Balance machines notice, Discount Tire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went for a rotation and balance yesterday and noticed a new sign over each Hunter balance machine." It's not OK, if it's not OK" Said they've had them for a few months at least.

Made appt. for 10:30 got there 10 min early, every bay occupied. Asked the counter guy, going to be able to get me? He said, next bay open you're up. Sure enough got me in at 10:30, two guys on it, done at 10:50. Counter guy now in shop saw me checking my brake pads, said good time to do that. Told him that I really appreciated that DT allows it to be done.

[Linked Image]

Wire cup brush taken to hubs to remove surface rust, SOP ime for DT rotation and balance.
[Linked Image]

I haven't purchased tires recently, but iirc last time ~$16 per tire for LT balance and rotation, also includes pro rated road hazard. I will tell you that with the exception of one tire, the other three are OE and the R&B service was FOC. Picked up something in the other early on that rendered tire un-repairable and unsafe. DT got me a prorated price on the new tire, just had to ask for it. Ymmv on balance with non DT purchased tire, but rotations always have been free. Most times the latter all that's needed anyway.

Originally Posted by E150GT
They must not have that sign at my discount because they never seem to get the balance correct the first time.

This has been my experience, too. Although I must admit that I haven't been to DT in 2 years...maybe they are better balancers now.

Discount tire is a great company. Some of the issues the have are due to the success of the brand. I've used them for the past decade and have never had an issue with them or the customer service. I highly recommend an appointment to cut down on the wait time. If you are walking in with a problem it's gonna be a while, but always great service.

Originally Posted by Tdog02
Discount tire is a great company. Some of the issues the have are due to the success of the brand. I've used them for the past decade and have never had an issue with them or the customer service. I highly recommend an appointment to cut down on the wait time. If you are walking in with a problem it's gonna be a while, but always great service.

Same here. Been using DT almost exclusively for tires. Really no complaints that I can think of.

Originally Posted by Tdog02
I highly recommend an appointment to cut down on the wait time. If you are walking in with a problem it's gonna be a while, but always great service.

I do like Discount Tire so this isn't a complaint, but my experience with having an actual appointment really depends on the day and if it's a busy time. An "appointment" on a Saturday at 3:30 doesn't mean a whole lot.... An appointment at 1pm on a Monday, yeah, that usually works out fine.

We don't have Discount Tire in this area. Wish we did!

The local chains and independents are expensive and the Walmarts employ inexperienced and ham fisted guys to mount and balance.

Originally Posted by atikovi
What they charge for a balance on dem newfangled machines?

The pictured machine isn't new.
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
My local Discount Tire has only one problem they don't do alignments so they don't get my business.

None of the DT locations do alignments, it's not part of their business model. Nor brakes, suspension, or oil changes...its Discount Tire by design.

My local DT consistently exceeds my expectations in customer services. Techs alert me to suspension or brake pad/rotor issues, plus I tip the techs for good work.

Originally Posted by LotI
….None of the DT locations do alignments, it's not part of their business model. Nor brakes, suspension, or oil changes...its Discount Tire by design.
Precisely, "by design". DT/AT does tire sales, installation and services them after the sale. They also provide free RMA puncture repair and rotations to all regardless of where purchased.

If I need an alignment I'll go to an alignment shop. That said, try to stay out of those places, ime less messing with alignment the better. In the last 10 years may have had one at dealer after a DT purchase. They never touched the suspension, or centered specs. Said within spec and sent me on my way. Fool me once... Now stick to regular rotations.

Truthfully say in ~15 years only one incident after a DT r&b. Steering wheel vibration at highway speed after leaving store. Brought it back, they rechecked each one. Turned out a bent OE steelie that got rotated to front. They showed it to me spinning on balance machine. Bought a used one from a nearby Honda boneyard, problem solved. As an aside, what's hard to comprehend is if one is consistently not satisfied with the service experience anywhere, why return. Only thing I can figure is any negatives must be significantly out weighed by the positives.
Originally Posted by cpayne5
We don't have Discount Tire in this area. Wish we did!.....
Seeing your display location, DT has opened new stores in Eastern Va in the last few years. Looks like they got about 5 stores in Norfolk, Newport News, Va Beach area. And five more in Richmond area. Appears that's as far north as they go in Va. Nothing in western or central Va. yet. They did open a new store in Greenville NC within the last year, that's been very convenient for a family member.

There are 2 DTs near me, one small and older, one new and bigger.
I used to go to the old small one, until one day I went there to get new tires for my wife's minivan, and was told by the counter person that the van took a special, discontinued size and that to get them he would have to special order and that it would be some time to get them, if he could at all.
I left the store and went to the firestone place up the street. They had the correct tire in stock, and at a good price. I asked the firestone person if there was anything special about the tire or its size. He said no, it was a regular size that he carried in stock. I haven't been to a DT since then.

I've been using DT for the last few years now and they always seem to do a pretty good job and don't bash my stuff around.

Just had a set mounted the other day and it was $25 a tire. Broken down oddly, but whatever.

$5 ea for dismount
$5 ea for mount
$15ea for balance

Price included new grommets for the TPMS sensors and valves.

They've also done a really good job with balancing in the past, even for my (former) picky to balance for car (Miata).

Originally Posted by ctechbob
I've been using DT for the last few years now and they always seem to do a pretty good job....
Been going to my mechanic for 15 years. He earns his money & I like to pay him money for his friendliness, sociability, excellent work....... & he flies a helicopter, showing me photos & videos of our lovely Washington state.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Sayjac
Originally Posted by cpayne5
We don't have Discount Tire in this area. Wish we did!.....
Seeing your display location, DT has opened new stores in Eastern Va in the last few years. Looks like they got about 5 stores in Norfolk, Newport News, Va Beach area. And five more in Richmond area. Appears that's as far north as they go in Va. Nothing in western or central Va. yet. They did open a new store in Greenville NC within the last year, that's been very convenient for a family member.

Good info. Hopefully they push farther north. I'm in north-western VA.

The guys at my local DT are great, but they rush the job too much. Last weekend was the 2nd time in a row that I had tires installed, and had to go right back because one or more of the wheel weights came unglued and fell off in my driveway.

My DT is literally 1/4 mile from my house, so I walked home after I dropped it off for the install. I was barely in the door and sat down, and they called to tell me it's ready. I like quick, but that's too quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back