Digital Camera Recommendations

Looking for the best digital camera for under $400. Just need a solid camera that takes great pictures, decent video would be nice too-- any features above that is welcome but not necessary. Cell phone cameras just don't have the image quality I'm looking for. My current 3.2MP Fuji Finepix 3800 (15+ years old) takes MUCH better photos than any cell phone camera I've ever used, but it's time to replace it. Anyone have any suggestions?

I tend to be brand loyal, and so when our '03 Canon died around '09 I replaced it with another Canon.

When the time comes, the one feature I haven't got but would really like would be GPS tagging. We had that on a work camera purchased c. early 2017, and it's just great.

Really enjoy my Panasonic LUMIX DMC FZ200 with super zoom. It runs circles around my iPhone and iPad and has wide angle to boot.

I've owned several Canon 'large' P&S's, still have wife using an SX50HS, had a G7x mark 2. These are $800+ cameras. I replaced the G7x with a Sony HX80 ($380), which has a 24-720mm equivalent lens. The lens is better than any of the Canons, but the sensor is smaller than the G7x, so in low light, there's digital noise. Tried a Panasonic LX100. Wasn't good at all.

I also have a Canon 5d mark 4 and several top of the line lenses, and shoot RAW and process in lightroom. Been doing this since 1998. I recently got a Sony RX100 version 6. In good light, I'm amazed by how great the images are in comparison to the Canon full-frame stuff. The RX100 v6 is a $1200 camera. You can get the prior versions for a lot less money, and I'd wholeheartedly recommend any of them that you can afford.

The Sony HX80 and RX100 will fit in a man's pants pocket. I disliked Sony up until I used the HX80. Their support may not be great, but the design and execution of these cameras is top-notch. I pretty much only use my big Canon for meteor photography, now.

I went to a local camera shop and they recommended a Fujifilm Finepix S1 with 50X zoom lens and the pictures from it are amazing. I paid 500 bucks though and I think that model has been discontinued (probably could get a deal on a used one). I would suggest going to a camera store where the people there are the most knowledgeable about all the latest models. I've found that prices are inline with online places too.

Last edited:
do you want DSLR or compact

do you want the ability to interchange lenses.. or just one built in, how much zoom do you want.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS30 is what we have - we love it.

Best digital camera we have ever had/ owned/ used.

As I browse and compare different models and camera features, I find my budget has steadily been increasing. This always seems to happen, but I typically buy stuff to last as long as possible and I don't want to buy something and then find a couple features that I wish I had!

I almost pulled the trigger on an Olympus OM-D E-M10 MK III (about $500) but then I discovered it has a screen that doesn't articulate and most disgusting of all, it doesn't stitch panorama shots together, a feature that's been present on most cameras 15 years ago! I'm not a selfie junky by any means, so I could live without the screen rotating, but I do use panorama mode from time to time, so that was a deal breaker.

Now I'm looking closely at the Panasonic Lumix G85, a good bit more expensive than I'd planned on going, but it seems to check all the feature boxes I want, with great reviews. In all reality the price difference isn't huge when you consider this will [hopefully] last me a decade or more. My wife may not agree with that line of thinking, but it seems logical enough. All she sees is numbers next to a dollar sign
smirk.gif
but she won't complain when it's time to use it!

I'm also considering the Nikon D5600, seems comparable with a larger sensor, but the trade-off is that it doesn't record in 4K. Any suggestions in the $600 range that might be better than the two I mentioned? I appreciate all the responses so far, learning a lot about these newer cameras, haven't shopped for one in a long, long time.

Your scope creep is getting a bit up there. You'd have to step up to a Nikon D7500 if you want 4k video. However I never use my camera for video. I started out with a Nikon D40, went to a D5100 and then D5200, haven't gotten around to upgrading for a few years. Mostly spent money on an external flash and a bunch of additional lenses.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Originally Posted by Wolf359
However I never use my camera for video.
Agreed. Get a camcorder if you want to shoot video.

My video needs are pretty meager. I just use my Samsung S8 which has 4k video. But I don't even own a 4k TV. One of these days when the TV breaks which might be a while...

I won't discourage you from getting a micro 4/3 camera (I have a Panasonic GX7) but think about whether or not you really would ever get different lenses. If you probably won't, a compact/fixed lens type camera is probably a better bet for you. The next question is what you'd like in a zoom range. The shorter the range, the better combo of sensor size and/or aperture you're going to get at a similar price point. For instance looking at some Panasonics that all have a 20MP 1" type sensor:
LX10 - 3x zoom, 24-72mm, f1.4-2.8
ZS100 - 10x zoom, 25-250mm, f2.8-5.9
ZS200 - 15x zoom, 24-360mm, f3.3-6.4
The first two are $500 and the 3rd is $700. The various Sony RX100 models are similar to the LX10.
Amazon shows the Panasonic GX85 with two lenses (the standard "Costco bundle" of a 3x zoom plus the 3-10x zoom) for
jeff

Originally Posted by skyactiv
Unless you gotta shoot 4K video
The best camera for the money today is a Nikon D3500 DSLR.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1433065-REG/nikon_1588_d3500_dslr_camera_with.html

This is an AWESOME camera that has been through a solid 5 ++ years of refinements/upgrades.
It started with the 3200, I own the 3300, have been taking pictures for decades using 35 mm film to digital cameras before most people knew what they were.

There is nothing basic about this camera, I just look at it as more compact and less stuff on it that you will never use.
Takes awesome photos and the Nikon "kit lens" are the best in the industry.

Add to that the price and there is nothing more to think about. Forget all the other stuff, sensors, MP's ect, thats all marketing, just like oil.
The Nikon, puts it all together in an awesome package at a price that cant be beat. Dont even give it another thought if your willing to spend $400.

any of the series D3300, D3400 if you can find a better price.

Last edited:
Back