15w30 Universal Tractor Oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was unsure if I should be putting this here, in the transmission section or in the tractor section.

Our Defender 300TDi is due its yearly fluid changes.

I'm considering using Castrol Transmax Agri MP 15w30 in the engine and the gearbox.

https://www.castrol.com/en_gb/unite...culture.html#tab_transmax-agri-mp-15w-30

The Defender manual from 1996 states that the engine requires an API CE or ACEA B2:96 oil along with a viscosity/temperature chart that contains everything from a 5w30 to a 10w60.

The manual R380 gearbox requires ATF Dexron IID or a 75w80 API GL-4 gearbox oil.

The truck gets very light use, never tows, never gets used below freezing and doesn't do more than a few thousand miles a year.

My reasons for wanting to choose this oil are...
1. Price. I can get 20 litres for £55 making it extremely cheap for an engine oil here in the UK.
2. Brand. It's cheap and it made by a large manafacturer.
3. I'm assuming this oil is a blend. It has a pour point of -42. So I'm assuming it will have little to no VII to shear.
4. It saves me buying separate oils for the engine and gearbox.

What do we think chaps?

Last edited:
While I love the universal tractor fluids, I wouldn't use them in a modern(ish) TDI.

I seriously was nearly there on my 2003 Navara...and given your use, I can't see a reall issue developing with it.

I've found that Mobil Agri 424 is a very inexpensive tranny oil...and regular 10W40 Magnatec will probably get you where the engine needs to be.

There's been a few discussions here that modern SAE 30W oil is probably a 15W-30, just not labeled as such, especially if it's the newer SN formula.

However, that stuff does not:

MEETS OR EXCEEDS INDUSTRY STANDARDS:
API CE/SF/GL-4;
ZF TE-ML 06B*, 07B;
Meets Ford M2C159-C, John Deere JDM J27, Massey Ferguson M1139;
Suitable for use where Case MS 1207, Ford M2C86-B or John Deere JDM J20C are specified;

I would say it might be fine (though possibly too light) for the gearbox, but I have concerns using it as engine oil.

Originally Posted by Shannow
While I love the universal tractor fluids, I wouldn't use them in a modern(ish) TDI..

That VOA was onced posted also in this section...and got deleted every sungle time...dunno why?

https://www.oil-club.ru/forum/topic/7426-pennasol-stou-10w-30-svezhee/

It shows that STOU oil is basically a decent HDEO oil
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Shannow
While I love the universal tractor fluids, I wouldn't use them in a modern(ish) TDI.

I seriously was nearly there on my 2003 Navara...and given your use, I can't see a reall issue developing with it.

I've found that Mobil Agri 424 is a very inexpensive tranny oil...and regular 10W40 Magnatec will probably get you where the engine needs to be.

Just the guy I wanted to reply! When I was googling tractor fluids your name popped up quite a lot.

What was the reason you never did try it in your Navara? The 300TDi isn't modern by any standards, it's mechanically injected, has pushrod actuated valves and has no EGR or DPF.

Originally Posted by Linctex

I would say it might be fine (though possibly too light) for the gearbox, but I have concerns using it as engine oil.

Unsure if I agree with too light for the gearbox. Technically this oil is around a 75w80.Too light for the engine maybe, 100°c viscosity is around 10cst. Unsure what the HTHS is, I imagine an oil like this would be 3.5 or higher.

Originally Posted by Kamele0N
Ehhh....at least here Elf NFJ 75w80 is so cheap... I would use that in your gearbox

https://m.autodoc.co.uk/elf/12744115

Regarding your engine...dunno why any STOU oil would mot suffice (Shannow?)....autodoc "shell rimula" and you have plenty of options...

£9/litre I don't consider particularly cheap. Certainly about right. By the time you add delivery onto that too it gets a bit expensive.

This Castrol Agrifarm stuff is £2/litre or so

I'm considering using Castrol Transmax Agri MP 15w30 in the engine and the gearbox.

I think it will work well.

Just make sure Doc Martin from Portwenn gets a ride in your truck.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back