How to identify an HDEO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
in the Small Engines forum a lot of people recommend using HDEOs in small engines. The recommended brands/types are either not available here in Europe or prohibitively expensive(~100€ for 5L). This got me to wondering how to tell whether a given oil is an HDEO or not. The only information I could find is that the oil should have a dual API rating for both gas and diesel. Is this the only criteria? This would make it easy, since virtually any oil available here is dual rated.

What are you looking for in the description to tell if it's an HDEO? Any manufacturer ratings to look out for? I have 5l of 15W-40 SL/CF but without any truck manufacturer ratings. Would you consider this an HDEO?

I'll start by saying(and I don't know this to be completely accurate or true) is that there are certain weights of oil that are only HDEO such as a 15W40. And the "C" in the "CF" rating is designated for "C"ommercial use. Others will chime in/respond with more accurate infomation to help better answer your question.

Last edited:
Euro HDEO's have ACEA Ex rating for commercial vehicle engines :
https://www.acea.be/uploads/news_documents/ACEA_European_oil_sequences_2016_update_REV_2.pdf

A passenger-car gasoline and diesel categories or a specific passenger-car OEM category might or might not be present (various reasons).

A quick reference for the available HDEO product lines are MB heavy-duty categories like 228.3 ; 228.31 ; 228.5 and 228.51 :
https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/228.3_en.html
https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/228.31_en.html
https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/228.5_en.html
https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/228.51_en.html

Most of these however are available in packaging of 20l and up.

If you share some more info about the application you have (gas or diesel, make and model etc...aftertreatment equipment... ) you'll get more relevant advice.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Char Baby
certain weights of oil that are only HDEO such as a 15W40. And the "C" in the "CF" rating is designated for "C"ommercial use.

That pretty much summarizes my level of knowledge on the subject.

All my OPE gets 15W-40 (non-synthetic).

I'm sure there is a similar "diesel engine rated" oil in Europe that is similar. Aviation (petrol/piston engine) oils also work well.

Look for ACEA E (E4/E7).

You can buy some in truck centers, garages, usually it's cheap. I used to buy it in bulk, Shell Rimula, Total Rubia, Castrol Vecton...
Most Shell retailers will carry Rimula, sometimes in bulk if you go to a truck repair center.

Also a standard ACEA A3/B4 oil in Europe is probably more "stoot" than many US oils, different cars, different OCI, different regulations at play. Forget API certs and look at ACEA, even if most manufacturers will state both.

Most HDEO used in Europe are now 5W30 or 10W40, for modern trucks. Be careful with 15W40, you can either get a true HDEO, or a very basic cheaply made conventional, read stickers carefully
wink.gif

Your 15W40 SL/CF (these are API certs) is probably ok. I wouldn't run 15W40 in my small engine in Austria, but that's just me and maybe I'm wrong about the climate there.

Originally Posted by thomil
Hi,
in the Small Engines forum a lot of people recommend using HDEOs in small engines. The recommended brands/types are either not available here in Europe or prohibitively expensive(~100€ for 5L). This got me to wondering how to tell whether a given oil is an HDEO or not. The only information I could find is that the oil should have a dual API rating for both gas and diesel. Is this the only criteria? This would make it easy, since virtually any oil available here is dual rated.

What are you looking for in the description to tell if it's an HDEO? Any manufacturer ratings to look out for? I have 5l of 15W-40 SL/CF but without any truck manufacturer ratings. Would you consider this an HDEO?

SL/CF is not a HDEO no

In Europe most 15W-40 HDEO are typically API SL, CI-4 and E7 for example

Last edited:
Here in Spain HDEO are easily available.

For example i can get all these locally :

Shell Rimula R6 LME 5W-30
Shell Rimula R6M 10W-40
Shell Rimula R3 Turbo 15W-40
Shell Rimula R4X 15W-40
Shell Rimula R4L 15W-40
Mobil Delvac MX 15W-40
Castrol Tection 15W-40
Repsol THPD / SHPD / UHPD 10W,40, 15W-40, SAE 30,40

Last edited:
And the "C" in the "CF" rating is designated for "C"ommercial use.

Everything I've read is that the "C" is for compression, diesel cycle. CF has been obsolete IN THE USA since about 1998 for roadway use vehicles. CI, CI+, CJ, and CK are still manufactured. CK is OFFICIALLY suitable for all prior applications, but Ford for 1 has some issues with some formulations is some engines.

Originally Posted by George Bynum
And the "C" in the "CF" rating is designated for "C"ommercial use.

Everything I've read is that the "C" is for compression, diesel cycle. CF has been obsolete IN THE USA since about 1998 for roadway use vehicles. CI, CI+, CJ, and CK are still manufactured. CK is OFFICIALLY suitable for all prior applications, but Ford for 1 has some issues with some formulations is some engines.

According to the API:
Originally Posted by API
Motor oils designed for cars, vans, and light trucks with gasoline engines fall under API's "S" (Service) categories. Motor oils designed for heavy-duty trucks and vehicles with diesel engines fall under API's "C" (Commercial) categories. Please see the Gasoline Engines and Diesel Engines charts on the next pages for descriptions of current and obsolete API service categories.

Per: https://www.api.org/~/media/Files/Certification/Engine-Oil-Diesel/Publications/2019%20EOLCS%20Motor%20Oil%20Guide.pdf

S is for "spark" (gassers).......C is for"compression" (diesels)....at least it is that classification here in EU
smile.gif

Thanks to all who replied, I learned a lot from this thread. I wasn't aware of the ACEA E specification. That makes searching a lot easier. I also didn't know that Shell Rotella was called Rimula here. I guess that explains why the Rotella cans I found were so expensive.

Both Rimula and Rotella are HDEO lines but are not equal.
What is the application and intended type of use? There is a probability that you're already using something more appropriate...

Learned something today - I too thought the 'C' in the API classification stood for 'compression' bc it was for diesel engines, and the 's' rating stood for 'spark' engines.

I was sure I'd reads that somewhere.

Pay attention to what Popsy said about A3/B4 oils, too. Those are stout and certainly suitable for small engines. The difference in North America is that A3/B4 products are customarily marketed as premium products and priced accordingly, whereas a conventional HDEO or even an appropriate monograde would be cheaper. Incidentally, my snowblower has an A3/B4 type lubricant in it now, albeit a fairly dated ACEA sequence.

Originally Posted by Rollins
Both Rimula and Rotella are HDEO lines but are not equal.
What is the application and intended type of use? There is a probability that you're already using something more appropriate...

I wanted to focus more on the specifications to look out for to be able to identify HDEOs myself, which is why I initially didn't post that information and didn't ask for specific oil recommendations. If you're curious, I have 2 Briggs & Stratton Engines, one is a 5HP Quantum on a push mower(124702 3106-01), the other one is a 9HP on a riding mower(190707 5851 01). Currently I use a GM 5W-30 dexos2 synthetic oil which has ACEA A3/B4 specifications.

Originally Posted by Garak
Pay attention to what Popsy said about A3/B4 oils, too. Those are stout and certainly suitable for small engines. The difference in North America is that A3/B4 products are customarily marketed as premium products and priced accordingly, whereas a conventional HDEO or even an appropriate monograde would be cheaper. Incidentally, my snowblower has an A3/B4 type lubricant in it now, albeit a fairly dated ACEA sequence.

That's reassuring. I'll use up my remaining 3l of the GM oil then, which should last me a while.

I have another question about oil recommendations for a Lifan Honda clone. I'll post a new thread in the small engine forum for that as a new thread seems more appropriate for that.

In Europe, you can use any engine oil that has in its description ACEA E9-16.

In USA, you can use any engine oil that meets API CK-4 or better still API FA-4.

15W40 is the viscometrics most widely used.

You can see your vehicle manual for the recommended oil. Otherwise, if you can message me your vehicle make & model, I can advise what engine oil to use.

These engine oils do not cost a fortune.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back