Costco no longer doing free tire repair?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm out of town for a wedding and had a flat this morning. Pumped it up enough to drive and went to the local Costco. They charged me $14 to fix it. They said they no longer offer the free service to members unless you buy the tires from them. Anyone know when this started? My home town Costco has always fixed mine for free.

My Costco (Johnson County, KS) never had free tire repair, to my knowledge. You had to purchase their tires, which came with the road hazard program.

Originally Posted by JayhawkRoy
My Costco (Johnson County, KS) never had free tire repair, to my knowledge. You had to purchase their tires, which came with the road hazard program.

+1, thought this was always the way it was. $14 ain't bad. I got a local place to plug a snow tire a few years back. Charged me $30. I went and bought the plugs so I can do it myself for under $5.

Yeah, I never heard it was free. Maybe they just assumed you bought the tires there. There's a bunch of other chains that do free flat tire repair so you don't need to go there. Around here it's Goodyear which is completely free even balancing the tire afterwards. I thought the local chain Town Fair tire was pretty good, the flat fix was free, but they charged you $4 for balancing. I think Discount Tire also does them for free.

Costco says:
You must be the original purchaser of the tires.
You must have purchased the tires from Costco Wholesale.
You must present the original purchase receipt and tire to a Costco Wholesale tire centre.

Even bought at Costco, no tire service of any kind if tires after 60 months from date of purchase or 2/32 or less tread depth.

Not covered: 10 items including
A tire that is damaged/failed due to vandalism.

Details at: https://tires.costco.com/Footer?nodename=RoadHazardWarrantyTermsandConditions&lang=en-US

Costco used to do stuff like free flat and rotations for members. then they figured out they were fixing and rotating other peoples tires that were not purchased from Costco. if you have even been in a Costco tire place they are busy most of the time and all this " free labor" was causing long waits for real paying customers . many went somewhere else.

So they instituted new rules that stopped the free flat and rotations . this freed up a lot of time to service paying customers

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
Goodyear still does it for free.

Maybe your GY in friendly KS does it for free, I assure you mine doesn't. Nor does Firestone. They are in a tie for last place in customer service and bait and switch advertising.

I used to buy tires at Costco with good service but their limited selection made me a Discount Tire customer.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by user52165

Maybe your GY in friendly KS does it for free, I assure you mine doesn't. Nor does Firestone. They are in a tie for last place in customer service and bait and switch advertising.

I used to buy tires at Costco with good service but their limited selection made me a Discount Tire customer.

When was the last time you were at Goodyear? I think they just started this policy recently. Never went there for flat repair til they started advertising it was free and it really was free. Had a screw in the center of the tread and they took the tire off the rim and then balanced it afterward, took about an hour and I didn't pay anything.

Looks like it started October 2015.

https://corporate.goodyear.com/en-U...n-all-goodyear-auto-service-centers.html

Originally Posted by Electromotive
The Goodyear a few blocks from me advertises (signage on building) free flat repairs. Not sure what the particulars are.

There are no particulars. Come in with a flat tire and they will fix it if they can and if they do, it's free. Doesn't have to be a goodyear tire. Any tire.

Every single time I have gone to costco for a flat fix they tell me it's not repairable and I need a new tire...I just take it home and plug it and never had an issue with that. Costco's last claim was if the puncture is within an inch of the shoulder they wont fix it. I have plugged tires for 40 years, seriously, and have never ever had a problem with any of them, ever, not even in the sidewall of a radial. Have to use a quality plug though (un-vulcanized rubber), not the sticky string type, they leak after a while.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by badtlc
Discount Tire still fixes anyone's flat for free.
Yes they do, and same as Costco do it the right way, RMA. I hope it stays that way, realizing that things like that never guaranteed forever. I do believe that doing puncture repair FOC, free rotations and drive up air checks does bring them return business.

$14 is chump change if the service was done in a relatively quick manner.

If you paid $40 for this service(I have due to connivence/next to hotel elsewhere) you have something.

Some places it's free as a loss leader to potentiallyselling you typically sets of tires.

Not where I live, Yo umust have purchased the hazard coverage from Goodyear to have it done and the hazard coverage is only 3 years at that if you do get it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Spector

Not where I live, Yo umust have purchased the hazard coverage from Goodyear to have it done and the hazard coverage is only 3 years at that if you do get it.

Not sure if mentioned yet since haven't read the full thread but DT does it for free and WM TLE charges $10. I had TLE fix a flat and it did great for 5 years/60k miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back