API SP rating announced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
"API is introducing this new "Shield" at the request of automakers to prevent confusion and ensure that 0W-16 oils are used only in applications where they are recommended."

So the "shield" will prevent confusion. LOL.

Thanks for posting the source material Gokhan.

"Two of the new standards, ILSAC GF-6A and GF-6B, are the latest in a line of more stringent performance specifications put forward by the International Lubricant Standardization Advisory Committee (ILSAC), and a third standard, AP SP, is API's latest engine oil performance standard. API SP includes all of the ILSAC requirements while at the same time provides performance requirements for oils that do not fall under ILSAC-member recommendations. The new standards specify more stringent engine oil performance requirements for spark-ignited internal combustion engines. All three of these standards can be licensed under API's Engine Oil Licensing and Certification System beginning May 1, 2020."

I like the idea of a completely different marking to set 0W-16 oils apart from other grades. Good job API.

The new API SP oils still won't be marketed for another full year, LOL. SN has been around for, what, 10+ years now?

Is API SN the longest-running classification?

So, what happens when you put 0w16 oil in a car that calls for 0w20 or 5w30? Is it like on Ghostbusters when the beams cross? If so, I would think the shield emblem should have a warning statement.

Ray

Originally Posted by RayCJ
So, what happens when you put 0w16 oil in a car that calls for 0w20 or 5w30? Is it like on Ghostbusters when the beams cross? If so, I would think the shield emblem should have a warning statement.

In real life? Probably very, very little. Maybe a little more timing chain wear in some engines.

So, no SO?
smile.gif

Ray

More importantly...what happens when you put 0w20 in a car spec'd for 0w16?....

Thank you Urshurak776 for sharing this exciting news.

Of course we are anxious for the next 11 months to find out EXACTLY what this all means.

I presume GF-6A/SP to be a significant improvement over SN+/D1G2.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
New and improved but you never get a guarantee this oil will give your car 50,000 more miles of life?

It would be interesting to see good stats on why 27 million vehicles per year worldwide enter the salvage yard phase of life before being crushed.
My perception from Pick-a-parts is that it's not often due to engine failures, and that it might actually be 4th place after crash damage, corrosion, and failed transmissions.

Last edited:

Ray

The members of the Marvel Universe S.H.I.E.L.D jump out of the weeds and prevent people from pouring 0W-16 into their engines.
laugh.gif

So, what happens when you put 0w16 oil in a car that calls for 0w20 or 5w30?

Ever see those videos of thermite on an engine block?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back