who makes the best constructed filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by JerryBob
Originally Posted by bullwinkle
"Best", in my opinion, is the one that can hold up, without tearing, and do it's job for at least the factory OCI, or longer, preferably with a silicone ADBV (that doesn't get chewed up by bad machining/no deburring), for a non-ridiculous price.
#1 Fram Ultra (cheapest in the eBay 6 pack, can could be stronger)
#2 Royal Purple (cost higher, full syn & stronger can)
#3 Fleetguard Stratapore & Venturi (superior filtration, but $$$)
#4 Bosch Distance Plus (strongest can, blend media, hard to find, sometimes eats ADBVs)
#5 Mobil 1 (blend media, still somewhat expensive)
#6 Fram TG (blend media, silicone ADBV)
#7 Fram XG (new ones have silicone ADBV, sometimes pleat spacing shaky)
#8 Champ Ecore (decent media, don't push them too far)
#9 Premium Guard & other similar Chinese (lots of media, efficiency not great)
#DEAD LAST Purolator & other tearing Mann & Hummel offerings, which also have nitrile ADBVs that harden fast

What's the difference between Fram Ultra (#1), and the Fram XG (#7)? I though they were the same.
#7 should be EG, or Extra Guard. Sorry.

Originally Posted by JerryBob
"Best", in my opinion, is the one that can hold up, without tearing, and do it's job for at least the factory OCI, or longer, preferably with a silicone ADBV (that doesn't get chewed up by bad machining/no deburring), for a non-ridiculous price.
#1 Fram Ultra (cheapest in the eBay 6 pack, can could be stronger)
#2 Royal Purple (cost higher, full syn & stronger can)
#3 Fleetguard Stratapore & Venturi (superior filtration, but $$$)
#4 Bosch Distance Plus (strongest can, blend media, hard to find, sometimes eats ADBVs)
#5 Mobil 1 (blend media, still somewhat expensive)
#6 Fram TG (blend media, silicone ADBV)
#7 Fram XG (new ones have silicone ADBV, sometimes pleat spacing shaky)
#8 Champ Ecore (decent media, don't push them too far)
#9 Premium Guard & other similar Chinese (lots of media, efficiency not great)
#DEAD LAST Purolator & other tearing Mann & Hummel offerings, which also have nitrile ADBVs that harden fast

What's the difference between Fram Ultra (#1), and the Fram XG (#7)? I though they were the same.
#7 should be EG, or Extra Guard. Sorry.

I appreciate the clarification. I was worried I was buying the cheap filters
smile.gif

Originally Posted by AuthorEditor
Stick to Orginal equipment and you will be fine.... I personally think they are the best for your car.

They may be good for your car, but probably not the "best constructed." Oil filters are pretty simple things and most are very similar in design and construction. As long as you purchase the correct one for your vehicle I have no doubt that any one you purchase off the shelf at any auto parts store would provide more than sufficient protection for the life of the engine if you follow OCI recommendations. There may be some slight gain in going to a better built filter, but it is awfully hard to measure or else we would be seeing all the major companies touting their tests of two identical cars driven with different filters, showing the results.

+1

Originally Posted by David1
Stick to Orginal equipment and you will be fine.... I personally think they are the best for your car.. Remember car manufactures perform many tests to see what filters work best for a reason...

+1

That's what I've done, for the most part. The OE seems to be as well constructed as the Fram or WIX cartridges and I'm not going longer than a 5k oci soooo....

Last edited:
Originally Posted by nthach
OE, FU, Wix and German Mann/Mahle.

I actually got some Made in Indonesia Mahle filters for the truck in my sig at a local mom and pops part store. They stock oblivious not common in store filter brands such as Mahle, Mann, and Ecoguard.

These mahle filters are actually really beefy and heavy

Ultra has my vote! TG and PH filters are built well too, but XG is the top of the line when it comes to syn media filters in my book.

So going back to OP and looking for KPI's . Not many.
Best constructed IMO are Amsoil, Mobil 1, Royal Purple, Wix XP, etc, all of those with thick cans/base/paint. LL spec.
And there was mention of price not being a KPI.
Yet how well they filter, the price, the capacity, often gets us back to the Fram XG … so best value at price point and above? Having said all that … and having my newer (more expensive) vehicles for a while … have decided that between DI, 0w20 in powerful engines, and my schedule … there will be 6k oil changes for years to come.
I can use AC Delco for that …

Originally Posted by 4WD
So going back to OP and looking for KPI's . Not many.
Best constructed IMO are Amsoil, Mobil 1, Royal Purple, Wix XP, etc, all of those with thick cans/base/paint. LL spec.
And there was mention of price not being a KPI.
Yet how well they filter, the price, the capacity, often gets us back to the Fram XG … so best value at price point and above? Having said all that … and having my newer (more expensive) vehicles for a while … have decided that between DI, 0w20 in powerful engines, and my schedule … there will be 6k oil changes for years to come.
I can use AC Delco for that …

I feel the same way about the low mileage/beater type vehicles that I maintain (family's 2 Matrixes, Corolla, my GMC 6.2, etc.)-Premium Guard or AC Delco (preferably Classic) is plenty good enough for a 3-5000 mile, 12-18 month OCI on synthetic blend, along with whatever decent oil I can score cheap (Chevron Supreme, Valvoline MaxLife incl. NextGen ML), no need to use M1, M1 EP, even Magnatec on those.

Yes sir … witnessed a 5.3L GM go 400k on Mobil Super and the MO jobber filters … 5k OCI
Transmission, not engine, finally cried "help" …

Originally Posted by bbhero
Originally Posted by Yah-Tah-Hey
Originally Posted by PimTac

Denso

Thanks PT, you're the man.

Actually it's...

DENSO

lol.gif

Right you are bb. I'm staying away from the "D" word since my one year self-imposed hiatus. Perhaps I did get carried away with the one word reply. Thanks "D" guys.

I'd say M1, Royal purple and K&N and purolator Boss are 4 of the best constructed oil filters readily available.
Wix is always a great all around filter that's constructed plenty well for normal use.

Originally Posted by Pinoak
I'd say M1, Royal purple and K&N and purolator Boss are 4 of the best constructed oil filters readily available.
Wix is always a great all around filter that's constructed plenty well for normal use.

Hey you're back, where have you been? I thought maybe you left us.

Originally Posted by OILJUNKIE
I use the Purolator Boss because I like the metallic blue paint job. Don't judge.

It's a fine filter

It's a fine filter

Except that it actually doesn't filter all that fine though.
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted by Patman

It's a fine filter

crackmeup2.gif

Catchy ... "A fine filter that doesn't filter fine".

It's a fine filter

crackmeup2.gif

Exactly. Who left the door open?

Originally Posted by UncleDave
Originally Posted by addyguy
I would have to say the Fram Ultra, just bc the construction style seems to show the least 'effect' from long use.

Most filters use a single layer 'paper' style element, and even if it holds together, it will still often show some distortion in the media. Does not mean the filter doesn't work, but it just shows some movement of the media.

BC the Ultra uses the much thicker, wire backed, dual-layer media, it never shows any 'bending' of the media at all. Even after 20k, the media will be black, but still be the same shape and position.

The can is comparatively thin. about the only downside to that filter.

In an environment where the filter is exposed, it is easily nicked which can lead to rust. or penetrated.

- in a protected environment a thin can works even better with a magnet.

UD

I agree. That's my only problem with Fram. Super thin cans. I can smush the can with my bare hands.

It's a fine filter

crackmeup2.gif

Oh well since y'all are the experts lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back