Your Diesel calls for 5w30, but warranty has ended...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just wonder if anyone with a modern diesel engine, and the warranty has expired, that has all the expensive emissions and DEF systems...... Has anyone moved to Rotella T6 5w40 or something similar? Or are you sticking with 5w30 Euro oils?

If someone were to move to 5w40... would that plug up our DPF and CAT?

I wish I could find a DEF delete for my ML250.

???????

Going to roll back to a 229.51 from a .52. on my OM642

I can find it in 40.

Prob go with 0w-40 M1Esp

UD

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
I just wonder if anyone with a modern diesel engine, and the warranty has expired, that has all the expensive emissions and DEF systems...... Has anyone moved to Rotella T6 5w40 or something similar? Or are you sticking with 5w30 Euro oils?

If someone were to move to 5w40... would that plug up our DPF and CAT?

I wish I could find a DEF delete for my ML250.

???????

Just about any passenger car diesel oil on the market today meets the requirements for DPF/SCR equipped vehicles. Oil weight doesn't matter. It's the OEM certification which matters. That being said T6 is 229.31 (API CK4) and it will probably be okay to use, but I can't imagine why anyone would want to use it.

Your vehicle has a DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) and a SCR (Selective Catalytic Reduction) system. The proper oil is required to insure long service life for the DPF. It is by no means a compromise that so many yahoos around here suggest.

Going to try T6 next in the GL, mines flashed to reduce egr. They do mention DPF and pollution control approved. The Valvoline blue also says it.

Originally Posted by Audios
Going to try T6 next in the GL, mines flashed to reduce egr. They do mention DPF and pollution control approved. The Valvoline blue also says it.

Not endorsing a choice in either direction, but all CJ-4 and newer lubes have claimed emissions compatibility. All HDEOs from then on have SA at 1.0 or less, although usually not much less.

Originally Posted by Rat407
What's wrong with what you are using now? Why change?

An EcoDiesel user went to 15w40 and recognized significantly reduced wear over 5w30.

That's my main motivation. I want to keep this car for a quarter million miles.

An EcoDiesel user went to 15w40 and recognized significantly reduced wear over 5w30.

Have you done a UOA on it now? Just curious. Just because one has good results doesn't mean you will. His driving style, location ie climate and such all come into play. Just saying.

Thicker isn't always better. I know diesels are a different breed than gas but when I switched over to a 0w-20 weight in my 5.3 Silverado the UOA didn't change, if anything improved slightly. This is with towing a 4k trailer and the vehicle is supposed to have 5w-30.

Again, not trying to start a bashing thread, Just wondering if you considered all the options and start out with a few UOA's. I'm not on here all that often so I don't cruise the entire site and follow like most do.

With today's oils, you could go 300k with it now using the oil you currently are using.

What are they saying on the vehicle specific websites ?
Look at numbers on 15w40 Delvac … Noack is just above 10 with the newer EHC base stocks …
$12/gallon … summer oil anyway …

With the new EHC base stocks … blenders can combine a couple similar GII+ stocks … little VM needed …
Many customers for this stuff already …

Originally Posted by Audios

From what I have seen Chevron Delo XPS 5w-40 better then Rotela T6 in all the tests I have seen. Plus it is SN+ rated for LSPI small turbos.

Exactly. Personally, I dont think I am smarter than the people that engineered, built and warrantied the engine. I would never change to a different weight/spec, especially not based on some anecdotal evidence from some stranger on the internet.

I switched over to 5w40 and 10w40 CJ-4 from the factory recommended 5w30 C3 type lube in my 2.8 Duramax at 1500 miles. Truck is completely stock.

I've seen significantly lower wear metals in my UOAs compared to what other people get from C3 in the same engine. I believe the additional dispersants and AW additives are beneficial in addition to the higher viscosity as this engine is overfueled and prone to fuel dilution with factory tuning.

Are those Duramax 2.8 (or even 3.0???) the same as FIAT (GM) JTDs? If so....xW40 is what you are supposed to use....

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Kamele0N
Are those Duramax 2.8 (or even 3.0???) the same as FIAT (GM) JTDs? If so....xW40 is what you are supposed to use....

GM purchased the rights to the VM A428 made a number of significant changes before rolling out the 2.5 and 2.8 Duramax internationally. Further changes were made to the NA engines for emissions. I don't believe any 2.8 Duramax parts are interchangeable with the old A428.

With that said, GM recommends Dexos 2 for this engine which is a C3 clone. In my experience 5w40 and 10w40 are excellent in this application.

I had that engine (Fiat 3.0 JTD) in Fiat ducato....made some 130.000kms with it...and local mechanic INSISTED to use sae40 oil with higher HTHS in it... He used Repsol Elite 5w40....

Originally Posted by Kamele0N
I had that engine (Fiat 3.0 JTD) in Fiat ducato....made some 130.000kms with it...and local mechanic INSISTED to use sae40 oil with higher HTHS in it... He used Repsol Elite 5w40....

Is that the same engine? I don't think so.

The A428 and R428 were made by V. Motori in Italy. They make a 3.0 but it's a V6.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back