*Almost* killed a bicyclist this morning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by AuthorEditor
So let me get this straight. A bunch of you only believe in legal rights for things you want to do, but no rights for people doing other things? Bicycles have the legal right to be on many roads. That includes the obligation to observe traffic laws. I both ride bikes and motorcycles and on virtually every ride some car or truck breaks the law and does something dangerous. The typical stupid move is to pull right out in front of me with no pause or recognition another vehicle is coming, like just happened to me 15 minutes ago. The offender was the usual: work truck with no rearward visibility, ladders on top, driver on the phone. Just backed out without a pause in front of my motorcycle, proceeded to the next intersection where he just rolled through the stop sign making a left turn with no signal.

I applaud the attempt to interject logic and reason into the conversation, but surely you know this approach is doomed to failure when deployed against illogical assertions, right?

Originally Posted by fdcg27
So the guy on the bike was clearly oblivious and because you were observant you avoided making a splat on the pavement of him.
He shows his gratitude by flipping you off.
Very classy.

Pretty much that's what happened.

That's why I asked for a low cost dash camera a few months ago. Too bad I didn't buy one back then a few months ago.

Camera

Glad you did not hurt that champion... That would have been very hard on you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I ordered a Rexing V1 dash cam with 64 gb SD card to record while I'm on the road.

Way too many close calls I've been minding my own business and some idiot causes trouble.

I have nothing against any responsible bicyclist sharing the roadway with vehicles.

Originally Posted by talest
Originally Posted by AuthorEditor
So let me get this straight. A bunch of you only believe in legal rights for things you want to do, but no rights for people doing other things? Bicycles have the legal right to be on many roads. That includes the obligation to observe traffic laws. I both ride bikes and motorcycles and on virtually every ride some car or truck breaks the law and does something dangerous. The typical stupid move is to pull right out in front of me with no pause or recognition another vehicle is coming, like just happened to me 15 minutes ago. The offender was the usual: work truck with no rearward visibility, ladders on top, driver on the phone. Just backed out without a pause in front of my motorcycle, proceeded to the next intersection where he just rolled through the stop sign making a left turn with no signal.

Call the police on them. Your inaction is part of the problem.

And it's your word vs his with no evidence? Does nothing. Helmet cam?

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Originally Posted by AZjeff
sport bike idiots, Harley idiots, lifted truck idiots, etc etc.

Agree. These are by far the worst offenders out there!

So nearby there is a large fairly new hospital with three big buildings … It has feeder lanes off a freeway, a tollway on one side and a two by two in the rear where employees, patients, and the ambulances come in off this street. Bunch of new houses get built on the other side and they petition to eliminate a lane each way to convert them into bicycle lanes. Plus there are already sidewalks. I have been down that road a good 20 times … no bikes … no walkers … but I have seen a couple ambulances use the remaining lane … and I pulled into the bike lane to let one of them pass …

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
My last honk as the guy rode away, he gave me the middle finger.

And he was thinking to himself: "How dare that blankity blank drive his car on my road!!"

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
My last honk as the guy rode away, he gave me the middle finger. He was around 35 and probably has a wife and kids.

Must be that same Florida man I keep hearing about on the news.

I was in the area again today and noticed the median has trees approximately 350 feet from the intersection. Maybe the trees blocked my vehicle from his view??
21.gif

Either way, it's the person with red light to stop at the intersection. When he approached the intersection he was looking straight ahead.

I bought an Apeman dash cam and Rexing for our vehicles. I was curious to see how they compare.

Originally Posted by Pelican
You should have hit the dolt and let darwinism take its place!
cry.gif

Way too many cyclist think that the rules of the road are not for them.

I see it all the time...bicyclists blowing through stop signs, not signaling when they turn, basically breaking every rule of the road...

Originally Posted by Gerle
Originally Posted by 14Accent
bicycle riders also don't contribute to (gas tax, sales tax, registration tax).
Are bicycles sales not taxed?

Once. When you buy it. How many bicycle owners do you know that ACTUALLY go get bike registration every year?

Yeah dont call the police. A complete utter waste of time. You don't call the police to report past traffic violations. What are they going to do?

Officer shows up 15 minutes later.
Complainer- "Officer, some guy ran that stop sign. He was driving a blue truck with ladders on it."
Officer - Stares in bewilderment that someone could be so stupid. "Ok. Thanks for reporting this. I'll get right on it." Laughs all the way back to his patrol car.

My wife and I drive 55k/year. I think I pay my fair share of road taxes as a result.

I thought bicycle registration was a means of registering the bike in case of theft. Quick look shows that Manchester has a program but it costs... a buck. Link.

Not a fan of bike paths, they often require slow riding (due to visibility issues). Also walkers are to bicyclists what bicycles are to vehicles. So I guess we too get to hate on slower traffic too.

Originally Posted by supton
My wife and I drive 55k/year. I think I pay my fair share of road taxes as a result.

I thought bicycle registration was a means of registering the bike in case of theft. Quick look shows that Manchester has a program but it costs... a buck. Link.

Not a fan of bike paths, they often require slow riding (due to visibility issues). Also walkers are to bicyclists what bicycles are to vehicles. So I guess we too get to hate on slower traffic too.

Good comment. Bike paths end up being multipurpose with walkers, skateboarders and the rest. One big problem is that these paths eventually have to intersect with a busy road. Accidents are common at these points.

In general, inattentive people are just the worst, biking, hiking, and walking. Did you get to count how many times you saw a pedestrian walk while reading a book when you were in Chicago?

Originally Posted by bubbatime

Yeah dont call the police. A complete utter waste of time. You don't call the police to report past traffic violations. What are they going to do!

If I saw someone driving and blowing through lights and stop signs, driving like a clown, etc and had their plate number I'd probably call in to 911 and report a possible drunk or impaired driver.

Originally Posted by grampi
cry.gif

I see it all the time...bicyclists blowing through stop signs, not signaling when they turn, basically breaking every rule of the road...

So what you are saying is they are just like motorists.

While driving into work on the 101 loop expressway last week, I passed an idiot driving while wearing one of these.. (or at least something very similar)

[Linked Image]

Completely covered his ears. He was also bobbing his head and making hand movements, clearly along with the music.

It's not just the cyclists.. there are idiots all over the place operating vehicles of all sizes. Your cyclist - definitely a moron and potential future Darwin Awards candidate.

Originally Posted by javacontour
Originally Posted by grampi
cry.gif

So what you are saying is they are just like motorists.

In many cases, worse...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back