Tire Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is time for new shoes on the Bandit and would like your opinion on Michelin Pilot Power 2CT. I'm past the "drag the pegs" stage of my life and I'm looking for long wear and good traction in the dry with reasonable grip in the twisty sections. Don't drag pegs but I'm not dead either I'm currently running Conti RA2 evo. Nice grip light weight but squaring off way too fast ie. 4K miles.
Thanks gentlemen
Smoky

I'd look at any of the newest Sport Touring tires from Bridgestone, Michelin, Dunlop, Pirelli. I've tried quite a few of the current versions available around a roadracing track, (I have a friend who is a tire dealer based at a track) and they do surprisingly well. You have to be pushing a pace far above what you're describing, to overheat them to where they become greasy.

I know among friends who ride lots of miles every year (around 50k), with fairly spirited riding often (dragging pegs, etc.) they seem to currently like the Dunlop Roadsmart 3 for performance, wear, and price.

Michelin Pilot Road 4 or 5 for the best of both worlds. The best Jerry, the Best...
I worked at a dealer's parts department for over ten years and tried them all, at the time. Settled on Michelins. I have found no reason to stray. On my sport tourer It's P'roads and on the street/track day gsxr and TL1000 it's Power RS. The Roads are pretty amazing. Each new model, like the Powers, get better and better. Its a lot of personal preference with tires. Some only want something black, round and full of air. SHinkos, and Bridgestones do work fine. But for the best in tires, it's tough to beat Michelins.

Last edited:
I am on the third set of pilot roads on my c14. Most of the guys I ride with have changed to them. A little expensive but worth it if you want a big heavy bike to handle and the tires to last more than 3000 miles.

Originally Posted by ddtmoto
Michelin Pilot Road 4 or 5 for the best of both worlds. The best Jerry, the Best...
I worked at a dealer's parts department for over ten years and tried them all, at the time. Settled on Michelins. I have found no reason to stray. On my sport tourer It's P'roads and on the street/track day gsxr and TL1000 it's Power RS. The Roads are pretty amazing. Each new model, like the Powers, get better and better. Its a lot of personal preference with tires. Some only want something black, round and full of air. SHinkos, and Bridgestones do work fine. But for the best in tires, it's tough to beat Michelins.

How long ago did you work in a parts department, they've all improved dramatically in recent years. In my experience the P-Roads even in the latest 5 version don't like heat. They get greasy quicker than the other Sport-Touring tire options. They do very well in cool and wet weather however.

Bridgestones improved dramatically across their range, after years of being the sole supplier to MotoGP.

I usually run racing, trackday, and street sport compounds though, so my preference is about as far from Sport-Touring compounds as you can get.

Last edited:
For what you described, I would look at the Shinko 009 Raven. Ran them on my ZRX1200 for 10,600 miles on the rear, got another 2,000 miles from the front. A couple rider friends run them on their FJR1300's and are getting similar miles. They are the best value going comparing cost/treadlife. Also ran a set of Shinko Verge 011 and had about the same treadlife. Tried the Pirelli Angel GT, 7,500 miles tops out of the rear, and put a Shinko 005 Advance on the rear at that point for 5,000 miles (it was center worn by then) as I ran the front Angel GT down to finish it off.

Currently, I have a set of Dunlop Roadsmart III's on the ZRX. Got a great rebate when they came out a few years ago. Almost 7,500 miles on the set so far with 3.3mm remaining on the rear (started at 6.2mm) and 3.0mm remaining on the front (started at 3.7mm). More $$ than the Shinko, however dang fine handling tires and handling hasn't fallen off one bit as they get more miles. Will probably get a new rear when this one wears out and continue to run the front tire down. I may get close to 10,000 miles from the rear, using 2mm tread as the replacement threshold.

Shinko is hard to beat overall, don't be put off by guys that turn up their noses because it is a "B list" tire. Experience tells me they are good to go!

Originally Posted by Bonz
For what you described, I would look at the Shinko 009 Raven.

Just what I was going to recommend. I wouldn't have considered them, but after reading several posts on the ZRXOA forum, I decided to give em a try, and I'm glad I did. Working just fine on my ZRX1200R.

Shinko bought Yokahama motorcycle tire division in the 90's. Engineering and design is done in Japan, plants are located in South Korea.I am looking at using them next tire change.

A tire discussion is like an oil post. Like me everyone has an opinion, and that's cool. There are so many choices in tires nowadays. It's great. Most everyone makes really good tires. Some make fantastic tires. The last thirty years of advancing tire technology has been great to be part of on the street, at the track and in the shop. Many cases its personal preference, brand loyalty is fun when you find something that works for you, stick with it.. I look forward to the new tire models from Michelin ... Tires get better and better. Good for us, the end user... I need to go for a ride...enjoy

check the crown profile of the P2CT against your current tyres as this will make a big change to the bike steering response.

pilot power 3 had a slightly rounder crow better mileage that 2CT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back