Recommendation for leather trim seats?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My most recent new to me car (Highlander in sig) has leather trim seats. I have noticed a moderate amount of grime, not only in the leather part, but in the vinyl as well.

I would like a product that can clean up some of this grime, as well as protect the leather from cracking. Or do leather seats no longer do this? Ideally the same bottle would do both. Cleaning up the grime isn't absolutely crucial--its not incredibly dirty, but if I can get some of that stuff off, I'd be happy. I'm not talking about stains, just your basic grime that builds up over 13 years.

Any recommendations for a product I can apply?

Collinite leather and vinyl wax.
[Linked Image]

There are a number of good products. The key is to not use too much product during the cleaning. Sonax and Gyeon make excellent leather cleaning products.

To protect after cleaning I like Gyeon Leathercoat. It has a silica dioxide component in it. Again a little goes a long ways but it protects against the elements and any spills that might occur. It leaves a low satin finish.

$18 for a bottle is a bit more than I was thinking I'd be paying, although if I had to, it would be worth it to clean & preserve those seats.

Originally Posted by paulri
$18 for a bottle is a bit more than I was thinking I'd be paying, although if I had to, it would be worth it to clean & preserve those seats.

It is pricey but again a little goes a long ways. I've had my bottle of Leathercoat for almost two years now. It's not even halfway used.

Right now I am using Sonax interior cleaner matte finish. I use it on everything so that is a less expensive option. That way you don't have multiple bottles of products for specific tasks. This one cleans soft as well as plastic including the piano black and clear areas as well.

https://www.autogeek.net/sonax-dashboard-cleaner.html

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Go to Walmart and buy a bottle of Turtle Wax Luxe Leather Cleaner and Conditioner.
[Linked Image]

I find this works pretty well but the Meguiars Gold Class Rich Leather is the absolute best I have ever used.
At $6/bottle, it's hard to beat.

74352f1a-5621-4888-bb52-0fab8cfde5f8_1.7ed1a7a41b90f7ee0980714e75ee976b.jpeg

Last edited:
A little Tide in warm water with a soft bristle brush. Mr. Clean erasers can do wonders too.

Originally Posted by Toros

I find this works pretty well but the Meguiars Gold Class Rich Leather is the absolute best I have ever used.

Agree...works great here as well.

Originally Posted by bcossa2001
Diluted Woolite has worked successfully for me on seats and seat belts....

I agree. The leather is coated so special leather cleaners don't even touch the leather. Either Woolite or a vinyl cleaner will work well. This works extremely well:

https://surfcitygarage.com/products/dash-away%C2%AE-interior-detailer

Originally Posted by HYUNDAIFAN0001
Originally Posted by Toros

Agree...works great here as well.

Have used nothing but their pull out wipes on many vehicles …

With long term ownership in mind I steer clear of ANY leather product with silicone. ..and most leather products have silicone. Nasty stuff for cowhide from what I understand. 303 Leather cleaner spray works real well, Fiebings saddle soap from local leather shop has been great. Skidmore's leather cream is my choice on anything leather.

That's an interesting point. I have no idea if the seats are genuine leather or imitation leather that is leathery enough to be called so, in the US. But I'll see if the product I want has silicone in it, to be sure.

Originally Posted by ddtmoto
With long term ownership in mind I steer clear of ANY leather product with silicone. ..and most leather products have silicone. Nasty stuff for cowhide from what I understand. 303 Leather cleaner spray works real well, Fiebings saddle soap from local leather shop has been great. Skidmore's leather cream is my choice on anything leather.

Leatherique. 2 step process. Clean and moisturize.

You can call them for instructions. Works great on my cars.

Got a question, wife's leather trimmed seats on her CRV, has makeup stains on it. I think the makeup is oil based. Anyway, the seats are black and the makeup is a tan color. Kind of afraid to scrum it or use some sort of solvent. Any recommendations or will some of the cleaners mentioned here work?

I had some body work done on our Acadia a few years ago. Excellent body shop. When they finished they cleaned the seats with Murpheys Oil Soap. They cleaned up like new. They told me it worked better than anything they had used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back