-turbo-four-cylinder-engine-specs/

Originally Posted by Pelican
Originally Posted by AZjeff
Wonder how long it will live if a guy uses that 416 a lot? That's highly stressed no matter who built it.

My thoughts exactly.

AMG used to be an outstanding tuning company, so much so that MB bought it; now alas it's only a marketing tool to charge more money.
Any other 400+ HP production 4 cylinder engines on the market? I am not defending MB, but this seems to be a little more than tuning and marketing.

It's interesting that with the vacuum and the high tech atmosphere, it comes down to the person blowing on key parts to ensure cleanliness.

Now if he (?) had imbibed in too much schnapps the night before then the corrosive effects could be detrimental.

They obviously picked the most metro looking guy for this video.

That looks to be a incredibly boring job.

Will that worker ever be able to afford one? I am thinking not.

NRE Non reoccurring engineering cost. Has to be much of the cost.

Rod

Hi tech assembly process for a hi tech engine.

What's the reliability of this engine ?

Any manufacturer can make crazy horsepower based on the price point of vehicle.

I also wondered about that internal timing belt.

To answer the question about that thing placed on top of block when loading the pistons, it must be a sleeve to compress the rings before the pistons slide into block. They do t do that by hand anymore.

The sleeve is preferred. More important is how the rings are put on the piston without bending them any. I would have liked to see that machine.

He did manually arrange the grooves. I am a fan of well oiled rings and grooves. I did not see any oil for that. I can see not dipping the piston in oil anymore, but well oiled rings pack seems important to me. micro welding of rings to piston is a problem that tends to appear after some miles.

Rod

Originally Posted by ragtoplvr

Probably. The CLA45 starts at 53k. It's on MB's website, the current engine just does 375hp, 0-60 in 4.1 seconds.

Originally Posted by BigD1
At 6:08 in the video, what is that gadget he is using to point down at the piston tops?

Its a scanner. If you look at the piston tops there is a QR code on them. He scans in which pistons were installed into the engine. Probably verifying the correct pistons were installed or recording for future reference. I did notice their piston vendor is Mahle, the pistons have their Grafal coating on the skirt.

Ragtoplvr [That looks to be a incredibly boring job.
That was not how I imagined a hand built and signed AMG engine was made. Are these cars made to be leased?
Will that worker ever be able to afford one? I am thinking not. ] Yah that realization struck after owning an XJ6 The guys who built mine knew they couldn't afford their product and it made them angry

Rod

Why should that worker be able to afford one? This is a high performance engine which goes into a high performance car not a run-of-the-mill 4 door sedan.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl

Rod

Why should that worker be able to afford one? This is a high performance engine which goes into a high performance car not a run-of-the-mill 4 door sedan.

Worker in Germany might actually afford this engine, for slew of reasons.

Last edited:
The amount of ignorance about these engines is astonishing.
Thousands of taxis in Europe are running on 1.2-1.4 turbo engines and make in excess of 400-500k km. Like someone said here once, if it is not GM V8 and hydromatic 3 speed from 1940's, it ain't good.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by RayCJ
LOL: . I was shocked to see a synthetic internal timing drive belt at 4:55. I wonder if that means a required service down the road.

That's a $3k bone thrown to the dealer. rofl.

Originally Posted by edyvw
The amount of ignorance about these engines is astonishing.
Thousands of taxis in Europe are running on 1.2-1.4 turbo engines and make in excess of 400-500k km. Like someone said here once, if it is not GM V8 and hydromatic 3 speed from 1940's, it ain't good.

Indeed, a great many 1.2-1.4L turbos in Europe (and the US) lasting 270k miles -but how many of them are factory units that can make 416hp (319kw)?

Originally Posted by andyd
Thank you for very cool video, 2015_PSD. 416 hoss out of 2.0L is the state of the art in 2019. Who'd of thunk it. My main take away was the assembly process. That is pure ad smoke calling that a hand made engine. The human tool holder could be replaced by a couple of the many robotic arms I saw. I'm guessing from what i saw that the average 200 HP econo box engine of today is assembled by a line of robots with even less human participation than a signed AMG ?

oh god, so what you're essentially saying is that unless the builder is forging the con rods by hand it's not "hand made".
31.gif

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Originally Posted by andyd
Thank you for very cool video, 2015_PSD. 416 hoss out of 2.0L is the state of the art in 2019. Who'd of thunk it. My main take away was the assembly process. That is pure ad smoke calling that a hand made engine. The human tool holder could be replaced by a couple of the many robotic arms I saw. I'm guessing from what i saw that the average 200 HP econo box engine of today is assembled by a line of robots with even less human participation than a signed AMG ?

oh god, so what you're essentially saying is that unless the builder is forging the con rods by hand it's not "hand made".
31.gif

Compared to most modern production plants, this engine has a lot of human intervention and in this case it's one person unless the video was planned with just that one person.

A more up to date assembly can be viewed here. Skip ahead for the engine manufacturing process.

https://youtu.be/NOFuldRkGcs

Originally Posted by PimTac
Compared to most modern production plants, this engine has a lot of human intervention and in this case it's one person unless the video was planned with just that one person.

AMG engines have always been hand made by one person and signed by that person. On some forums, members compare who their engines were made by.

I hope this one is a good one, an earlier AMG engine, the M156 had headbolt problems in addition to a few other issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back