Dash Cam 101

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend of mine,Mike, with a three year old Subaru Impreza, wants me to install a dash cam in his car. He wants the dash cam because of the atrocious driving he witnesses and wants to protect himself in case he becomes involved in a collision. He wants the front and rear cams.
Neither Mike, nor I, have any experience whatsoever with dash cams. I am looking for advice on what features to look for, and brands when buying a dash cam. Installation advice also appreciated. Thanks.

you can either get 2 seperate ones or a front and back model and run wiring.

Most people will recommend getting a "high endurance" model microsd for recording.

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Endurance-Monitoring-Adapter-SDSDQQ-032G-G46A/dp/B00V5Q1N1I?th=1

Min size I would get is 64GB.

High end cameras will support h.265 to save some space.

Do they want to be able to read license plates or just for driving protection?

1080p seems to be the smallest resolution worthwhile.. there are 1440p models.. the good 4k resolution models are very $$$

Do they have a rear hatch or is it sedan? With the hatch mounting shutting the hatch can move the camera.. you need better mount sometimes.. unless they have the push button close type.

What is the budget for this?

This would be the gold standard for 4k ($500)
https://www.amazon.com/BlackVue-DR9...;qid=1559998470&s=gateway&sr=8-8

you can get a budget 2 channel model for around $100

It's not hard.

I've installed a few in my personal vehicle

You'll either be dealing with 2 or 3 wires

Ground, switched 12v, and possibly a constant 12v for parking mode

Tucking wires behind trim, mounting the camera in an optimal position for the best view

If your doing a dual channel, getting the camera lined up in the rear window is important

Mine came in handy just yesterday, I got rear ended

But that's a story for another day.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by michaelluscher
It's not hard.

I've installed a few in my personal vehicle

You'll either be dealing with 2 or 3 wires

Ground, switched 12v, and possibly a constant 12v for parking mode

Tucking wires behind trim, mounting the camera in an optimal position for the best view

If your doing a dual channel, getting the camera lined up in the rear window is important

Mine came in handy just yesterday, I got rear ended

But that's a story for another day.

Careful with those windshield mount, they are illegal or at the very least attract attention from possible overzealous law enforcement. Questions like hey that is mounted from a windshield, and the state says its fine but our town says it is unsafe, here is your ticket, by the way what's your full name and DOB and where you headed today

Not only that, but they make you a target for a smash and grab. Any way to mount them so they are not on the dashboard?

Ground, switched 12v, and possibly a constant 12v for parking mode - wired in a 12v voltage regulator off the driver side fuse box to prevent draining the battery all the way. Between the alarm and dash cam it adds up.

Tucking wires behind trim, mounting the camera in an optimal position for the best view - that was the most time consuming part for me. That plastic trim tool is a wise investment IMO, oh and make sure that the rear cam wire is long enough. Mine came up just short and I had to splice in a length of wiring..

Originally Posted by talest

Not only that, but they make you a target for a smash and grab. Any way to mount them so they are not on the dashboard?

Mine comes off easily, i just throw it and the mount into the glove box. The only thing you can "see" is the dangling power. But you really have to look to notice it.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Originally Posted by George7941
A friend of mine,Mike, with a three year old Subaru Impreza, wants me to install a dash cam in his car. He wants the dash cam because of the atrocious driving he witnesses and wants to protect himself in case he becomes involved in a collision. He wants the front and rear cams.
Neither Mike, nor I, have any experience whatsoever with dash cams. I am looking for advice on what features to look for, and brands when buying a dash cam. Installation advice also appreciated. Thanks.

You don't want to do this. You can open oneself up to civil/criminal liability is you do not provide/destroy footage from your camera which would show you, the driver, are at fault.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl

You don't want to do this. You can open oneself up to civil/criminal liability is you do not provide/destroy footage from your camera which would show you, the driver, are at fault.

That's not necessarily true.

The 4thAm protects you (and your cell phone or dash cam) from unreasonable search and seizure. Generally speaking, law enforcement would need a search warrant, subpoena or some exigent circumstance (like in the immediate aftermath of a terrorist act) would need to exist in order for law enforcement get a hold of your dash cam/cell phone/laptop etc. If an insurance company were to subpoena the footage on your dash cam, you are obligated to preserve it upon being subpoenaed until then, and.lacking any legal obligation to preserve the footage, you can do what you want with it - you own it. Period. You can not be guilty of "obstruction" ex post facto (retroactively) because at the time you deleted the footage there was no legal obligation or duty to preserve it.

You might find this👇 article of interest. It addresses precisely the circumstance you're describing and the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals (up)held that an officer had no right to confiscate a digital device at an accident scene. Then of course the fruits of any illegal seizure then becomes inadmissible.

https://flarecord.com/stories/51138...at-accident-scene-violated-4th-amendment

Last edited:
I've been really happy with the 2 VanTrue WIFI cameras I bought a couple years ago for my wife's car, and my own. It's great being able to review video, and save on your phone too. I think they were around $150 ea. Never know when it might come in handy, plus anything crazy that might show up.

Last edited:
Careful with those windshield mount, they are illegal or at the very least attract attention from possible overzealous law enforcement. Questions like hey that is mounted from a windshield, and the state says its fine but our town says it is unsafe, here is your ticket, by the way what's your full name and DOB and where you headed today

These are all valid points

Now I'm only speaking from experience, of a 6 day a week, 3+ hour a day commute in the alleged [censored] that is NYC

I can't go more then 10 days or so without a run in with our alleged pain in the [censored] NYPD

Countless traffic stops, state inspections, insurance inspections, valets, parked on the street, parked at work in a lot, now up to 2 car accidents

Just about everything over the past 4 years

My dashcam and it's placement have been THE LEAST of my problems

If it was going to be a problem or liability, I'd like to think I'd have found out by now

It's earned nothing but praise from LEO, Insurance people, and my wallet

At this point in the game, I'm more concerned about someone slashing tires, smashing glass, or crow-barring the radio before they go for the camera

Mounted correctly, you'd be hard pressed to know its there

For reference
[Linked Image]

This is a good and correct install

[Linked Image]

This is a terrible install

If you do this, your install is bad and you should feel bad.

Originally Posted by Gasbuggy
Way too many cheap dash cams out there. I would buy a Garmin

Garmin dash cams are made by a known and very reputable company.

Interestingly, the Garmin ones can integrate multiple cameras. So, their most inexpensive camera without display can be used as rear and/or side facing cameras. And you can watch the video on your phone.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

That's not necessarily true.

The 4thAm protects you (and your cell phone or dash cam) from unreasonable search and seizure. Generally speaking, law enforcement would need a search warrant, subpoena or some exigent circumstance (like in the immediate aftermath of a terrorist act) would need to exist in order for law enforcement get a hold of your dash cam/cell phone/laptop etc. If an insurance company were to subpoena the footage on your dash cam, you are obligated to preserve it upon being subpoenaed until then, and.lacking any legal obligation to preserve the footage, you can do what you want with it - you own it. Period. You can not be guilty of "obstruction" ex post facto (retroactively) because at the time you deleted the footage there was no legal obligation or duty to preserve it.

You might find this👇 article of interest. It addresses precisely the circumstance you're describing and the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals (up)held that an officer had no right to confiscate a digital device at an accident scene. Then of course the fruits of any illegal seizure then becomes inadmissible.

https://flarecord.com/stories/51138...at-accident-scene-violated-4th-amendment

Cell phone is not the same as a dash cam.

Cell phone is not the same as a dash cam.

No duh.. but it's still a recording device. It makes no difference to a court if you were using a cell phone or a dash cam or an endoscope fresh out of your butt, attached to your laptop to record...a police officer can not arbitrarily confiscate your device. Period. Neither can they tell you to turn it off, turn it on or give them the footage, lacking an exigent circumstance like a murder or street riot (-an auto accident doesn't supercede your 4thAm right) or a court warrant or subpoena. /end of discussion.

Last edited:

These are all valid points

Now I'm only speaking from experience, of a 6 day a week, 3+ hour a day commute in the alleged [censored] that is NYC

I can't go more then 10 days or so without a run in with our alleged pain in the [censored] NYPD

Countless traffic stops, state inspections, insurance inspections, valets, parked on the street, parked at work in a lot, now up to 2 car accidents

Just about everything over the past 4 years

My dashcam and it's placement have been THE LEAST of my problems

If it was going to be a problem or liability, I'd like to think I'd have found out by now

It's earned nothing but praise from LEO, Insurance people, and my wallet

At this point in the game, I'm more concerned about someone slashing tires, smashing glass, or crow-barring the radio before they go for the camera

Mounted correctly, you'd be hard pressed to know its there

This is a good and correct install

This is a terrible install

If you do this, your install is bad and you should feel bad.

Stop the double-spacing after every sentence perty-please! This is just as bad as typing replies in all Caps. More difficult to read and increases eye strain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back