strong transmissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm about to get another vehicle and i'm wondering what shouts y 'all have for ones with strong transmissions (and the transmission models).

Too broad.. What years / type of vehicle are you considering? For example the Borg Warner T19 is a strong transmission, but I doubt you're looking for a 4-speed in an 80's pickup- give us some info on what you're looking for.

A manual transmission ?

Ok I'm already out
wink.gif
wink.gif

Interested in answers too. For example is the FRN-5 in my Mazda decent ? I hate how it performs, but if it's reliable...

Originally Posted by HyundaiAbuser
rougly 95-05 sedans

Toyota's automatics, I don't know that they're called because I never had to do any research on them because they never have any problems
happy2.gif

I think one of them is called A541E
21.gif

The Camry, Corolla, Tercel, and Echo are all awesome cars. Toyota makes the best cars.

Honda makes the best manual transmissions. Their automatics aren't quite as good.

The A750 in my 07 Tacoma put up with a lot of abuse and severely overloaded towing. If you keep fresh fluid in them, they're pretty hard to kill. The million mile Tundra was the 4.7 with the A750, it went over 700,000 miles before being rebuilt. There was another 4.7 Tundra (recently)to make it a million miles, I believe its transmission was rebuilt around the same mileage.

I'm throw the asterisk on of not Toyota because that is their straight reputation and I have had great luck in my family with them before. I just would like to know more options.

Chrysler Corp A-413
GM 3T40
Both 3 speed autos.
No experience with Ford products.

I'm throw the asterisk on of not Toyota because that is their straight reputation and I have had great luck in my family with them before. I just would like to know more options.

Why do you need more options? What kind of vehicle are you looking for?

the Toyota selection in my area is somewhat limited and the prices are through the roof because of it.

The RE4F04A in my '96 Maxima has 265k miles and still shifts like new. Last changed the fluid at 200k, and it's still bright pink. They are known to be fairly bulletproof, according a lot of feedback I've read on some Nissan forums I frequent.

Pretty sure the Maxima used the same basic RE4F04A transmission perhaps with some updates (B revision) into the mid 00's until CVTs started appearing.

03 and 04 Camry 4 speed automatic. The 5 speed in the 05 was probably reliable but didn't shift as well.

rougly 95-05 sedans

Go for a 95-97 Honda Accord. I had a 94 accord and only did drain and fills. No issues with the tranny after 240,000 miles. I sold it shortly after that.

I don't know where you are, you might be in the rust belt so finding a car that old that is in good shape will be difficult.

The Infiniti G20 might be worth considering if you get an automatic. The manuals often pop out of 5th gear, but I don't know of any problem with the automatics. And it's an easy-to-work-on 4-cylinder
smile.gif

You might be able to get a Saturn Astra. They have an Aisin transmission.

The first-gen TL and first-gen RL might be worth considering since they use a longitudinal V6 (the TL was available with an I5). NOTE; the 2.5TL and 3.2TL are completely different cars forward of the firewall. They seem to be mostly exempt from the Honda Tax. However, both are interference engines with a timing belt
cry.gif

DO NOT get any 99+ Honda V6 automatic, except the first-gen Acura RL (up to 04). The autos attached to any J-series V6 are all JUNK!

Can you find a decent Chevy Prizm in your area? They are a rebadged Corolla.

Mazdas are good cars if cars don't rust where you are.

Originally Posted by 92saturnsl2
The RE4F04A in my '96 Maxima has 265k miles and still shifts like new. Last changed the fluid at 200k, and it's still bright pink. They are known to be fairly bulletproof, according a lot of feedback I've read on some Nissan forums I frequent.

Pretty sure the Maxima used the same basic RE4F04A transmission perhaps with some updates (B revision) into the mid 00's until CVTs started appearing.

That transmission is fine, and so is the LSD version RE4F04V (most I30's have it), but it doesn't count when the car around it is a pile of rust
smirk2.gif

The transmission is the only good thing about the Maxima
mad.gif

Rusty radiator supports, rust-prone in general, issues with the engine's electrical things (TPS, MAF, knock sensor, etc), and it's a transverse V6 with all the horror of getting to the back of the engine (and it's one of the better transverse V6 designs, but still scary to work on)

Originally Posted by Popsy
A manual transmission ?

Ok I'm already out
wink.gif
wink.gif

Interested in answers too. For example is the FRN-5 in my Mazda decent ? I hate how it performs, but if it's reliable...
Popsy, I don't know if it's the same tranny, but we're pretty happy with the 5-speed MT in our '09 Mazda 5 (2.3). It seems to do really well on Redline 75W-90 GL-4 fluid.

Make sure you're using a GL-4 (rather than a GL-5) fluid! It needs to be 'grabby' enough to get the synchos up to speed, and not degrade the brass synchros.

Originally Posted by Number_35
Originally Posted by Popsy
A manual transmission ?

Ok I'm already out
wink.gif
wink.gif

Popsy, I don't know if it's the same tranny, but we're pretty happy with the 5-speed MT in our '09 Mazda 5 (2.3). It seems to do really well on Redline 75W-90 GL-4 fluid.

Make sure you're using a GL-4 (rather than a GL-5) fluid! It needs to be 'grabby' enough to get the synchos up to speed, and not degrade the brass synchros.

Mine too, FNR5 performs just great, no problems and no issues with it

Originally Posted by 92saturnsl2
The RE4F04A in my '96 Maxima has 265k miles and still shifts like new. Last changed the fluid at 200k, and it's still bright pink.

What ATF are you running?

Originally Posted by JC1

Go for a 95-97 Honda Accord. I had a 94 accord and only did drain and fills. No issues with the tranny after 240,000 miles. I sold it shortly after that.

My 97's tranny died at around 280k. I don't believe it was serviced for the first 248k or it's life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back